What's new

Time for an upgrade (1 Viewer)

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Hello everyone,

I have been getting the bug lately to upgrade my home theater setup. Over the last ten years I have basically pieced and patched the system together. This time around I am wanting my system to work well together and purchase it systematically to be get exactly what I am looking for.

Current System:

50" Samsung Plasma TV - Not sure of the model #. It is about 10 years old.

Pioneer VSX-1023

Polk TSi400 speaker series (two front speakers and the center) Here is a reference

Klipsch monitor speakers for the back two speakers

Klipsch 12" Sub.

What I am wanting:
TV:
70"+ OLED. Not sure if I want to go Sony or LG. Any opinions?

The main reason I came to this forum is to get help with ideas for a new receiver and speakers.

Receiver:
I am wanting great features. At least 7.2, but preferably 9.2. Dolby Atmos capabilities. The most important features would be sound quality and sound performance. I am wanting to throw a lot of power at the speakers.
Budget - $1,500 - $3,000

Speakers:
I am wanting great all around speakers. Great low and high freq. Most importantly is the range of the speaker in terms of db. I want the speakers to be able to get loud. I listen to music frequently on my home theater, but I also watch many movies.
Budget - $2,000 - $3,000

Sub:
Great lows and range. I just want a great overall sub. My current sub points down at the floor, so I am not sure how that changes the sound perception compared to a sub that points laterally/towards you.
Budget - $500 - $1,000

Should I look at additional amplifiers along with the receiver? To get the sound I am wanting, should I only be looking at 4 ohm equipment? If I remember correctly the most important element (in terms of sound) is the speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the price range you are looking at for a receiver, you should consider whether you want to go with a pre/pro (preamp/processor) and an external amp(s) instead of a receiver. Pre/pros give you the benefit of upgrading the tech part of a receiver, the processing, without having to buy new amps every time. A good amp today will be a good amp 30 years from now. The downside is less choice and less ability to have the up-to-the-second features and processing modes, but usually with better sound quality. In my mind, spending over $1,500 on a receiver is a little foolish, but people just want their outrageously expensive receivers, even if separates are much better. There is also the option of spending a little less on the receiver, adding a 2-3 channel amp to drive the front channels and letting the receiver drive the surrounds.

Speakers are such a matter of personal taste. If I was in the market for the price range you are looking at, I'd lean heavily toward the Elac Uni-Fi series. UF5s and UC5 in the front and UB5s for surrounds. They don't have Atmos speakers in the Uni-Fi line, but they do in the Debut line. The main problem is those speakers are difficult to drive, so running them from a receiver probably isn't the best idea. You want a solid class A/B amp for them.

In general, I suggest spending less on the TV and more on the sub. $1K is about the minimum for a really good sub. You won't realize the TV is 10" smaller if the sound system is knocking you out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Right now, 65" OLEDs are around $3000 and 75" OLEDs are in the $10K-$15K range. I would wait another year on the TV. (Heck, if you really want to upgrade it now, you can get a low-end 75" 4K LED for under $2000 and just use it until the OLEDs come down, which shouldn't be that long. You'll still save five grand. :))

That's my plan, anyway!

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Thanks everyone. I think I will just settle for a 65". Paying an extra $7-8,000 for one a little bigger doesn't make too much sense.

I have never looked into preamps or an external amp. Could anyone go into this further and send a couple of good models?

pfar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I looked into preamps and external amps. I don't really understand the point of preamps. Is it meant to replace a receiver entirely or work with one? Does a preamp have any sort of amplifiers inside of it?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I keep having to ask the same questions for posts like yours :) but please discuss your room. Is it a shared space or a dedicated one? What are the approximate dimensions?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I looked into preamps and external amps. I don't really understand the point of preamps. Is it meant to replace a receiver entirely or work with one? Does a preamp have any sort of amplifiers inside of it?
Hopefully better late than never .... :)

A pre-amp does all the audio/video processing and has no amplifiers. It is connected to amplifiers, which are then connected to the speakers.

A “receiver” is an all-in-one device with both processing and amps. Higher-end receivers have pre-outs, so you can use external amplifiers in addition to or instead of your receiver’s internal amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks