What's new

opening acts at concerts (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

That's funny and I'm in complete agreement, although I think I like Coldplay a bit more than you. This is a double bill that I would like, but I would probably leave before Coldplay was done in order to beat the crowds out of the parking lot.

As for the choice of the opener, has anyone ever thought that maybe Coldplay themselves are huge fans of Fiona. A lot of bands (especially someone as big as Coldplay) have a lot of influence as to who tours with them.

Personally, I always try to get their for the opening act. I have found a lot of artists that I really enjoy, and several that I ended up liking more than the main attraction. Keep your mind and ears open and you mind find something new. Unfortunately, most people aren't interested in that.:frowning:

I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't go in with a bad attitude, or you'll never like anything.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Man, two of those Rats look like Sid Haig.

I'd have loved to see Public Enemy open for U2. When I saw them Big Audio Dynamite was the opener. I think they were some bastardized form of The Clash but it didn't really matter because the sound in Busch Stadium was so bad you couldn't make out any lyrics. Even U2 sounded bad.

I once got dragged to a Debbie Gibson concert by a high school girlfriend. I shudder to think who the opening act was, but I can't remember.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I could see that if Fiona Apple were a complete unknown who I had never heard, it would certainly be a good thing to go in with an open mind and hope for the best. But unless she carries a different voice around with her for live performances, I'm not very hopeful!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

No commrade, not me. :D

I know it's very un-Long Island of me...But in my defense, remember that the Good Rats stood in the way of every Styx, Kansas and Foreigner concert I ever went to as a teenager. I hated having to sit thru the Good Rats...Though they were better than Twisted Sister.

Michael, I was totally expecting the gatefold Good Rats album with the giant rat spanning the entire cover. :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:

a coldplay fan bagging on fiona apple. Maybe listening to someone that isn't a complete hack will open your mind.

then do us all a favor and show up 45 minutes after show time.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
In this case, I'll take the hack over the dying moose!

(Interesting that a different taste in music equals closed-mindedness...)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I went to see a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. It was so long ago that there were two unknown opening acts. First was Pearl Jam and then Smashing Pumpkins.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Out of the Moody Blues concerts I've been to, I don't think they've had an opening act. When Justin Hayward toured solo and I saw him, I don't even remember who the opening act was.

When I went to see Cypress Hill and the Offspring, MxPx was the opening act. They were ok, but I liked the 2 main acts better.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
and if you want oddcouples, try the dresden dolls or autolux opening for NIN, or the dittybops opening for tori amos.

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator
what did you think of the show dave? i thought it was pretty good. a little heavy on the bass though.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

You're a very secure man to admit this.

I saw The Pixies open for U2 at Maple Leaf Gardens in the early 1990s, and while I knew of The Pixies and had enjoyed what I had heard, their performance was dreadful. It was like rubbing carpet against both ears at the same time.

I also saw Live open for The Ramones -- what a mismatch. Actually, I've seen Live four times now without wanting to see them at all. There was this one summer (1994?) where they opened for pretty much every band I wanted to go see.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
My seats were worse than I was expecting, but aside from that I really enjoyed Coldplay! They put on a good show. The song they finished with was one of my favorites, so I walked out on a really good note :)

I was really hoping Fiona Apple would be one of those performers that sounds better live than recorded, but it was actually quite the opposite. It's really too bad because so much of her music is really very good but she had to go and ruin it with all that screeching and warbling. I told my SO that maybe she would raise enough money with this tour to hire a singer for the next time around ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
yet you enjoy coldplay. unfuckingbelieveable.

I'll drop an album of the same three piano notes over and over this summer, I'm sure you'll love it.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
How about this? I won't make you listen to any Coldplay if you don't make me listen to any Fiona Apple. Then we can both be happy!

Actually I'm probably off Coldplay for a while anyway. I'm back to being immersed in my set of the 15 Shostakovich symphonies conducted by Barshai. Not the best orchestral performance or production qualities, but the conducting is, for the most part, quite good!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I also saw Garbage open for SP in 1996. 2nd to last show with the original band - they did two DC shows right before all that nastiness occurred.

Great opening acts I've seen:

Garbage - with SP as mentioned above, with U2 in 2001, and with No Doubt in 2002

Sleater-Kinney - with Pearl Jam in 2003

Tina Turner - with Lionel Richie in 1984

Stereophonics - with Bowie in 2004

And probably plenty of others I can't think of right now. (Hey, I've been to 500+ concerts - hard to keep them all straight!)

Then-unknown acts who became big later:

AC/DC with Kiss in 1977

Bryan Adams with the Kinks in 1982

Tina as mentioned above

Sheryl Crowe with Crowded House in 1994

Jewel with Neil Young in 1996

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks