Hi,

I was considering in making this to be my new HT setup

Receiver = Onkyo TX-DS696

TV = Sony FLAT Trinitron Color TV KV-XA29

DVD = Philips DVD 951

Front speakers = Acoustic Research AR 11

Centre speaker = Acoustic Research AR 4C

Surround speakers = Acoustic Research AR 17

Any opinions on that setup.. Problems suggestions...

I might even put a sub.. Currently i have a SOny SA-W305

Now with the Onkyo TX-DS696 are there any other setups that will suit best with that... . . (The speakers change , etc..)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I personally don't care for AR speakers, if you could find yourself maybe some Definitive's, Klipsch's, B&W's or M&K's, it's probably sound much nicer. The Onkyo is probably a good receiver, I like the Onkyo line.

Angelo_c

Auditioning
Well could u give me like any suggestions for good mains. for the Onkyo 696...

HOpefully in the budget of $600-900US

and a recommendation for other Speaker setups witht the Onkyo 696

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
well, Polk Audio towers go well with Onkyo receivers, but I personally would go with a Definitive BP8B towers or if you can swing just a little more then a BP10B, or a set of Definnitive Powermonitors if you want builtin subs. Definitive ofers a wide variety of satelite speakers and subs at affordable prices.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I do love my Onkyo 696, especially since I paired them with a front line of Klipsch Reference speakers. I've owned many a speaker including AR's which are currently in my living room. I just got my new Klipsch bedroom mains and have never liked a pair of speakers right off the bat so much, albeit they aren't even broken in yet. I did listen to the speakers for hours on end, comparing them to other speakers at Good Guys and other local home theater spots, before purchasing. I really like to listen to music very loud sometimes and the added efficiency of the Klipsch allow me to do so effortlessly. Also, I just found out that they match up very nicely with my Hsu VTF-2 sub. I know there are other great speakers out there, but I hope you give the Klipsch Reference line a good listen before deciding. The Klipsch RB-5ii's cost me $590 shipped from an authorized dealer.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
from what i've auditioned recently i really liked:

paradigm reference, kings of smooth!(had to buy those...)

klipsch reference, absolutly amazing sound quality!

b&w 600s3's, good overall.

b&w cdm-nt's, will blow you away, need good amp, bright sound, and more to you're budget(sorry there...),

mission, m74's, sound bright(english again), but very acurate.

itai.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
When my 696 was in the living room, I had it paired with Paradigm Studio 40s and I loved the sound. I have since moved the 696 into the bedrom where they are hooked up to Polk RT25i speakers. I am not nearly enamored with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks