?? on AMP replacement for Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by GusMart, Apr 13, 2005.

1. GusMart

GusMart Auditioning

I have a JBL PSW D115 sub and like others the amp has blown and is out of warranty, I called JBL and they offered to sell me one of their new 10 or 12 inch NORTHRIDGE Series Subs at a discount which was just below what I could buy one from a discount place but I figured I would take them up on it, then they told me I had to cut the woofer and send in the paper part for them to offer me the discounted price.

This got me thinking, I have a 15 inch sub with a nice enclosure would I be better off getting a good quality amp even if it is the same as the replacement price for the JBL offer but this way I would have a 15" sub, which I love, the sound was a little muffled down low but what bass, walls rattled.

So my question(s) for the gurus here are:
    Is this worth doing? or just buy the discounted sub?
    Which amp is recommended? Stock amp was 250W.
    Where can I purchase amps?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Northridge series – according to JBL’s website, that’s their E150 and E250 subs. I don’t know how capable a performer your D115 is, but I’d take a pass on those two. You can see an in-room response chart for the 150 at the subwoofer review link in my signature – it brick-walls at a mere 30 Hz. From what I’ve heard others say, the 250 isn’t much better.

Bottom line, I think I’d look into getting a new amp before I’d take either of those subs. Parts Express sells plate amps – check their site. Be sure and find out what the impedance of your current driver is before you get one, though.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. GusMart

GusMart Auditioning

Thanks for response, I found the amp was really 350W so more reason not to take their deal, the impedance is reading around 7 so I assume 8 ohm woofer.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You know something? I have a PSB 12" subwoofer which started blowing fuses. I traced the problem to a small power supply board on the plate amp. I called PSB to find out the cost of this little PS and they told me I had to purchase the entire plate amp which was almost the cost of the entire subwoofer.

I decided to replace 4 power transistors on the PS and the problem was rectified.

Total cost was about $10.

5. GusMart

GusMart Auditioning

Yeah this blew the fuse and I changed it thinking I was set but when it didn't work I took a closer look and saw this nice black burnt section on the board with a couple of pieces melted and this wire which looked like aluminum foil almost disintegrated. I am a noob at this so excuse any ignorance, ask me about cars and I'll do better.