What's new

Opinons on system upgrade please (1 Viewer)

Jamie Shelton

Auditioning
Hey everyone. I'm new around here, but have been looking for a while, particularly at the fs/ft forums and I can tell yall know home theater, so I would like your opinions on a few things. First off, I bought an Onkyo HT-S760 HTIB in Nov. 2004 and for a beginner system, I think this is decent, but I want more performance now. I'm a college student and have a very limited budget, but I definitely want to upgrade my subwoofer, fronts and center if possible. The rears aren't so important to me at the moment b/c they aren't that bad. I was trying to keep price low on front and center b/c I am a bass-head. I was looking at the Velodyne CHT10, I found it for around $240 shipped. I was also looking at the Pioneer SH453FK (at CC) towers for fronts. Now the big dilemma is the center, I have no clue on that. I would like to keep it under $100 for the speaker, but would like something that will sound good and compliment the Pioneers. If I could please get some suggestions, opinions, ideas, whatever else you have to offer I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, btw, I like in an average size apartment and use my system 60% for movies and about 40% for music, so I want something that works well for both. Thanks in advance for the help.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
What's your budget including the sub and the size of the room you'll be playing it in?

Jamie Shelton

Auditioning
My budget will likely be somewhere between $400-$500. The room is about 12' X 14' roughly and it's carpeted (if that matters).

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Look at the Dayton 10" @PE (don't know how it stacks up against the Velodyne, but it's a great entry level sub, and can be caught on sale for 100.00).
should save ya some cash for the center

Jamie Shelton

Auditioning
The Pioneers went on sale last week for $100, so if I get them, it'll be when they go back on sale for that.

Joey_V

Second Unit
im not sure - but i think cc has a sale where if u buy some polk speakers - u get a sub for free.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

Crutchfield is running that right now, but I have hreard that their prices are notoriously high.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
You can get JBL S312's (remanufactured) for $166 each at harmanaudio.com. They are big suckers but should crank out some pretty good bass.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks