What's new

Zeigfeld Theater to close (1 Viewer)

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
From today's New York Post by Lou Lumenick

http://nypost.com/2016/01/20/the-ziegfeld-was-doomed-from-the-beginning/

I first reported four years ago that the Ziegfeld Theatre could close because of million-dollar-a-year losses.
But I’m still saddened by my colleague Steve Cuozzo’s scoop that Manhattan’s only large single-screen movie house will finally be shuttered and turned into an event space called the Ziegfeld Ballroom.
I’ve covered the closings of many movie theaters for The Post over the past 15 years, including some once-iconic venues like the Criterion in Times Square, the Tower East on East 72nd Street and Manhattan’s first twins, the Baronet and the Coronet. But I always hoped that the Ziegfeld would survive, though the economic odds were stacked against it. It still has the best projection and sound of any movie theater in the city.
A loving (if much less elaborate) homage to the long-gone movie palaces that once lined Broadway and Seventh Avenue, the 1,131-seat Ziegfeld was swimming against the multiplex tide engulfing the movie exhibition industry from the day it opened in 1969.
For many years, it was one of the most famous theaters in the country, hosting glitzy movie premieres. It was revenue from these events that kept the Ziegfeld afloat as it became harder and harder to fill what became Manhattan’s largest theater after the 2,100-seat Astor Plaza (which opened in 1974) became a concert venue now known as the PlayStation Theatre in 2005.
Studios cut back dramatically on premieres after the 2008 stock market crash, and losses at the Ziegfeld — which sometimes closed for weeks at a time for lack of movies that could fill its thousand seats and killer competition from the Lincoln Square IMAX — reached around $1 million a year, I was told back in 2012.
In 2013, Cablevision — which leased the theater from the owners of the neighboring skyscraper built on the site of an older Ziegfeld on Seventh Avenue — turned over management to Bow Tie Cinemas, which bought all the venues in Cablevision’s now-defunct Clearview Cinemas chain.
It was hardly surprising when Cablevision CEO James Dolan said in April 2015 that the Ziegfeld would “probably’’ close as a movie venue. The company subsequently issued a statement that the space would remain open “for the foreseeable future,’’ but that was hardly reassuring.
At the time, I reached out to figures in the repertory film community about the possibility of operating the Ziegfeld as a nonprofit like Hollywood’s similarly sized Egyptian Theatre, which is run by the American Cinematheque. Their short answer: It would be an awesome venue, but the operating expenses would be prohibitive.
While I’m glad it’s not being torn down like so many of its predecessors — and will have a post-movie life, much like the glorious Kings Theatre in Brooklyn — I, like many New Yorkers, will deeply miss the Ziegfeld.
I have many memories of the place, from a press screening of “The Deep’’ with James Cameron in attendance to a matinee date to see a revival of “Vertigo’’ in 70mm with a woman who later became my wife. But the handwriting was on those red velvet curtains when I checked out the very sparsely attended opening day of “Super 8’’ at the Ziegfeld in 2011. That film’s director is back at the Ziegfeld with “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,’’ which is probably the last film to show there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Ziegfeld

large.jpg

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Wow, what a shame. I'm always stunned that none of the rich people in the film industry ever seem to try and make a play and buy, or at least solicit donations, to keep one of these classic theatres open.The Zeigfield is a wonderful theatre, and I'm sad to see it close.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dr Griffin said:
I read they will retain a screen for special events.
Pray God that something does survive.

Unbelievable and sad news.

Unthinkable that even a city like New York can't save their palace theaters, too.

This kinda stuff affects me like the loss of a loved one.

No joke; as only HTF members could fully understand.

I traveled 4 hours into NYC to see RAH's initial restoration of "Lawrence" at The Ziegfeld.

One quarter of a century later, I still remember it vividly.

And THAT's the impact that just one 70mm presentation fused with one Palace Theater can make;

despite this glorious age of HD and Home Theaters.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have mixed memories of the place.

I saw "Moulin Rouge" there opening weekend (it opened in NY and LA a few weeks before general release), and it had reserved seating, curtains in use, freshly made popcorn, and was one of the most memorable movie experiences I'll ever have.

I worked there briefly in 2009 or 2010, and it was a miserable experience. (This was when it was owned by Clearview/Cablevision.) The management didn't seem to care about anything. Although they retained the capability of showing 35mm and 70mm prints, they instead showed DCPs for newer films, and Blu-rays for older films. (One of the managers once tried telling me that the reason for this was that Blu-rays were higher quality than film.) The seats were no longer comfortable. With one bathroom, the lines were often out of control. And the concession stand no longer made popcorn fresh, but instead prepared it hours or days ahead of time, putting it in giant plastic bags and storing it in a closet - they would simply make a small fresh batch before some of the screenings, not to actually serve, but just to present the illusion that they were offering fresh popcorn. It wasn't pleasant working at a place where no one actually seemed to appreciate the venue or have any interest in providing a quality experience. They would step their game up for a premiere for a major movie, but when its doors were open to the public, not so much.

In today's world, you have to evolve, or risk being left behind. The Ziegfeld could have offered regular reserved seating before it became trendy, but they didn't. They could have installed more comfortable seats before recliners became trendy, but they didn't. They could have provided higher quality refreshments, but they didn't. They could have installed a state-of-the-art digital projection system, but they didn't. They could have promoted seeing film on film, something for which there does seem to be a demand for among certain moviegoers, but they didn't. Instead they ran it like a multiplex rather than a palace, and it was no longer a good deal for customers.

It pains me to say all of this, because that experience of "Moulin Rouge" was so utterly fantastic, but in its last years, it wasn't living up to that standard.

I think the last thing I saw there as a paying customer was the 3D reissue of "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" in January 2012, at the midnight opening. The 3D projection quality was dim and lacking. (I think the likely reason for that is that they were using RealD out of spec; the RealD spec has a maximum screen size allowed, because not enough light gets on a larger screen using their attachment on a single projector. The Ziegfeld screen was larger than the spec allowed.) The seats were uncomfortable for a 2 1/2 hour movie. The popcorn was stale. The excitement was gone. A few weeks later, I saw the same movie again at a nearby AMC theater, and it was a better experience across the board. The screen wasn't as large, but the seats were much more comfortable, the screen was properly lit, and the popcorn was fresh. The Ziegeld could have offered those simple things, but didn't. Meanwhile, movie making and exhibition has evolved since then, and a giant widescreen isn't state of the art anymore. An IMAX presentation, where certain films have aspect ratios that expand to almost unimaginable heights for select sequences, has become the new roadshow. As much as I treasure the memory of that first showing I saw there of "Moulin Rouge" in 2001, when "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" opened, my choice of where to see it was clear - the IMAX theater that would present the movie in its proper aspect ratios, with bright enough 3D, and comfortable seats.

I take no joy in saying any of this. I wish the theater would have been better run in its final years. There is probably an argument to be made for a modern day movie palace having a place in today's world, but unfortunately, the people running the Ziegfeld seemed to have no interest in making that argument.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like it truly was mismanaged- there's no excuse for showing a Blu-Ray or ANY consumer video format in a theater. That popcorn trick has been around a long time; making bags of it days in advance. Just another reason not to buy anything at the snack bar. Someone should have been called out for this before it came to closing the theater.

In Sacramento we had two large dome theaters, each with about 950 seats and built in the late 60s. They were split in half with walls down the middle in the 70s, but I always hoped they'd be restored someday. One was finally torn down in June and the other (with several more screens added onto it over the years) closed last week and will be torn down any day now. To replace it, they are building a multiplex that will be MUCH smaller- I did all I could locally to not get it approved and to convince the theater company to reconsider, but had no luck.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Josh Steinberg said:
I have mixed memories of the place.

I saw "Moulin Rouge" there opening weekend (it opened in NY and LA a few weeks before general release), and it had reserved seating, curtains in use, freshly made popcorn, and was one of the most memorable movie experiences I'll ever have.

I worked there briefly in 2009 or 2010, and it was a miserable experience. (This was when it was owned by Clearview/Cablevision.) The management didn't seem to care about anything. Although they retained the capability of showing 35mm and 70mm prints, they instead showed DCPs for newer films, and Blu-rays for older films. (One of the managers once tried telling me that the reason for this was that Blu-rays were higher quality than film.) The seats were no longer comfortable. With one bathroom, the lines were often out of control. And the concession stand no longer made popcorn fresh, but instead prepared it hours or days ahead of time, putting it in giant plastic bags and storing it in a closet - they would simply make a small fresh batch before some of the screenings, not to actually serve, but just to present the illusion that they were offering fresh popcorn. It wasn't pleasant working at a place where no one actually seemed to appreciate the venue or have any interest in providing a quality experience. They would step their game up for a premiere for a major movie, but when its doors were open to the public, not so much.

In today's world, you have to evolve, or risk being left behind. The Ziegfeld could have offered regular reserved seating before it became trendy, but they didn't. They could have installed more comfortable seats before recliners became trendy, but they didn't. They could have provided higher quality refreshments, but they didn't. They could have installed a state-of-the-art digital projection system, but they didn't. They could have promoted seeing film on film, something for which there does seem to be a demand for among certain moviegoers, but they didn't. Instead they ran it like a multiplex rather than a palace, and it was no longer a good deal for customers.

It pains me to say all of this, because that experience of "Moulin Rouge" was so utterly fantastic, but in its last years, it wasn't living up to that standard.

I think the last thing I saw there as a paying customer was the 3D reissue of "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" in January 2012, at the midnight opening. The 3D projection quality was dim and lacking. (I think the likely reason for that is that they were using RealD out of spec; the RealD spec has a maximum screen size allowed, because not enough light gets on a larger screen using their attachment on a single projector. The Ziegfeld screen was larger than the spec allowed.) The seats were uncomfortable for a 2 1/2 hour movie. The popcorn was stale. The excitement was gone. A few weeks later, I saw the same movie again at a nearby AMC theater, and it was a better experience across the board. The screen wasn't as large, but the seats were much more comfortable, the screen was properly lit, and the popcorn was fresh. The Ziegeld could have offered those simple things, but didn't. Meanwhile, movie making and exhibition has evolved since then, and a giant widescreen isn't state of the art anymore. An IMAX presentation, where certain films have aspect ratios that expand to almost unimaginable heights for select sequences, has become the new roadshow. As much as I treasure the memory of that first showing I saw there of "Moulin Rouge" in 2001, when "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" opened, my choice of where to see it was clear - the IMAX theater that would present the movie in its proper aspect ratios, with bright enough 3D, and comfortable seats.

I take no joy in saying any of this. I wish the theater would have been better run in its final years. There is probably an argument to be made for a modern day movie palace having a place in today's world, but unfortunately, the people running the Ziegfeld seemed to have no interest in making that argument.
That's my memory of the Ziegfeld at that time. But I went several times last year, figuring the end was near, and the projection had picked up and the concessions were fresh--indeed, the concession workers were quite a cheerful bunch, and happy to see a few customers. No wonder, as I was one of five people seeing The Martian the week after it opened. It was showing the big movies, but no one was turning up. I think a lot of factors killed the Ziegfeld, its Midtown-but-not-Times-Square location being one of them.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
The Ziegfeld died when it transition to digital projection. It never was bright enough. However it was the most comfortable house bar none And the sound system was incomparable. IMAX theaters I.e. Lincoln Center are extremely uncomfortable with no aisles and just blasting sound systems.

I will always cherish seeing Apocalypse Now there 3 times with the helicopters piercing through that massive hall.
Also opening day of The Empire Strikes Back with the theater sold out- every seat taken. Same for A Passage To India. And so many others. So sad.
Hollywood should really be ashamed. Broadway folk would never ever let this happen to one of their classic venues.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
We'll (maybe) always have (the) Paris, the city's last single screen venue.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Bob Cashill said:
We'll (maybe) always have (the) Paris, the city's last single screen venue.
Bob I love The Paris too but extremely doubt Star Wars episode VIII would ever show there or any other big budget spectacle for that matter. It's over here sadly.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I'd like some documentation that the Ziegfeld used a Blu-ray because frankly, I don't believe it.

3-D digital is dim everywhere.

I went back to the Ziegfeld today because tomorrow is the last day. I saw Star Wars VII in 2D. Presentation was excellent although the image certainly could have had deeper blacks. Even though it didn't have the largest screen (it was 52') and wasn't Atmos equipped, it was still usually the best place to see a movie.

Under Clearview, the theater never did anything special in terms of adding extra equipment, like they did for Close Encounters... and Apocalypse Now back in the day. And nothing since Bow-Tie has been running it for Clearview.

The theater could have been marketed better. They could have had film festivals. They still had 70mm in the booth - they could have had 70mm festivals.

Some years back, Disney wanted to buy the theater and make it the NYC equivalent of the El Capitan, but Dolan didn't want to sell it. It's too bad it wasn't sold to Disney.

The Ballroom is a joke. It will be empty most of the time. I think they want it to fail on purpose so they can tear it down and build another narrow 80-story apartment building for 9-figure millionaires.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
noel aguirre said:
Also opening day of The Empire Strikes Back with the theater sold out- every seat taken.
That must have been the 1997 Special Edition as it didn't open there in 1980.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
zoetmb said:
I'd like some documentation that the Ziegfeld used a Blu-ray because frankly, I don't believe it.

3-D digital is dim everywhere.

I can't provide documentation, all I can tell you is my experience working there. Whether or not you choose to believe me is out of my hands. I worked there from October through December of 2010. It was a temp job as an usher, but when the manager found out I had prior experience in college with film prints and screenings, she introduced me to the projectionist and gave me a tour of the booth. I left the job voluntarily and am not posting out of any sense of sour grapes or anything like that. The screenings of "Metropolis", which played for a week, were shown from the Blu-ray disc. The studio also provided a DCP, but the theater manager chose to use the Blu-ray because it was "easier" and "better" - her words to me. The majority of screenings there that I worked were either new films which were shown on DCP, or live Met Opera broadcasts, which were received via satellite. There were a few other classic movie showings (I can't remember the titles offhand) where they opted for a Blu-ray over a print. I'm not saying it was an everyday occurrence, but it did happen. My point was more that the manager of the theater felt that a Blu-ray was better than a print - that that was the attitude of the people running the place at that particular time.

At that time, a full time projectionist was not kept on staff. He was brought in for special events, premieres, and the first day of the run of a new movie. Most movies shown during my time there were exhibited on DCP. For premieres, they would show the DCP, but would have a 35mm print built up as a backup. In my brief time there, I never saw a 35mm print actually run. I was told by the projectionist that when "Inception" premiered there earlier that year (before I worked there), that Christopher Nolan's people insisted that the 35mm print be run instead of the DCP for the premiere, but that's the most recent film on film screening that the projectionist could remember. The actual run that was open to the paying public was shown on DCP.

As for digital 3D being dim everywhere, in my experience that's not the case. If you seen a digital IMAX 3D showing with dual projectors, the brightness is quite good. I've also had good brightness at other locations. Using the RealD attachment on a single projector does cut down on the light output. They compensate for this by mastering the film brighter for 3D, and by turning up the projector brightness, but that can only do so much. That's part of the reason that the RealD spec also limits the size of the screen on which their equipment is meant to be used - there's only so large a screen that their equipment can cover while still providing a properly bright image. Unfortunately, the Ziegfeld's screen was larger than the RealD spec allows, which resulted in dimmer 3D than normal.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Peter Apruzzese said:
That must have been the 1997 Special Edition as it didn't open there in 1980.
Sorry you're right it was the Astor Plaza which was even larger!
I must be remembering Close Encounters. Thanks!

Is there a list anywhere of what played there? I saw so many there - Hair, The Dark Crystal, Victor/Victoria, Edward Scissorhands, Hairspray, Attack of the Clones and on and on!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
noel aguirre said:
Sorry you're right it was the Astor Plaza which was even larger!
I must be remembering Close Encounters. Thanks!

Is there a list anywhere of what played there? I saw so many there - Hair, The Dark Crystal, Victor/Victoria, Edward Scissorhands, Hairspray, Attack of the Clones and on and on!

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/12

The most recent comments (as of now) have an almost complete list of everything that played there for the public

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks