Adding a 2-channel amp/receiver to Onkyo 797 for rear centers...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I picked up a 797 from OneCall last year and have been very happy with it so far. I'm now regretting not moving up to the 898 though because the 797 doesn't have two built-in amps for the rear center channels, just one. I have one rear center set up now, and it's cool, but I can now see why two might be necessary. Sounds coming from the rear seem a bit too localized; not as spacious as I would like.

I need a stereo amp/receiver to hook up to the rear preouts on the 797. I have an older Onkyo Pro Logic receiver (TX-SV434) that puts out 65W x 2 in stereo mode. Might that be enough for now? My listening preferences tend to be well below reference level (with 0dB being reference, I top out at about -20dB due to my living in an apartment). That may change since I'm moving in a couple months though.

I was looking at the Onkyo TX-8511 thinking that it might be an okay match for the 797. It doesn't have the same dynamic power ratings though; overall it's just not as capable as the 797, but I'd like to keep the price reasonable.

Any recommendations?

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I would use the old receiver for now and see how you like it firts. You already have it so it wont cost you anything to try it. That is what I would do.