opening acts at concerts

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dave Gorman, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

You know, I was really excited about going to see Coldplay in concert next week. I really enjoy their music. But then I found out the opening act is Fiona Apple. Having never heard her, I added a "Fiona Apple" station in my Pandora. Good lord, I barely made it through half a song!! It sounded a little like Cher, only worse (and I didn't think it was possible to be worse than Cher).

Now I'm curious who could have decided this would be a good opening act for Coldplay, and what could have possibly led them to this conclusion? The only thing I can figure is that after listening to utter crap, Coldplay would sound that much better...

As excited as I was about seeing Coldplay, I'm really quite displeased now that I have to sit through Fiona Crapple to hear them -- how long do openers perform, anyway?

I don't go to many concerts -- 4 in my entire life (I'm 40), and 2 in the last 15 years. I hardly remember the first two. Of the recent concerts, Prince had a half-decent opening act (someone I had never heard of), and Elton John had no opener. I'm curious if opening acts are always such a hideous mismatch. How are the opening acts chosen?

OK, time to go to Walgreens and get some earplugs and barfbags so I'll be prepared to suffer through the opening act!

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Which song did you not make it through? I can't say she's for everyone, but those who like her, really like her and it's not that odd of a pairing. I think her latest release is great and her previous one brilliant. In fact I imagine there are probably some people who go to the concert who feel kind of "eh" about Coldplay and more "woo woo" about Apple. Of course if your mind is made up and your earplugs inserted I'm not going to waste my breath trying to change your mind. [​IMG]

3. Dave Gorman

At least they have the luxury of leaving after the opening act and not having to stick around for the part they aren't interested in [​IMG] Of course I may just go to the concert late, even though that means parking 4 miles away instead of a mere 1 mile!

4. Mike Slade

Mike Slade Second Unit

Usually around 45 minutes. The main acts usually come out an hour or so after the opener starts.

5. Dave Gorman

Cool, thanks for the info [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I think Chris Martin sings like how a cat would sing if a cat could sing. Different strokes for all.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Don't like Fiona Apple? Maybe you should try to listen to Imogene Heap? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I kind of like both of them actually. Fiona's new album isn't half bad but yeah, it's an acquired taste and people either love it or hate it. Kind of like Tori Amos. I'm kind of tepid on Coldplay, myself.

Jay

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Don't know how anyone can compare Fiona Apple's voice to Cher's (even just a little bit).

I love her sultry voice and she's put out 3 great albums so far. Very talented and underated musician.

9. andrew markworthy

Well, some folks would say that if you're going to see Coldplay, it's a bit late to start talking about musical discernment. [​IMG]

10. Dave Gorman

Some folks would say they like eating that crap McDonald's calls "food". [​IMG] It's all a matter of personal preferences I guess. I just enjoy Coldplay's sound. I wouldn't say there is anything exceptional about their musicianship, but I enjoy the end product. Even with Coldplay, I'm definitely out of my element. Probably 90% or more of my listening is classical. I'm currently going through a box set of the Shostakovich symphonies I received as a gift. About all I hear of current popular music is what my SO recommends, and the radio at the gym where I'm usually trying to block out the screeching/wailing hag radio station they usually play!

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Now don't get me wrong, I do like Coldplay's musical sound at times, but not their vocalist all that much.

12. Dave Gorman

That's how I feel about the couple of Fiona Apple songs I've heard. The songs & instrumentals weren't bad, it's just a shame she had to be singing.

13. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Anthrax opened for Judas Priest up here in Canada on their concert tour. Anthrax was loud, pretty clear, and the "singing" was okay.

But when Judas Priest played, Anthrax (in comparison)was quiet, very noisy and non-musical, and the "singing" was horrid.

Anthrax lasted for about 40 minutes and served their purpose - get the crowd into the venue and make the main act look good.

14. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Hmm, opening acts,
    well I once actually went to a show just for the opening act, it was the Crash Test Dummies (remember them?), they had 15 minutes of fame in Europe a couple of years back, and had the good taste to bring Sarah McLachlan along as opening act, and she was great, of course. They were so-so...
    When Sarah finally returned last year she brought Butterfly Boucher as opening act, many liked her, but I did not.
    Another funny/strange choice for opening act was Bowie when he played Sweden 1987 (Glass Spider Tour), this was when his audience still was mostly the Let's Dance crowd and not Bowie die-hards. Imagine their surprise when out on the stange comes a bouncing Mr Osterberg, aka Iggy Pop, and runs through a classic, full-on, no holds barred, totally loud, nude and rude Iggy show [​IMG]! Most people probably never knew what hit them, but us old Iggy/Bowie fans loved it, and hoped they would unite for an encore together after Bowie's show (which they never did [​IMG])
    As far as Fiona Apple goes, I've heard and seen her 'interpret' Across The Universe (it's on the Pleasantville DVD), and that did not leave me wanting more, but I don't find Aimee Mann that hot either (they sound more or less the same to me).
    Like others said, opening acts usually last up to about 45 minutes.

15. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Okay, that's it. I'm outta here! [​IMG]

16. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I'm not a fan of much music out there today, Coldplay included, but I love Fiona Apple. I'd probably go just to see her and then leave. Sad to hear she's reduced back to opening for other acts instead of headlining.

I was actually introduced to her music years ago when she opened for Counting Crows.

The last concert I went to, Depeche Mode, we didn't even see the opening act. Just arrived about an hour late so we wouldn't have to sit through it. Of the 4 shows of theirs I've been to, Primal Scream is the only decent one they've had. At an Orlando show they had some generically loud band called Stabbing Westward.

Morrissey once had some awful folk-pop group that about made my ears bleed, though I was already on edge from having gotten a speeding ticket on the way to the show.

OTOH, one of the first concerts I ever went to, Bruce Hornsby back in the 80's, had Crowded House as an opening act before anyone knew who they were. Pleasant surprises do happen occasionally.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

About 15 years ago, I was a Six Flags concert (just happened to be going on when a group of friends decided to make an outing of it at Six Flags), and they had Wilson Philips (then sort of unknown) open for Richard Marx. I enjoyed Wilson Philips more.

18. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Actually she had a short tour before her run with Coldplay. I was able to go to her first show of the tour and it was awesome. I imagine her being placed on the Coldplay bill is more about generating exposure since she was absent from the scene for about four years (half by choice; half not).

19. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] Wilson Philips and Richard Marx?!

The first concert I went to without my mom was at Six Flags - Mister Mister! (or was it Mr. Mr.?)

Also saw the aforementioned Crash Test Dummies at Six Flags.

I don't remember the concerts I went to at Six Flags having opening acts. I think the bands only did 45-60m sets. We usually bailed early to get back to the rides anyway.

20. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Most lame opening act I've seen was probably Girlschool fronting for Deep Purple (Mark II) at the Meadowlands in 1985.

Best opening act I've seen was probably The Clash opening for The Who (with Kenny Jones, boo) at Shea Stadium in 1982.