What's new

Opinions of Samsung Quality? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
What are the opinions of Samsung quality? I've been looking at the TXM2796HF/97HF. I noticed more than one post here about a dead RF input. I had seen the 2796HF on display at Best Buy, but it wasn't conneted, or so I thought. A few days later I was in BB, and the display was gone. They told me they had to send it to service because the couldn't get it to come on, that concerns me.

I've also seen a nice Zenith C27V22 at Circuit City, it's $699 right now and you get a $50 gift card instantly to boot. The Zenith also has the ability to turn off the internal speakers, a feature I really like.

Any comments appreciated,
BrianGC

Larry F.

Agent
Not sure but I had 2 AKAI/Samsungs from Sam's and ended up getting a JVC cause I got tired of boxing up tvs. When they worked correctly the AKAI 2790s I got were amazing. But both only lasted 2 weeks before problems showed up. Yes I was VERY disappointed. I really thought quality would be on a par with my 19" Samsung SyncMaster flat monitor (which is FANTASTIC BTW) but the tvs did not follow suit. So far the JVC has been very good (especially after a good calibration) but it just doesn't have the "punch" the AKAI did. To it's credit though I've not had to return it ;)

Steve Marsh

Stunt Coordinator
Just set up a friends 47" Samsung Tantus widescreen. Quality was not bad but IMO not as good as Tosh, Hitachi, Pioneer in the same size sets.
The image was quite good although I did notice that the spherical pattern oif the Fresnel lense was visible at the seating position on bright images especially in the extreame corner of the image.
To me the biggest difference in the quality between his Samsung and my old Tosh 56h80 was in the line doubler. Tosh was much better.
On the other hand I loved his remote and these days that is very important.
Just My Opinion.
Steve

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the 32" version of those sets the 95 model. I've loved it since the day I got it and have yet to have a single problem with it. The quality is excellent

Brad_V

Second Unit
Samsung is more of a budget brand than some of the higher-profile names, but you also can save a good bit of cash with a Samsung over a higher-profile brand and not give up much elsewhere. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Samsung to most people, and even though I don't know who pulls the strings at Zenith now, and even though word is the new ones are pretty good, I still can't find myself recommending a Zenith to anybody.

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
LG electronics owns Zenith, they used to sell under the Goldstar brand before they bought Zenith, not sure if they still do.

I use my VCRs heavily and I was concerned how the HD monitor would affect the picture quality. So I recorded a test tape in EP, to see the worst case, and then took to to Circuit City and had them hook up a VCR to the Zenith. As I feared the picture was terrible, very jittery. I'll goto Best Buy and do the same test with the Samsung. If the same happens I'll stick with an analog set for now, I rely too heavily on the VCRs for timeshifting etc.

BrianGC

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
No problems with my TSL3294hf. I cant see them being worse then Sony, etc as far as quality goes. As far as I am concerned the PQ on my TV is awesome. Long term reliability is an unkown, buyt no probs so far within the 1st 6 mos (to the day as a matter of fact)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would say that Samsung is as good as any of the bigger companies overall & Samsung has been trying to upgrade their brand image. I once read an article on Samsung that said they were the 10th largest makers of tv sets in the world & that by the year 2005 they were shooting to become the 5th largest. I just hope they don't go the RCA route & start banging out junk. I have friends who have 8 to 10 year old Samsung's & have never had a problem with them & I have another friend that had the power supply go out on his Samsung that was 5 years old. Most of the repair shops that I've talked to they tell me they really don't see many Samsung's but a ton of Proscan, RCA, GE, Zenith & Sony sets. But they also say they think that most owners of Sony sets seem willing to find out what it's going to cost to fix where as on the other brands owners might just be junking them so they never see them.

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
News regarding Samsung.

My local dealer was telling me about the new Samsungs coming out this fall.

One in particular Forty something inches, 15 inches deep, DLP II TECHNOLOGY, Sage Faraj. chip, basically all outsourced to top companies and about 4 grand. Apparantly this is a big potential way of the future for big screen tvs. The image is also supposed to blow anything away on the market. This dealer also carries top of the line Mits, Pioneer Elites and etc...

I am excited to see it.

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Great picture. No halos or red push if you turn the color saturation down a bit and the contrast down all the way. I'ts a good thing I'm in a basement. Tone is perfect and movements are excellent. The image looks better (probobly becasue it has more resololution and a finer screen) to me than the pannys I saw. It's a HCL 4715W Widescreen and yes, the service stinks. :)
I'm waiting for a replacement part (not sure which) and it will be my second.
First I waited since may and got my sceen cover replaced that was scratched in shipping. It turned out to be a better model screen cover which was good. Since August 5th I have been waiting for some part to fix these transparent outlines that are dark if next to white and light if next to dark. I can't really see them much since I moved my seat back about 11 feet.
Overall...I love my Samsung and it's why I'm waiting so long. If they can't fix it, I will just get something else however becasue I know their service stinks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks