What's new

Oscars - Steve Martin has offered to host next year (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Letterman's problem is he tried to turn the Oscars into the Late Show. He even brought a dog out to chase his own tail. Now that's pretty bad. Even Hanks had a look about him that said what are you doing Dave. I love Dave, and he is funny. He's also very witty. I think he would be fine, but he went overboard in trying to be funny last time. Even he admits that he was bad.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
The first time Whoopie did it, she went out of her way to be vulgar and I was disgusted. This time she did it right, but I never want to see her again. Leno would make a perfect host.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I think hands down, the best person for the job would be the very witty Nathan Lane. If he turned it down, I'd offer it to Steve Martin.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I love Steve so this sounds great to me. If I had to choose from prior hosts, he'd definitely be my choice.

I'd like to see someone new/"cool" host. Someone like Kevin Spacey, Steve Zahn and Parker Posey. Now THAT would be an Oscar show worth watching.

Thanks for the (potentially) good news, Vickie!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I think they should try to lure Johnny Carson out of retirement to do it.

Didn't he host a couple many, many years ago?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Tina Fey

Eddie Murphy

Lure Johnny Carson out of retirement

Those are my top 3 choices.

Sincerely,

John "Bonus selection: Robin Williams, but only if he's in his 80s improvising, anything-goes style" Kilduff

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Steve Martin would be a good choice but I would really like to see John Cleese at helm. Maybe with some of his fellow Pythoners popping in for comedy bits here and there throughout the show. Of course that will never happen.

Maybe the best idea is to simply not have a host. Have someone introduce the awards with a monologue of sorts and from there on out you just have the presenters. This would help keep the show length down as well.

-Keith

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
There's only one problem with hiring Robin Williams to do it. If you thought the show was long this year, wait until Robin goes off in one of his comedy skits. The show would last all night with him hosting.

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what's sadder about this quote of Martin in the original post of this thread: that it comes from his appearence on "The View" last week, or that I actually watched it and recognized the quote instantly?

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I would also like to see Steve Martin do it again next year.

I also love the idea of the duo of Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller. Those two had one of the best bits this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks