What's new

BluRay and Bose Conundrum (1 Viewer)

NoSoup4U

Auditioning
Real Name
Clemens
Hi guys,
Firstly, thanks for your recommendations on what speaker/receiver combo to get. I do appreciate it! This community is comprised of true experts and I am grateful for your opinions!
It just so happened that a friend of mine had a Bose 235 2.1 lifestyle system and I liked the way it sounded at his place. He is leaving the country and offered the quasi new system to me for $1,000 and I just couldn't pass that up. Thanks in advance for keeping the flaming to a manageable minimum! :) It actually sounds quite decent in my small living room.

However, I still employ a dirt cheap bluray player which I'd like to replace with something real good. Of course, it doesn't make sense to out-perform the Bose system, but I would like to have a bluray player with excellent sound! I currently have a Roku and a 4k 3D Samsung TV. I often watch rock concerts on Bluray.
Here are my questions to you guys and feel free to let me know if I have a basic misunderstanding of how the flowcharts go.

1. Can I actually connect the audio out of a quality player with the Bose separately from HDMI? If yes, which inputs on the Bose should I use?

2. I am open to replacing the Roku with an Internet-ready BluRay if it means that my streaming (Netflix, Pandora and others) would use the advanced audio circuitry of the Player instead of going directly from Roku to Bose.

3. I am willing to spend good money on a player. I looked at Oppo BDP 103 or Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd. But I fear those players might be 'pearls before the swine' with a Bose system? Is the $400-700 range a better option or do I go even less?

4. If you have a suggestion for a bluray player with the above in mind (Aside from the naturally good picture quality, I am mostly interested in good sound), please let me know and I thank you in advance!

Clemens

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You’d have to have a high-end system (read tens of thousands of dollars) to be able to distinguish an audible difference with blu ray players, and even then only if you had the ears to hear it. So, no reason to waste money on the Oppo. Any middle-of-the-line player from one of the common brands will work fine, and even then you might not hear an audible difference compared to the cheapie you have now (more likely improved video, if anything). A HDMI connection is all you need. Just make sure you get a generous return policy for the player, as sometimes old and new HDMI components don’t play well with each other.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

NoSoup4U

Auditioning
Real Name
Clemens
Thanks Wayne! Since I have a 4k and 3d TV, I might want to have the option to use 4k or 3d Blu rays in the future. There's currently a Panasonic DMP-UB900 for sale at best buy where I still have a gift card for about $50, making it $550. Would that be an option? Thanks again, Clemens

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks