Onkyo 797 - FOUR MONTHS & IN FOR REPAIRS!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard Knox, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Howard Knox

Howard Knox Auditioning

Just bought an Onkyo 797 in November. Began hearing crackling & pops in two rear surround speakers about 2 weeks ago. At first, it was just in the right speaker (and then only in DPLII & some DSPs); then to the left speaker (and now in all modes). Yesterday took it up to Orlando (about 45 miles from here) for repair (nearest authorized service shop). And guess what - estimated time for repair was SEVEN WEEKS and then only if the parts were available. Thank God we had kept the Sony A/V receiver which it replaced so have a fairly decent reception. But to think, $910 down the drain in 5 months - where has quality control gone?

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

That is unacceptable, I would call Onkyo and complaint.

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Where did you buy it from? I would have just given you a new one by now!

4. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

This sounds like the classic “ticking” problem that many 797 owners, including me, have experienced!

You should just call Onkyo USA directly. They will fix or replace your unit in a week or less and pay for shipping in both directions.

5. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

Just got my 797 a month or so ago... all was fantastic until last week. Now my right surround had become inflicted with the crackling curse. Only affects componenets using digital inputs.

Somehow, even with a lot of research, I missed mention of this problem before buying this receiver.

As with the the originator of this thread, the nearest authorized servicer in my state (the only one for that matter) is ~2-3 hours away- and I don't look forward to having to pay shipping to send this back to Onkyo for "repair".

Unacceptable, particulary considering the many people with this problem on this one model.

Per the advice above I will call Onkyo and hopefully they will cover my shipping cost and provide a quick repair/replacement.

Seems to me that there is some part related to the digital inputs that "fries" or otherwise goes bad within a few weeks/months of use. An obvious design flaw or use of a bad part.

6. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

A month ago? Your retailer should just replace it....

don't put up with that nonsense!

7. James Miller

Surprisingly, I just checked the web site of my dealer (abtelectronics.com) and they offer a *60* day return policy! I am very surprised. Exchanging it with them may be a possibiliy after all. (I'd kind of assumed that they would have a max 30 day return policy)

That being said, since the 797 was not defective upon receipt they may simply tell me to have it serviced.

Also, there site says that they are out of stock, and don't expect more for 7-14 days. In fact, every Onkyo receiver they sell is backordered for the same time frame. Seems fewer and fewer places are selling Onkyo these days, those that are have low/no stock and don't even think about a reasonably close repair facility.

I also fear exchanging it with the dealer- even though they will presumably be getting a stock of newly manafactured machines, becasue since there is clearly an inherent defect in the 797 what is to say I won't simply get another lemon?

First thing I will do is contact Onkyo. Hopefully they will agree to an exchange w/ free shipping. (and within a week) Otherwise will contact the dealer. If I do have to return it to the dealer I will not be waiting 14 days before the new receiver even comes into stock, then another week for shipping. If Onkyo will not echange it directly then this will be my first and last Onkyo product.

8. Howard Knox

Howard Knox Auditioning

Let me know how you make out with Onkyo rep. I called them before I took the 797 to the service site - in fact, it was the place they told me to take it to. Seems as tho this is a definite problem with at least the 797 - haven't heard from anyone else with other Onkyo models. I'll bet they won't pay for shipping (with the weight of that thing, it will cost an arm & a leg plus insurance for $900)both ways, if at all. You can bet this is the last Onkyo product we buy - we are on retired pay & it doesn't allow for constant updates because of faulty equipment - this was to be our last A/V receiver purchase - I'm 77 and not getting any younger! I may call the dealer over in Tampa (hate that drive down I-4 - sure to be at least one accident) and see what their wait is.

9. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I had the same thing happen with my Onkyo after about 3 months but it was only in the center channel. Took it back to Circuit City and although it took 3-4 weeks for repair, it came back and seems to be fine. Do we know for sure what is happening with these units? Is it a one-time fix, or are we in for chronic problems?

10. James Miller

My initial conversation with Don in the service department resulted in no offer (even after asking) for complimentary shipping back to Onkyo. Also, he said that there would be at least a two week turnaround time.

I then spoke to Diane- I forget exactly which department she was in.

She was familiar with the problem and stated that it was due to a batch or batches of a particular Motorola chip or similar component that went bad after a period of use. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine which exact units had one of the bad chips. (based on serial number, etc) Apparently they now have a stock of known good chips, and they do repair- not replace- the units. Which is fine with me, assuming I won't lose my settings. (and I'll still have a full 21 months left on warranty in case this doesn't solve the problem, but I feel confident that it will)

She offered to have UPS pick up the receiver, at Onkyos expense, and 2-day it back to them. She also indicated that there should only be a 1-2 day turnaround time.

Since I am uncomfortable leaving the unit on my porch for UPS to pick up I asked for, and was granted, a prepaid 2 day shipping label. She had to send that via snail mail, but still, I expect to receive that by the end of the week, have the receiver at UPS Monday, and hopefully have the upgraded receiver back by the beginning of the next week.

All in all, even though it took some effort, I am very pleased with Onkyo's response to this problem.

For the moment at least, my confidence in Onkyo has been fully restored... Great product (other than this glitch) and great service.

--

Turns outI've had my receiver for just over 2 months, so returning it to the dealer was not a possibility.

The only authorized service establishment in my state- 90+ minutes away- (or shipped to him at my expense) was also not feasible since he stated it would be 3 weeks before he even got to the unit... he was also not familiar with this specific problem, so he may have needed to order the Motorola chip, adding more time to the equation.

Diane was fully famliar, with no prompting, that there was only one dealer in Colorado and that he did great work but was quite slow/backlogged. She mentioned that they are looking to add more authorized service centers.

11. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Well after owning the 797 for 5 months the dreaded "crackling" problem has reared it's ugly head. Watching a movie Sunday and all of the sudden the left rear channel started crackling every few seconds. I brought it in to Cambridge Soundworks where i got it and they told me I would be waiting at least 3 weeks or more till i got it back[​IMG] I really hope my Outlaw 950 ships soon. I already have a buyer lined up for this receiver and he expects it any day now. Should i have sent the unit to Onkyo instead? CSW has there own repair dept working on it. The sales rep says they haven't had one in for service since they started carrying them! I guess they haven't sold too many judging by all the problems i have been reading about online. No tunes till who knows when[​IMG] This sucks!

12. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar problem with the 797. The subwoofer preout was extremely loose, and stopped working after I replaced the cable with the normal care you would give a $900 piece of equipment. I had bought the extended warranty from the dealer (this was the only warranty I have ever bought). I took it in three times over 3 months only to have it come back with a "nothing wrong" sticker on it. Finally, after expressing my displeasure, the dealer offered to exchange it for a new one. I told them I wasn't too comfortable with the same model. They offered credit the full amount toward the 898 if I paid the difference. I took it seeing as how the difference was only $200. Yes, I did buy another extended warranty.

The biggest problem was that the local authorized Onkyo service center is some mom and pop outfit who hadn't seen any type of equipment made in the last 10 years. I spoke to them several times about the problem and they had no idea what I was talking about. I even copied the picture of the back panel out of the manual and highlighted it for them.

I never did have to deal with Onkyo direct, but I am satisfied with the dealer as they stood behind their extended warranty. I auditioned about three different receivers over the three month time period intending to sell the Onkyo once it was fixed. I tried the Sony da5es, the Denon 3802, and a Marantz 5200. Ultimately, it made me want the Onkyo back. I haven't had any problems with the 898 and difinately seems to be worth the extra money. Just about every manufacturer has had a problem with one of their products and it's sad to say that the 3 to 4 month wait for repairs seems to be the standard. I'm sure the repair center isn't in any huge hurry to try and collect payment from the manufacturer for a warranty repair.

13. Blair Gifford

Blair Gifford Stunt Coordinator

This happened to me as well! After owning the 797 for 5 weeks, the crackling started. It's been in for repairs for 4 weeks and they expct another 4-5 weeks. I'm so mad.

Bair

14. JoeyB

JoeyB Agent

Same problem here. Onkyo says 7 week wait to ship part. My wife called Onkyo and left a threatening message with a manager. Manager called me back - they've found the required part and are shipping it to my service center ASAP.

I'm not holding my breath.