Service on Receivers for Audio Dropouts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_T, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T Stunt Coordinator

I was interested to see how many people had their receivers serviced for the audio drop out problem that was occuring with certain dvds and over the DD 5.1 broadcasts. I own the Onkyo 797 and so far it has been a nightmare with the authorized service center. They had my receiver since the beginning of November and still haven't fixed it. I finally called up Onkyo to complain about the lack of "service" and they seemed to help further the process along. They agreed to replace the PC Board, which should take care of the problem. I should have the receiver within a week. Anyone else experiencing problems?

Chris

2. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

Exact same experience here. My unit has been in my service center since Nov. 4. Initially, they "fixed" the problem (and I clearly stated it was an upgrade chip for the dropout problem) in one week; but when I got the unit back, I immediately realized the "fix" was for the ticking problem, which I no longer had as the same service center had fixed that problem several months ago! This is after I had called Onkyo and earnestly asked them to talk directly to the service center to get the appropriate chip, and they told me they wouldn't, and the service center should call them directly instead. Thanks for nothing, Onkyo. I immediately brought the unit back to the service center.

I called the service center today to find the status. They claim to have had repeated contact with Onkyo over this, and finally today (after I first called) have ordered the part. Funny it took three weeks for them to get the correct part, despite the fact that I got the replacement chip reference number from Onkyo before I brought it back in and gave the reference number to them. They are now telling me 5- 7 business days to get the part, but haven't told me the time for repair.

I've had this unit 11 months, and it has been in the service center for a total of 2 months.

When my Dell laptop motherboard recently died, Dell immediately had it shipped from my door via airborne express to their repair center, and it arrived back at my door in perfect working order in 4 days. It took a total of 2 phone calls.

Onkyo, are you listening. Surely it must be cheaper in the long run to give proper service instead of time- and money-wasting runarounds. One axiom of business is that it takes 10 times the money/effort to attract new customers as it does to keep old customers.

3. Chris_T

JoeyB,
    I too have had the 797 for 11 months and I love the receiver. The fact that the receiver has a defective chip doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the lack of urgency to repair the problem by the authorized service center. I don't know about the service center you are dealing with but the one I'm involved with seems to be a total meatball. I guess the fact that mine is a warranty issue doesn't help either, but still to be waiting a month for something that should take 1/2 hour to fix is ridiculous.

By the way, Thanks for responding. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to be going through this. If there are any other people with similar experiences or good ones for that matter, I love to hear them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Chris

4. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

I used to love Onkyo products, but their recent history has dropped them from my short list when considering new components. First of all, it takes them nearly a year to admit to and implement a fix for this problem, and now people are getting stonewalled while their units sit in a repair facility.

This kind of customer service is inexcusable, although it is all too common in this day and age. I regretfully recommended an Onkyo Integra 5.2 as a sub-$600 receiver to a good friend last December, and it has been dropping audio ever since. Of course, when I go into the local "full service" dealer to discuss this widespread problem they say they've never heard of it, it must be a problem with the incoming signal, and the best solution would be just to use the analog inputs. Right.

They did offer to credit $350 back for the receiver to upgrade to the Integra 5.3. I just walked out, no way was my friend going to go for that and take a $200 loss. I guess he will have to deal with the incompetent Onkyo service centers directly. These kind of stories are not encouraging, but hopefully the situation will be resolved eventually.

Cary

5. Damon_K_S

Damon_K_S Auditioning

[​IMG] guys dont feel left out, onkyo did the same for me receiver took in on nov 16 got back dec 4 still dropouts talked to tech and he said the chip he replaced was for the ticking, sent it back yesterday, this time the manager at the local chain i bought my unit at agreed to replace my unit if it is not fixed this time! Thank God somebody cares cause ONKYO sure doesnt. I guess my replacement would be the sr800, so i dont really care if it still drops out when i get it back

6. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

I actually feel that the difficulties in getting proper service is not the biggest problem with this whole fiasco (including audio dropouts and ticking). Onkyo should have recalled these receivers to correct these problems.

The audio dropouts should be unacceptable to anyone who owns these receivers. If I had a DVD player that had a defective MPEG decoder, even if the problem occurred with one disc I owned, I would return it immediately. Telling me that I should switch to the two channel PCM audio output to "fix" the problem is like telling me to watch the movie on videotape instead of DVD.

BTW, I too otherwise love this receiver. This could/should have been a huge home run for Onkyo.

7. Chris_T

Well I got back my receiver on Friday and everything seems to be working properly. I played Pearl Harbor, JP III and Atlantis in DD and there were no audio dropouts. Conveniently, Swordfish was on HBO in DD 5.1 that night so I watched to first thirty minutes and I also experienced no audio dropouts. At this point in time, my problem seems to be resolved, but I agree with JoeyB in that Onkyo dropped the ball on this one. They should have stepped in much sooner with a solution or recall, instead of playing the blame game with Dolby Labs.

Chris

8. Mike Rackley

Mike Rackley Auditioning

And I thought it was just me... The authorized service center has had my 898 since Nov 8. I'm hopeful, but not necessarily optimistic, that I'll get it back next week.

Suspecting that this might turn into an odyssey, I decided to keep a record of my contacts with Onkyo customer support and the authorized service center so that I could keep track of who said and did what, when. What follows is a rather lengthy chronology of my saga so far.

1. 10/24: First call to Onkyo Customer Support to confirm that the DD audio dropout was now acknowledged as a warranty repair issue and to discuss logistics of returning my unit. I was told that parts should be available within a week, but to check back with Onkyo before shipping my unit to their national service center so as to "minimize my downtime" - the Onkyo guy's exact words.

2. 10/28-11/1: Several subsequent calls to national service center and Onkyo customer support culminating in "parts have arrived, ship the unit!"

3. 11/5: Unit shipped UPS ground. Called national service center to tell them it's on the way.

4. 11/8: Unit received at service center.

5. 11/14: Called service center to check the status. Person I talked to said it would be another several days before my unit was assigned to a technician because of a lengthy backlog of equipment in for repair. Since this didn't agree with the "minimize my downtime" prime directive I asked to speak to the service manager. The service manager couldn't believe that my unit had not been assigned to a technician because, according to him, they're supposed to put Onkyo units at the head of the repair queue when they're received. He said he would take care of this immediately.

6. 11/21: In spite of prior discussion, planning, and coordination to, altogether now, "minimize my downtime", once my unit was finally assigned to a technician, it was put on parts hold for several days. It finally came off parts hold on 11/19. Parts had been installed, and the result was that absolutely NO audio would now come out of the receiver. Unit was still on the bench and service center was waiting to hear back from Onkyo on how to proceed. I was also told that the technician (apparently there's only one?) was out the rest of the week so it would be the following week before anything else could be done.

7. 11/26: Called the service center and spoke to the service manager again. No progress had been made since my last call. They had concluded that they got a batch of bad parts and they were waiting on new, hopefully good ones. Once they got the parts, the unit should be repaired the same day and be on it's way back to me. Or so said the service manager.

8. 11/26: Since I had been dealing with the national service center and not Onkyo since 11/1, I decided to call my contact at Onkyo customer support and get his perspective on my situation. Left him a voice mail and got a voice mail back from him later that same day. He had just talked to the service center and Onkyo was sending them new parts, 2nd day delivery, to address my problem.

9. 12/3: Called the service center. They had my new parts, should complete installation that day. Assuming everything checked out OK, unit should be shipped back to me the following day.

10. 12/5: Called the service center. New parts fixed one problem, but another problem showed up. They're waiting to hear back from Onkyo.

11. 12/5: I called Onkyo customer support, spoke to my contact once again, and explained the latest turn of events. He said that he would call the service center again and discuss where to go from here. When I expressed frustration over how long it was taking, he told me in a rather abrupt tone that it sounded to him like I was pressing to have my defective unit replaced with a new unit. I told him I didn't care whether my unit was fixed or I was given a new unit, but that I really wanted, and felt like I deserved, a working 898. He suggested I take that issue up with customer service, whereupon he transferred me to the customer service person. Her voice mail indicated that she was out that day but would try to return calls the next day. I left her a voice mail explaining my situation and asked her to give me a call. So far I've not heard back from her.

12. 12/6: Got another voice mail from my Onkyo customer support contact. He put his head engineer in contact with the service center, and the head engineer authorized a complete circuit board replacement which "should finally wrap up this issue", to quote the gentleman from Onkyo.

13. 12/11: This will be my next, hopefully final, call to the service center. Why am I saying that? I'm in service center hell and may be in it for some time to come.

9. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

Mike,

So you're telling me I shouldn't expect my receiver back anytime soon. My unit has been in my authorized service center since Nov. 4, but they are only getting the replacement parts from Onkyo this week (so they tell me). From your post, it seems they will have several more steps to go before actually getting the unit to work.

Chris,

The fix works!!! Glad to hear this. Maybe this will be worth it after all.

10. Mike Rackley

Mike Rackley Auditioning

JoeyB,

*Hopefully* they're learning from their experiences and won't repeat the same mistakes too many times. Here's hoping that your repair goes smoother than mine.

11. Chris_T

It's disturbing how similar all our stories are regaridng this service issue. Each of us has endured or continue to endure a lengthy process in order to get our receiver fixed. In my opinion Onkyo is trying to take the easy way out by just replacing the IC chips. In speaking to the technician at the service center and a friend of mine, the proper way to resolve the problem is to replace the PC Board, which was done on my unit. The corrected chips are already on the board and it will be easier and quicker for the tech to fix the unit. But instead Onkyo takes the easy route of sending the chips hoping this will solve the problem and if not then they'll finally send a replacement board. It is this lack of urgency that really angered me the most. And when I first spoke to Onkyo about replacing the board, they initially balked at the idea. But after the head engineer spoke to the service tech this was the solution they came up (Sound familiar Mike). My advice to you guys is continue to stay on top of things. Make daily phone calls to both Onkyo and the service center to see what's going on. Don't let up, because if you do they will make you wait forever.

Has this experience soured me on Onkyo Products? Not totally, but in the future I will definitely take this into consideration before spending my money on them. Any questions, just ask.

Chris

12. Damon_K_S

Damon_K_S Auditioning

i thought my situation was bad, but if i was mike Id be ready to blowup,I now know the tech that is working on my unit knows the paart #'s , but I guess I better call onkyo and see If I can speed the parts sent any faster, Id like to have my 797 home for christmas!!!

13. Mike Rackley

Mike Rackley Auditioning

Perhaps the gods are beginning to smile on me. Or perhaps my venting did some good. But whatever the reason, my receiver has been repaired and is on its way back to me. Naturally it was shipped ground and will arrive sometime next week. Wouldn't expect them to try mending relations with a frustrated customer by shipping overnight or second day.

I just hope the dropout problem has actually been fixed.

14. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

Got my receiver back today.
    Played 10 minutes of JPIII in DDEX, no audio dropouts.
    Harry Potter in DD on HBO tonight, no audio dropouts.
    The upgrade chip seems to be working properly.
    It's definitely worth the effort and wait to get the receiver fixed. I'm glad Onkyo came up with a solution. It's too bad getting service is such a hassle.
    I can hardly wait until the next bug on this receiver pops up [​IMG] .

15. Damon_K_S

Damon_K_S Auditioning

[​IMG] Unit gone since DEC 9th, everytime I call same old story, unit still being looked at. Ono has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with They absolutely SUCK!!!! I will never buy another product from them again..

16. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Last month I had my Onkyo TX-DS898 repaired under warranty at Audio Clinic in Silver Spring, Maryland for the Dolby Digital dropout problem. The repair is described as Q702 DSP Board; IC part number 22241458R3898. The repair was completed 15 days after I delivered the receiver.

Before the repair I experienced Dolby Digital audio dropouts with the Jurassic Park III DVD and the WLIW HDTV production Visions of Italy: Southern Style broadcast on Maryland Public Television channel 42. Both programs play without dropouts now.

17. Damon_K_S

Damon_K_S Auditioning

I am glad that some of you were able to get your units repaired in a timely manner. As far as me the problem is now over also my defective 797 was replaced with a brand new sr800, The service center had not a clue about the whole situation and my unit has been in and out of there for 2 months. The local manager at my retail store stepped up for me and agreed that ONKYO should have done something about it long ago, he hiself ownes a 595 and I told him about the dropout situation. And I pray nothing goes wrong with the sr800 because ONKYO's customer service is the worst Ive ever dealt with. Good luck to the rest of you with your repairs, Im hooking my new unit up now and I will finally be able to watch SW Episode 2 in 7.1 after having the dvd for nearlly 2 months.

MY SETUP
    ONKYO SR800
    Paradigm EXPORT BIPOLAR FRONTS
    Paradigm ATOMS for sides and rears
    Paradigm passive sub between my rears
    Infinity BU1 powered sub up front
    Paradigm cc-150 center channel
    Hitatchi 61SBX59B
    Directv ultimate tv drd490re
    Dishnetwork 4700 Dolby Digital
    JVC SVHS VCR
    APEX 5131 3 discs dvd (SVCD VCD PLAYER)
    XBOX
    PS2
    and for special occasions NEC MT-1000 LCD PROJECTOR

18. Chris_T

Damon,

Who exactly replaced your receiver? Was it Onkyo or the retail store where you purchased it from? I'm just curious because in conversations with Onkyo Customer Service, this seemed to be an option they wanted to avoid at all costs.

Chris

19. Damon_K_S

Damon_K_S Auditioning

Chris, They probably did try to avoid this, but after taking my receiver in for the second time and waiting a month the only reply from the service center was my receiver was still being looked at. The local store manager (HH GREGG) was very receptive about the whole situation, I took in the FAQ of onkyousa.com to him, When I finally got over frustrated last saturday I went in to HH Gregg to talk to the manager about it, he made a phone call to the service center and told me that the tech was very inadequate regarding the situation and was given a nasty e-mail by the local store manager, plus the local manager had talked to the techs supervisor, I think my unit was at a HHGregg service center so they were able to commmunicate on the whole deal. The manager then came back to me and said, The repair has been ridiculous I will contact my ONKYO REP and get you a replacement. The only thing I can assume is maybe they tech really messed up my unit, I also dont think that too many topof the line ONKYO's are sold at this store, it also may have had something to do with it. So the local manager told me to come back in 2 days, I did and did not get a new receiver I was told that the local manager was waiting on an authorization # from ONKYO. Well that pi$$ed me off so I got a little nasty and asked to speak with the local manager, he basically said he could do nothing till he got the number, Well today at noon I got a call from him stating that he had got the authorization #, and gave me a choice between the sr800 and the Harmon 545 I beleive, needless to say I took the sr800 and hope like heck that nothing goes wrong with it, So far it works great, It was so sweet to pop in Pearl Harbor with no dropouts.[​IMG]