What's new

opening acts at concerts (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm in the minority...but this sounds like a double bill that I'd actually really like!

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
So yours is the only vote for both halves of the concert, and mine is the only vote for only the second half! I think all others who have expressed an opinion voted for only the first half...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
One of my favorite musicians I first heard as an opening act, Howie Day opening for Tori Amos. I was really impressed, and have been listening to him ever since.

Of course, I also saw Jakl opening for Aerosmith.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I had never heard of him -- I don't get out much ;) I just created a Pandora "Howie Day" station and they played "Ghost (Mix 6)". I really like it! I'll have to check out more of his stuff.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
I'm you Dave, went to Pandora and listened to two tracks by Apple.

ick.

I'd be there late with you to catch Coldplay only

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
About a year ago my boss was listening to a local country music station and they had a contest where caller 7 wins a CD, a DVD, a book, and are entered in a drawing for a trip to Chicago to see Wynonna Judd in concert. I gave the stuff to my boss but when the station announced that I won the trip I kept that for myself :)
Although the concert as a whole was entertaining I was more impressed with the opening act Mike Eldred than I was the headliner.
Mike's full time job as an opening act is bringing him back to town next month as part of another show. This time around I'm buying tickets to see the opening act and the feature performance is icing :)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Worst opening act EVER: The Tea Party for Lenny Kravitz 1991.

Bad music, bad singing and an even worse Jim Morrison wannabe.

Best opening act: Jason Mraz for Chantal Kreviazuk. Great music and the guy can sing his ass off.
I think for the U.S., she was his opening act.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
I havent' seen any real odd ball pairings, the only real one was when system of a down went on tour with Mars Volta as their opening act. Now the mars volta is a band that likes to do 20 minute songs with odd sounds thrown in the mix, while system tears through every song (no song is over 5 minutes)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I saw Rush and the Steve Miller Band twice each, but I was probably more stoked to see Eric Johnson open both concerts than to see the headliner.

When Public Enemy was opening for U2, we showed up late.

I saw Living Colour open for the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. Unfortunately it wasn't the night where the lead singer fell off the stage and cracked his head open.

Nobody opened for Pink Floyd. Who would dare such a feat?

And from what little I've heard, Coldplay sounds to me like Bread jumped forward in time ~30 years.

Brad

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I went to the Coldplay concert in Sacto, CA. My GF told me to meet her there for which I was glad since this allowed me to arrive a little late so I could miss most of her performance.:D I caught the last 2-3 songs and couldn't figure out why she walked off stage during each song at the musical interludes. I told my GF it was to take another sip of vodka to help her thru the performance.:)

Nobody forces you to sit in your seat during the opening act so take the opportunity to go check out the booths and food stands. Bring your W-2's so you can do your taxes. Bring some cards to play Go Fish.;)

As for the Coldplay performance itsself, it was awesome. I'm a casual fan of them but the concert was really good. It was all visually entertaining too with all the big video screen behind them, plus lights, frickin lasers, and even ballon balls dropping from the ceiling.

We cheered every time they mentioned our city in their lyrics. I'm sure that was specially done just for us and no other city.;) They even said our city rocked a lot more than Shelbyville.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Oddest pairing I ever saw was Meatloaf (during his drunk days) opening for the Allman Brothers at MSG back in the late 80's or early 90's. I can't remember.

When I was in high school (1978-1982), practically every concert at MSG or Nassau Colliseum on Long Island had either Twister Sister or a band called The Good Rats opening. You think seeing Fiona Apple as an opening act is bad? Try seeing Twister Sister as an opening act, before they were even famous, at least 10 times.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I've seen tons of concerts and by far the worst opening acts were:

Rufus Wainright (sp?) for Tori Amos. He was so bad, all he had on stage was this tiny little amp and a really out of tune piano. Couldn't always make out what the heck he was singing.

Cowboy Junkies opened for Sting in 1998 and it was just awful screeching.....

The rest of the opening acts I have seen I have gone on to buy their albums.

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator

Just park in the Old Market(parking garage 11th and Jackson, if you can't find a parking spot on the street), and go to a resturant/bar and walk to the show via 10th street about an hour after the opening act starts. It takes a good half hour to forty-five minutes between bands to reconfigure. I'd guess that Fiona will last a good forty-five minutes.
That's what we did before the U2 show last month. Partied at Toad's and than walked. It's a quick walk to the Qwest and you come in on the "right end" (South end) if you know what I'm talking about.
As far as opening acts go, I loved Robert Randolph and the Family Band who opened for Eric Clapton last year at the Qwest. Love that pedal steel!.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Carl,
How can you be from long Island and not like The Good Rats?
Are you a communist?

PS- Peppie Marchello's son is still out there performing(but I don't know if he carries a bat).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks