What's new

onkyo replacing the 797? (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know if Onkyo has plans to replace this model with an updated on in the next month or 2? Apparently the 797 is not being produced anymore. Thanks

MathiasA

Auditioning
^^UP^^

Yeah, does anyone know if the 797 will be replaced soon. I am about to buy the 797 but preferably the successor.

David Selby

Auditioning
i own the integra 7.2 it only came out in november of last year... nothing new to update it with! it has everything.

if you can afford to go separates I recommend it, although its a great receiver i now have a desire to upgrade it with a new amp and then replace the receiver with a preprocessor eventually ...

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
I have the 797 also and agree there is nothing to update it to. Unless of course they add more power, but this can be said for all receivers. However, the likely replacement model would be the TX-SR800. This is a guess based on the replacements for the 595 and 696. I love the 797, but the more I read threads here the more tempted I am to try a separate amp. Upgraditis after only three months in HT. Is this normal or do I need to see a doctor.
David

MathiasA

Auditioning
Currently I have a Denon AVR-3200 and I would like to replace that one with a Onkyo TX-DS797. I agree that there's nothing to upgrade from the 797 to the next generation receiver, but the problem with the dolby digital stream and the 797 worries me. I don't wanna spend a lot of money on a receiver that's having problem playing some titles.
// Mathias A

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
Onkyo is replaceing the 797 and 898.

The new specs for the onkyo SR800 are:

THX select
Dolby Digital EX and pro logoic 2
DTS-ES 96/24
THX surround EX

don't have specs on power yet, but basically it powers 7.1 speakers and add the new dts-es 96/24. It's supposed to be available in september.

The SR900 adds nettune.

Nettune is a new audio distribution system that uses CAT5 to distrubute audio. You can store all your music on your pc and steeam it too you reciever. You will also be able to upgrade it via the internet by this connection. The nettune devieces all run on a ethernet connection. You can also add nettune clients, that look like mini-systems in differnt zones in your house. They all will be connected and be able to play indepentedly of one another of any song you have on your pc.

The 800 and 900 will retaiol for 1000.00 and 1500.00 and the netune clients will be 400 or 500 onkyo has not decieded on a price or availablity of them yet.

All details are subject to change as they are still being refined.

James

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
No prob, i sell onkyo and just got this info from my rep 4 days ago, so it's still a little sketcky, especially with that netune thing, there is a possiblity that the nettune clients could be wireless kinda like a wireless network in your home for data sharing.

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
MathiasA,
I understand your concern about the 797. However, I bought mine June 1st and the first DVD I played was Pearl Harbor. I encountered no dropouts. I've also played Jurassic Park III with no dropouts. Onkyo must have corrected the problem in manufacturing or I just got lucky.
Whatever the case, I'm very happy with the 797. It also has;
THX Select
THX-EX (Which I believe is actually DD-EX)
DTS-ES
Powers 6.1
DPLII
Capable of 7.1 with external amp.
It has more than I can use right now which is the reason I bought it. Preparing for the future.
David

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
If you have a 797, check one thing right away...

... a light hum from the rear speakers...

...some have it, some don't

(for real)

CharlesKT

Auditioning
I saw one of your posts on hometheaterforums.com - you seem like the guy that can answer my question. I really want to purchse the TX-NR900 system but I have quesitons regarding:
A. Is it powerfull enough?
B. Does Net-tuen actully work?
Im more concerned with the Net-tune feature becasue this is what is really driving me to purchse this model but I have heard some very negative reviews. If you get a chance any info and pricing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks