What's new

Lots of Anchor Bay news at AICN (re: Halloween 6, Orson Welles, John Carpenter, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Just thought I'd point out this article I read this morning over at www.aint-it-cool-news.com
"Let me say that the upcoming Evil Dead special edtion will blow your socks off. Also a 4 disc box set featuring all three films and a 4th special features disc will be out around the same time next year as the Evil Dead dvd.
Coming out very soon are Brand new transfers of Heathers,Halloween (we tried so hard to pick up the rights from goodtimes for part 2 and 3.but Universal wanted to do there own so called Special Editions.Our plan was to make a Halloween 1-6.We were trying to get the producers cut rights to h6..Which still might happen).Both Hellrasier 1 and 2 are also getting a Special Edition make over...Bad Taste has a Great limited 2 disc set coming out...Ok but here are the real news makers. I pretty much have 3 big stories for you. First off..
As you may or may not know Anchor bay and Disney have worked togther in the past. With films disney did'nt plan or want to release or Re-release on dvd.(Return to Oz,Black hole to name a few)..Well I don't know if any one remembers the Flop Judge Dredd?...Yeah Thats the film that was taken away from the director because Stallon was a cry baby!..Danny Cannon Has decided if he could sit down and do his own cut of the film it might be ALOT better..Is this possible?..Anchor Bay will work with disney's Hollywood pictures (whats left of it) to produce Danny Cannon's cut of Judge Dredd..This is a very possible Early 2003 DVD.
The Second Big deal is something that will be of more intrest to some..John Carpenter has stated he realy wants to do a DVD version of The directors cut to Escape from New York..MgM's DvD rights runs out in around 8 months..Mr. Carpenter really wanted to produce a nice box set with both New york and L.A...But Mgm does'nt want to renew the contract..And Paramont really does'nt want to Re-release l.a.or buy the rights to N.Y...So Anchor Bay have stepped in..They are currently talking to the right holders of both films and possible extra features. An escape directors collectors set?..That would be cool.If everything goes well this is another early 2003 release.
Here is what I feel is the BIG NEWS..Basicly Anchor Bay has been keeping this one HUSH HUSH . Film freaks and Fan boys I give you Brand new cleaned up transfers of classic films Anchor Bay Calls..
THE ORSON WELLES COLLECTION
The Stranger (1946)
Mr. Arkadin (1955)
The Trial (1963)
Chimes at Midnight (1965)
The Deep (1970)
Orson welles (2002)
Thats right..Great Special Editions of some classic Welles films that up until this set is released have had Shitty or no Dvd Versions.You'll also notice that THE DEEP is in there.Well as you know this was Welles version of DEAD CALM (later remade with billy zane and sam neil).This film was never finished and the lead actor died by the time Welles got around to finishing it. In 1997 it was rumored that there was enough footage to put the film togther..Well A private restoration group has been working on this since 1999 and finally this film will get a release next fall. Also a brand new Welles Documentary film produced by Anchor Bay will join this Collectors set.. Each film will Have extra features...Some larger than Others..But I must say the New transfer of The Trial is amazing. Next to Citizane Kane,The trial and The Stranger are my favorite welles films it's great to see these with quality DVD versions."
Sounds like Anchor Bay has some interesting things on the horizon. Why didn't they mention much of this in the last chat?

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Sounds like Anchor Bay has some interesting things on the horizon. Why didn't they mention much of this in the last chat?
Maybe because it's not real? :) I have a tough time believing some of this, particularly the new Halloween transfer and new special edition releases of the first two Hellraiser movies. The transfer on the current Halloween disc(s :)) is wonderful, and Anchor Bay already has decent special editions of Hellraisers 1 & 2 on DVD.
The spelling and grammar truly terrify me.
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site
[Edited last by Adam Tyner on October 22, 2001 at 03:44 PM]

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I too am skeptical of some parts of the article, but I felt like it needed to be reported, if for no other reason, than to show what all is going around out there.
I hope some of it's true, but you never know. Just reporting what I read, since nobody else reported it.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
...some of this is very old news...and some of it is unlikely news...the whole article or press release sounds bogus.
1. why would MGM prep an SE of ESCAPE/NY only to lose it 6 months later?
2. PARAMOUNT allowing AB to do ESCAPE/LA?
One thing that IS true: this EVIL DEAD SE business is getting out of hand...
------------------

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Greetings and Salutations
I am also a bit skeptical about some of the news since most of the titles mentioned are already out. Hellraiser already has SE'S
Oh well we can hope for H6 : PC
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
* Takes out a rifle gun and shoots Wes
oops, I forgot you only reported it
laugh.gif

Only Joking Buddy, Thanks
[Edited last by Ricky f on October 22, 2001 at 04:18 PM]

Kenneth English

Second Unit
No offense intended, it's just that AICN is NOT known for the reliability of the "news" they report. Nice of you to point this out though... :)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
This is complete bullshit (no bodily harm intended to the messenger
wink.gif
).
Although I'd love AB to do some Orson Welles films :D.
Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You know, I've sent Harry quite a few tidbits regarding Episode 2, Spider-Man, and a bunch of other in-production flicks. The only thing he ever printed was when I went to an Orson Scott Card signing and he was talkiing about the Ender's Game Movie
And you know what? Every bit of info I've given him shows up on another website as long as 4 months later. Example:
Spoiler:The Jedi Kindergarten in Episode 2, a pic of the kids shows up on Ep2 Select 3 weeks later, and he STILL doesn't print it
Only thing I rely on is the advance Buffy reviews at AICN
Jeff Kleist

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I find most of this AB info unlikely. Just my thought
I have to say, though not 100% accurate, Harry (and his spies) get's most of it right when it comes to films in production...the Coaxial News site (which this was reported under) is VERY unreliable for DVD info, though I will give them the SW Ep. 1 DVD prediction, which they posted back in March/April!
I just think he has a very infectious love of movies, that's what I love about the site.
Jim
patriot.gif

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
As long as we're ranking on AICN, the people who post replies to their stories (on the AICN site, not here!) seem to be an assortment of 4th graders, at best. A strange site, with annoying pop up ads. But I visit all the time...

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
With all the good things the Internet has given us, it still must take responsibility for unleashing Harry Knowles on the world.
tongue.gif

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
A lot of people criticize Dark Horizons for posting news which isn't exactly true, but recently I think AICN has been bad for this as well.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I would like to jump in here and just comment on how HAPPY Anchor Bay is making me with all the great movies they are putting out!!!!!
I think they should be commended for all their OAR releases!
And I think I should start a thread on how happy I am with Columbia Tristar also! The "Christine" DVD is gorgeous!
Sorry guy's I didn't mean to interrupt with my off-topic post.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 22, 2001 at 08:45 PM]

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Coming out very soon are Brand new transfers of Heathers....
Geez, I wonder if they read my comments posted a day or two ago
laugh.gif
Sorry but I very much doubt that Anchor Bay are working on a 3rd dvd of HEATHERS when only 2 or 3 people seem to have even noticed a problem on their most recent disc.
But who knows? This is Anchor bay we are talking about and rerelease upon rerelease seems to be the order of the day with those guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks