What's new

Orson Welles' The Trial - which version to buy? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I just noticed a new set of DVDs titled "Citizen Welles" which includes his film "The Trial."
The packaging on the new release indicates a 1.85:1 AR for this film. According to www.imdb.com it should be 1.66:1. It claims that the film is "fully restored" with a remixed 5.1 soundtrack.
I notice also that Image released this film. I assume this version is probably discontinued now, but I know where to get one. According to the Image package, they present it in 1.66:1, but I couldn't find any reference to the sountrack (I'd rather have the original). Image claims that the film was transferred from "pristine" 35mm elements.
Can anyone comment on the overall quality of these releases and which version they feel is superior? Right now, I'm probably leaning towards Image.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I saw this set offered at Amazon, but I gotta say I was rather leary of the "fully restored" aspect of the package after buying the Laserlight "digitally restored" set. Of course I knew it wasn't digitally restored and I picked up the set at Costco for $12 just for kicks. I havent seen any of these films. Mr. Arkadin looked terrible. Probably the single worst looking movie I've ever seen on DVD. Havent managed to check The Trial and The Stranger yet in that set, but if they are anything like the previous . . .Sorry I cant offer much, but I can say stay away from Laserlight.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The version distributed by Image is actually put out by Milestone Films. Although I've not watched the DVD, they tend to be pretty reliable for quality---certainly light years ahead of Laserlight and the like. I'd say that's probably the one to go for.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I rather suspected that consensus might be for Image.
I checked and it does appear to be discontinued, resulting in me soon to be $50 poorer as a result of having to pick it up ASAP. :)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've got the Image disc, Rain, but have never seen the other one you mention. It is 1.66:1 with the original mono soundtrack. It looks quite good, though not anamorphically-enhanced. There are some specs and flecks that show up early on, but I'm sure you'll be pleased with the overall image. If you've only ever seen the old VHS version, then prepare to be astonished - the level of detail on this DVD is worlds better.

But the soundtrack is another matter. I presume this is the original mono track (I doubt there were others). Even though it was largely post-synced, the dialog is barely audible at times, and generally rather thin even at its best. And I can only imagine what a mess it would be remixed into 5.1 (which strikes me as a very silly idea).

Not knowing anything about this new release makes it impossible to compare. But my gut tells me it's likely to suck and that you're better off with the Image version. Wish I could be more help!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this on 16mm at one of the campus film societies, back in the day when there were such creatures, and the sound was terrible on that as well and I was constantly straining to figure out the dialogue. This may just be a problem with the movie itself.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Mark Zimmer
Madison, WI USA
[1770 posts]
I had *NO IDEA* the HTF has been around that long!!! :D

Nathan_H

Second Unit
The IMAGE DVD of The Trial is the one to get.

Sad to say, the best Arkadin (Confidential Report) is the laserdisc from Criterion.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
That's right, I've been posting here since I was nine years old, 32 years ago. Hey sonny, don't step on the beard! :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Thanks for your help, guys.
Just picked up the Image disc.
:)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Look at the rainbow effect on the screenshots on compare.dvdbeaver.com. Does this mean both DVDs were made from composite masters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks