What's new

Onkyo 797 Pricing (1 Viewer)

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the best deal you folks have got for this reciever recently. I plan to buy from J@R and need to know a good haggling price before I make the call to order it. Thanks

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
You should be able to get it in the $750 range. I paid a little more at my local B&M store because i like to give my local dealer some business. They have given me great customer service over the years. I have seen posts where some guys have gotten it for around $730 shipped.

Take Care,
Dalton

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Why spend all that extra money on an 898 when essentially all you get is more wattage and a couple other insignificant upgrades. That jump to the 898 just wasn't worth it for me.

For the poster, I got mine from an authorized reseller via price match for $825 a couple of months ago.....Should be the high end of what you pay now as the other models are starting to come out.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the numbers guys. Earl, Do you have any other receivers that I should consider within 1000$ mark. I had a very bad experience with HK so they are a no go for me now. I looked into the Denon 3802 but it does not have enough hookups that I require and the remote just sucks and I do not own a Pronto. I concur with Stephen. I looked into the 898 and the 500$ price difference between the two is not enough to justify its extra cost. I am a Onkyo 696 owner that wants to go to a 6.1 setup and the SR700 does not have enough hookups that I require. I like the Onkyo remotes and little bit biased by product loyalty with Onkyo but I am open to suggestions on picking a new 6.1 receiver. Thanks

Sean

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
The jvs 10 has big amps(puts out its rated output/not many do) and for $9??. You can get the onkyo 898 for $1078. I feel there is a big difference between the 797 and 898 just like the 2802 and 3802. Now the 800 is coming out, you could wait! The HK 520 is good for $578( above $600 it is not a great value) I have the 3802($770-800) and it has enough inputs for me. I got rid of all my small stuff and got a mega changer.I could get the kenwood dvd progressive mega and get rid of one more piece of equipment. The Sony 5es($750) is a great unit. Be sure to buy this stuff from a dealer that has a 30 day defective exchange for free. If it works for 30 days straight you are good to go. JR/6TH AVE/ONECALL/OADES/buycomp.com?/ etc are real quality dealers that give good prices. Also there are several people who are at this forum who have real B&M dealerships and will ship to you at a good price. Not to say JR and 6th AVE aren't huge B&M's with many stores on the EAST coast. Just, you might like the smaller store attention from these guys. I bought my stuff from JR and 6TH AVE and may buy from OADES soon or ONECALL. My local B&M(Sears, Rexes), whom I buy from when they have it or can get it, does not carry high end stuff/ever. They meet internet prices and I usually buy my heavy stuff from them/big screen tv/appliances/speakers/etc. When you get to the $750 range + or - $100 there are more choices. That power rating site opened my eyes.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm
The higher end stuff is more likely to deliver its rated output. If you don't get the good stuff , you would be better off with quality separates and buy the pieces as you can afford them.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htmThe higher end stuff is more likely to deliver its rated output.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
PS/ I love my Denon remote and bought an extra one cheap from a dissatisfied owner. It is fully programmable! And my batteries are still good after 5 months.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Sean,
If you don't need the 7th channel of amplification then the 797 is a great choice. The 3802 is a good receiver but there just aren't enough digital inputs IMO. I also found the 797 to sound better in 2 ch. As far as HT, they are both pretty equal in that area. Sean, if you have liked Onkyo in the past, I doubt you will be dissapointed in the 797.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Just one more question to you 797 owners. Is the PL2 fully adjustable or is it preset like the 595 and 696. Thanks

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Phil, Just so you don't feel too bad.....We have a local retailer similar to CC called ABC Warehouse. I got the J&R price at that time......(January as I recall) and the local store matched the price. I wouldn't expect CC or BB to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks