What's new

Denon 3802 or Onkyo 797? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
From where I live, they are practically of the same price and nearly have the same features except for one thing, the Denon has 7.1 while the Onkyo has THX Select. Which one do you recommend I get?

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Ryan,

The 797 may have 7.1 but only six channels of amplification. You would need to purchase a seperate amp to get the 7.1.

Having said that I am the proud owner of the 797. I was pondering upgrading to the Denon 4802 or higher but was convinced on this forum to go the seperates amp route. I did and am so glad.

I also have a Denon AVR 65 in the bedroom. I blew this unit up about 8 months ago (my fault). It came with a two year manufacture warrenty and it was about 1 year old. I sent the unit to the place they reccommended and it was fixed and return at no cost when they said they would. Denon certainly stood behind their warranty.

To your question. I think both are great units. I guess it will come down to what you like. How great would it be if the store would let you audition both units at home?

Good luck...I think you'll be happy either way.

Phil

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I think it is a toss up between these two receivers. I went with the 3802 instead because I preferred its sound. Thx was not that important to me.

I recently added a Parasound 1205A leaving the 3802 to push only my surround back in my 7.1 setup.

What speakers do you own?

Happy auditioning.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I have had heard of the receivers that you are looking at. I have owned both the Denon 3802 and the Onkyo 898. A little different from the 797 but still I think that I have a feel for the 797. While I think that the remote and setup features were better on the 898 I prefered the sound of the 3802. I have Klipsch speaker and I though that the 898 sounded harsh and shallow with the 898. The 3802 sounded better to my ear. My advice would be listen to both with your speakers as that will have a lot to do with which one sounds better to you.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
While THX looks good on paper, to actually derive any apparent benefit from it, you also need THX certified speakers, in a listening environment that meets THX specs, and then be listening to or watching a THX certified media! It has alwyas seemed to me that THX is little more than a marketing ploy aimed at the cinematic environment, with no more than a percieved benefit to the HT audience.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
especially THX Select, which has downgraded specs to accomodate affordable equipment makers...
I mean there are JVC receivers that are THX Select certified! It just doesn't mean much anymore, if it ever has.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
What speakers are you connecting? This will be an important factor in your decision. I have a 3802 with Klipsch and a close friend has a 797 with Atlantic Technologies. Both sound awesome but may not sound as good if we switched receivers.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I have a 797, preferred its sound to the Denon. I am using JBL S Series speakers and it sounds fantastic.

Just another data point.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've heard all three receivers, although never owned any of them. In my opinion, yes, it would be fair to include the HK 520, especially in that I actually liked its sound the best. The ergonomics of the Onkyo is probably the best of the three though. This is, of course, just what I heard through my ears.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm deciding on the same type of situation... There are so many to consider, and they all have the features I'm looking for.

Right now I'm looking at these:

Sony STR-DA3ES
100w x 6

Onkyo TX-DS797
100w x 6

Harmon Kardon AVR-520
75w x 5

Denon 3802
110w x 7

Since they all have the 7.1 pre-amp out feature I'm looking for, they are all candidates. Currently I own a 2x100 watt rotel amp that I could add along with some JBL S26 surrounds to make a 7.1 setup. My mains are S38s and my sub is an adire aligment tempest.

I wonder if I'm in the right price range for a receiver, or should I be looking more at the Panasonic SA-HE100. The Panasonic is less than $300 and has all the functions I need with 6.1. I just worry how it actually sounds at reference levels.

Right now I'm using a 6.1 prepro from my PC and I can't bear to hear nothing but hiss whenever I watch movies. I just hope that these receivers will eliminate hiss during dvds and music.

I am just thinking that because my main speakers costed me only $250, that I shouldn't be spending more than $800 on a receiver, but rather $500 or less. My other option was to get the Outlaw 950 or Rotel 1066 and a 5 channel amplifier but that cost just seems too high to be used with my current JBL studio speakers.

Any help with decisions appreciated.

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I have full range Mission speakers, the 705A, with the 75C and 78ds for my surrounds.
As of today, I found out I can get a good price for the Denon 5800. The difference from the 3802 will just be around $200. I think this is a good enough deal right? ;)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Ryan,
For $200 I would jump all over the Denon 5800. I had the very same delima however the 5800 was $2,900. It had the power, processing, and features I wanted and was upgradable. I think you can upgrade that to DD II for about $500. At $2,900 for the 5800 I decided to purchase a 150 watt 5 channel amplifier and an additional amplifier for the back two channels with the help from the people on this forum. I did this as I have had the 797 for only 8 months and have been happy and the combined cost for the amps were $1,200 and that $2,900 for the 5800 was not a good deal at all. I could have gotten a better deal off the net but I guess I am "old school" and do not feel comforatable with such a large internet purchase due to shipping and warranty's.
Again in my opinion I would jump all over the 5800 for $200 additional dollars. It has 170 WPC so I do not think power will be a problem for you.
Good luck and good find!!!:)
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks