Need Advice On My Speaker Set-Up

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DannS, Jul 17, 2004.

1. DannS

DannS Auditioning

I am a young HT beginner building my first decent system.
    I have just purchased a pair of PSB Image 5T's that are being driven off an Onkyo TX-DS696 reciever with an Onkyo DX-C380 cd player and a Toshiba SD-5700 DVD Audio/Video player. I am currently using a Klipsch KSW-12 sub.
    I have had the PSB's for a few months and they are fully broken in. To me the midrange on the PSB's seems a little too forward, or warm. Any tips on mellowing out the midrange a little. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    BTW this is my first thread. [​IMG]

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

What's the room like? Hardwood floors, carpet...are the walls bare? Is it a four-walled room, or open on one end. Sometimes just moving some things around, adding sound absorbing objects, can tame brightness.

3. DannS

DannS Auditioning

Room is carpeted, about 12 X 16, 8' ceiling, open to kitchen and dining room, on 1 1/2 walls. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I assume your description of the speakers as "warm'' could mean "bright'' to someone else considering you believe the midrange is too forward. You want to tone it down a bit, right? A big cushy chair or a wall tapestry could help as sound absorbers. Have you calibrated with a Radio Shack SPL meter to make sure the speakers and the sub are balanced? How do you have the speakers setup in the receiver? Are they set to large or small?

5. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

Your descriptions are a little confusing to me. When I hear the word "forward" in describing a a speakers sound I think of the sound being pushed into the middle of the room. When I hear warm, I think of tamed highs and sound that seems to eminated from all around the speaker.

If it is truly forward, try tilting the speakers backward so that the tweeters are not pointing directly at you. This may help tame the "forwardness". If they are too warm remove sound absorbing materials from the room to help lively things up.