Upgrade from Onkyo 797 to 898 worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John E F, Apr 12, 2002.

1. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I had the opportunity to upgrade my Onkyo 797 to the 898 due to an extended warranty issue that couldn't get resolved. I had to pay about $200 more for the 898 than what I paid for the 797 back in November. I won't be picking up the new unit until Saturday and it will be used for 5.1 only for the time (the 797 was being used for 5.1 only, no room for the rear surrounds yet[​IMG] ). My current speaker set up consists of five NHT SB-1's and a Paradigm PS1000 subwoofer. I am curious if anyone thinks I may have wasted the $200 on the upgrade to the 898 or should I have just taken a new replacement 797?

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

John,

Currently, Onkyo is going through their receiver line and replacing current models. So far, the 500s and 600s have hit the street. The manual for the 600/700 model has been posted on Onkyo's site. You might consider holding out a short while longer to see if your 797 could get replaced with a new 900 series model. I'm not sure how much flexibility your dealer has offered you. However, if the new ones arrived quick enough this might be a better option for you.

3. John E F

I have though about that, but I think Onkyo usually introduces the lower 3 models in the Spring and the others like the 797 and 898 in the Fall / Winter months. So I could be without a receiver for a few months. The dealer has been fairly patient, but mine is definately running out. The 797 has been into repair three times for the same thing and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong with it. So I really think it is in my best interest to take a new 797 or 898 now before this goes on any longer or they back out. I am curious about the future models, but I can't really imagine there would be anything to really add to the 797/898 models at this point that would be worth a six month wait. But I could definately be wrong on that.

4. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I didn't see anything in the 898 that was worth the extra money for what I was using it for........I guess it depends on what your needs are.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

The 898 has had fewer problems on this forum. I think you should jump. The 898 is the one I would have bought if I had the extra cash.

PS/ What was the nature of your problem?

6. Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I have the Onkyo 797 and am happy with it. With your current setup, you probably won't notice any improvement in sound with the 898, but for only $200 more it is a good deal. If it was me I would probably do it, but I always seem to be upgrade happy.
    P.S. After re-reading your post, it appears you have already agreed to it, and just want encouragement that you did the right thing. ***YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT***[​IMG] .
    Randy Schissler

7. John E F

Thanks for the support Randy. The upgrade bug never seems to go away does it? I picked up the 898 last night, a day early. I wouldn't say the difference is night and day, but the $200 seems to have been well spent. The problem with the 797 was that the sub pre-out became loose after switching sub cables and wouldn't pass the signal. There was no abuse involved, just the normal adding of components. I had purchased the extended warranty (this was the only item I have ever bought one for) so it would have been fixed at no charge.
    The problem was that after three trips to the local Onkyo tech (8 weeks worth), they couldn't even find the problem. I even made a copy of the diagram of the rear of the unit and highlighted for them. They just didn't comprehend the problem and probably had never even seen a modern A/V receiver from the looks of the place. Finally the dealer offered to replace it or credit the original purchase price toward the 898. I bought the extended warranty again of course[​IMG]