What's new

Onkyo universal **changer** (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I just now stumbled on this on Onkyo's site (I don't remember it being there about 3-4 months ago). It was 2004 this player was announced-did it just recently debut??

Onkyo DV-CP802

I think this is the first-and for now the only-universal changer available.

Because the introduction of new surround music titles (non-classical/jazz) has slowed to a teeny tiny dribble, it almost seems kind of a black joke to see this after all the people that were asking for one on this forum & others.

If it matters to anyone, The Flaming Lips' surround version of The Soft Bulletin is supposed to come out next Tuesday. And thank the audio gods it ISN'T one of those mutant DualDiscs! Like the surround version of Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, it will be a CD+dvd-audio package.

*And* their upcoming new album, At War With The Mystics, coming out in April, will also be available in 5.1 form.

From the Lips' news page:

The Flaming Lips' landmark 1999 album 'The Soft Bulletin' will be re-issued on DVD in the US on 31 January. As per the 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots 5.1' release, the album tracks will be supplied in advanced resolution 2.0 and 5.1 mixes, as well as Dolby 2.0 and 5.1 mixes. There will, of course, also be a whole host of extra goodies. The full content list is:

The Soft Bulletin - 5.1/2.0
1. Race For The Prize
2. A Spoonful Weighs A Ton
3. The Spark That Bled
4. Slow Motion
5. What Is The Light
6. The Observer
7. Waitin' For A Superman
8. Suddenly, Everything Has Changed
9. The Gash
10. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
11. Sleeping On The Roof
12. The Spiderbite Song
13. Buggin'

Album Outtakes
1. 1000ft Hands
2. The Captain
3. Satellite Of You

Radio Sessions
1. Up Above The Daily Hum
2. The Switch That Turns Off The Universe
3. We Can't Predict The Future
4. Remained Unrealizable

Video Extras
1. Race For The Prize
2. Waitin' For A Superman

Here it is at cduniverse (& already available to purchase; I guess they don't have to wait like brick-n-mortar stores do?).

Lastly, a Doors boxset with all their studio albums remixed into hi-res surround (reportedly on DualDisc :frowning: ) is scheduled to come out sometime this year. But after this announcement last summer, I haven't heard anything since then.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
If anyone is looking, the Yamaha C-950 is also a universal player- DVD-A and SACD, if that is what you mean... But yes, they are few and far between.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Like James mentioned, there are some other universal changers available. I have a Toshiba 6915 in my office...

Great news on the Soft Bulletin hi-rez release...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I own a Yamaha 6770 (same as the 750) universal changer and it's an excellent sounding player, if a bit on the bright side, for $249

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Forgot about the Yamaha (they sell *three* sacd-only changers and one sacd/dvd-audio changer). Don't blame them I guess since classical/jazz sacd sales are much better than dvd-audio sales.

Tim: is that the Toshiba Best Buy sold for a little while back in 2004 or early 2005?

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I'll contribute, as I purchase a new dvd player every 4 months. I've owned the following dvd-a/sacd players over the past two years (in no particular order):

Onkyo 802 - best audio by far. Clear, crisp audio playback. Non-DCDi video playback, with noticeable scanlines.

Pioneer 563 - so-so audio. Typical (good) playback for audio and video. Nothing to write home about, but a good entry-level contender.

Pioneer 578 - see 563 entry.

Integra 6.5 - same as the Onkyo, but a single-disc player. While I love the looks of Integra components (hell, I was a verbal advocate of the DTR-9.1 a/v receiver), save yourself some money and get the Onkyo model.

Denon 1920 - same as the Pioneer 563, but adds upscaling via HDMI. Has the Faroudja chipset, which can cause MB on some displays, but all-in-all a good entry-level player.

Denon 2910 - a step above the 1920, but can also add region-free dvd-v playback (for what it's worth). IMHO, slightly crisper SACD playback, but lacking in DVD-A qualities.

Toshiba 6915 - broke within one hour of purchase. Never got to try the multichannel audio.

Samsung 841 - don't waste your time on sub-$100 dvd players. Grr...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Nathan for those observations.
Really? Are you a gear reviewer or something?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

I certainly wouldn't want to blame Yamaha, because they actually sell two SACD/DVD-Audio changers, not one. They are the DVD-C750 and the DVD-C950. :wink:

For the OP, the Onkyo CP-802 has been out for quite a while. It generally gets good reviews for audio quality, but complaints about it's video performance. It doesn't have 2:3 pulldown.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Damn-guess before I read spec pages I'd better go easy on the booze and the pills! j/k :)

CarlP

Agent
I own a Onkyo 802 and I was surprised at its' impressive sound. It is used in a secondary system. (An Esoteric DV-50 is in the main.) By not expecting too much from the Onkyo, I was pleasantly surprised by its' sound.

OK, my gripe. When the unit is turned on, "Imaginative sight and sound" scrolls on the display. Why can I not disable this "feature"???? Yes, it is the little things in life that really tend to bother someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks