What's new

On The Lot - Season One Thread (1 Viewer)

mike caronia

Second Unit
I thought Zach had 3 clunkers in a row.
He'll be fine. I'm sure Lucas called him around 8:12p last night.

The folks that didn't continue to watch after his departure missed the most cohesive films these folks have made to date. I really liked Adam and Will's shorts. With Will's Yes Men being my favorite. Army Men was really inventive, but I thought the lighting was very low throughout the film.

Jason's film was funny. Not his best, but really good.

Sam is definitely going home. Too derivative of too many others. Obviously Saw and 9 to 5, but I thought right away the guy was supposed to be Christian Bale in American Psycho...looked a lot like him and made some comments like him.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I still thought it was much better than Sam's film, but then again I felt Sam should've been axed weeks ago. His films have never been that good IMO.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I was absolutely floored that Zach went home. Even with his last two efforts he was the best out of the bunch. Adam's Barbie and Ken doll was right out of Twilight Zone episode and the rest we pretty lame.

At this point I don't really care who wins.

Parker

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Oh, agreed! From the horrible host right down to the overall
production values, this show will not be renewed.

Really, I look at filmmaking as a very serious craft. I think
they should have taken a more "masterpiece theater" tone to
the show and had it hosted by someone more respectable to
the film community.

This show will not be renewed.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, too many of these "shorts" seem to be complete, 100% ripoffs of things I've seen before. I didn't think Zach's was great, but considering some of the other efforts struck me as virtual plagiarism...

I pretty much gave up on this show a while back, I catch it the next morning on the DVR. The only real reason to watch is to see if she pops out of her dress.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Why is anyone surprised that Zach left? He easily has had three bad weeks in a row. In Hollywood, three strikes and you are out. No matter if his early films were good, he couldn't sustain the talent.

Like on AMERICAN IDOL. Sanjaya was the most loved of the early auditioners. Rolling Stone magazine had his photo saying he was the one to beat. Yet, look what happened to him.

Not that Zach is Sanjaya bad (that would have been the Wack Alley Cab guy) but his last films made him a target. I for one wasn't sad to see him go. I thought he should have gone based on the film he made.

To me, Jason has been the one who has been consistently interesting, no matter what films he made.

And yes, the show won't be back. It effectively was cancelled the second week, when they cut the run of the show in half. But with Spielberg and Burnett behind it, they didn't want to embarass them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Or at least been more like Project Greenlight (not that it tore up the ratings either, but at least it was a great show).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Project Greenlight was an infinitely more interesting show and concept, because it wasn't really a contest on screen as much as it was a challenge to find talent and make them produce.

Oddly, I've seen all three Project Greenlight films, and for Shia Lebouf fans, catch him in "The Battle of Shaker Heights" which isn't bad, but kind of TV-Movie esque.

But "Feast" is a pretty funny lark that reminds me a ton of Troma type films, and the TV show was great to watch because it was actually pretty involving about how things go in making a movie.. from casting to financing to test screenings.

This show was missing anything that really drove me as an audience member to "think" a lot about the process or care for the final output.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Project Greenlight was fun to watch. Unfortunately, OTL decided to focus on the selection process of who would get the prize (the budget/resources) to do a film, and not the filmmaking process.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

If Spielberg and/or Burnett have ever tuned in to watch a second of this show I think they would be plenty embarassed having their names attatched to it.

As for Project Greenlight, I always thought that was a great show and I really wish they would bring it back to erase OTL from my brain. :)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also another huge PROJECT GREENLIGHT fan. It really was one of my favorite shows. Especially season 2.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
A waste of an hour, and a pitiful end to a "contest". Zero tolerance. Even if it ever comes back, I'm not falling for it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The clips "finale" has to go down in reality TV history as one of the lamest things ever for a penultimate episode. I skipped Will and Jason's short films, but did re-watch Adam's short films.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I've said it all season and I'll say it one more time...........THANK GOODNESS FOR MY DVR!!! I got through the hour in about 8-10 minutes and even that felt like too much time to waste on it. I'm with you, Keith, if this show has another season(which it won't) there's no way I'll be watching. :thumbsdown:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Wow, what a crock. For a second there I was beginning to think that this show was finally starting to figure itself out. Guess not.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I almost did it earlier, but I think some strong language actually is deserved, so I will now say:

That was the biggest "fuck you" to anyone who bothered to follow this show. That was worse than just yanking the thing off the air with no resolution whatsoever.

I was actually excited by the idea that we might get down to, say, two finalists and they would have to go one-on-one and produce a film of about 10-15 minutes to win. Of course, this was only my guess as to how it might pan out, but it seemed logical.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I just watched off the DVR. I have NEVER been openly colorful with the language in the forums, but..

Outside of someone getting on stage and taking a crap, I can't think of anything more painful to watch then this. I mean, my wife loves those childbirth shows and I'd watch any of those in a heartbeat with a meal & coke in my hand over the pain this thing was.

The only comparison I have is like listening to someone rake their fingernails on a chalkboard incessently. How did this thing ever get a budget and a slot? Project Greenlight gave one guy $1M to do a movie that could be distributed, and had NO stars to pay, no elaborate sets to rent and had a final product to (try) and bring some money back in.

This thing had.. oh lord. What, really? In the end, I learned nothing about any of the candidates at all, because the clip show made the whole thing come off as completely bogus. You learned nothing about the movie making business, there wasn't an interesting storyline and you couldn't root for or against anyone.

I can't think of any reality show that was more painful to watch. I mean, garbage like most contest shows at least have drama.. this had zero drama, and they really extinguished any you could have at the end.

Completely limp noodle. That's all this show was :frowning:

Give me greenlight back, somebody. Cheaper and infinitely more entertaining. Go back and watch those on DVD.. especially season 2, which is a RIOT. (Though Season 3 had the best final product)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The finale has been taped and the OTL message board has had posts of the winner, even though the forum is closed to new messages for "technical maintenance" (ie "spoiler prevention").

For those who even care anymore, the winner is Adam Stein

Big whup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks