What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

OMG Just received this from Gershwin Estate 1959 Porgy and Bess! They want it restored! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You go, Robert! Nothing holding you back, and more power to you.
Hey to all do the same I did go to Gershwin page tell them you would love to see the film restored more input maybe movement

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hey to all do the same I did go to Gershwin page tell them you would love to see the film restored more input maybe movement
I believe everyone agrees that they'd like to see the film restored.

Is the Gershwin estate prepared to forego income in order to see the film restored, or will some organization step to the fore, fund the project and allow the estate to collect the income.

That's a bad deal.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I believe everyone agrees that they'd like to see the film restored.

Is the Gershwin estate prepared to forego income in order to see the film restored, or will some organization step to the fore, fund the project and allow the estate to collect the income.

That's a bad deal.
Boy wish I was a millionaire!

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Allow me to introduce you to punctuation marks.

This is a period. “.”

It is used to allow readers to understand that they can take a short break, as a sentence is ending.

This is a comma. “,”

Generally used to tell reads to take a short breath between phrases.

This is an exclamation point. “!”

It allows readers to understand that you’re excited about something.

This is a question mark. “?”

It allows readers to understand that you’re confused.

Use them.

Do not drag them in the mud.

You may, one day, need them.
I'm glad you said it and I didn't because I thought it was just me. How is anyone following that train of thought of run-on sentences devoid of any grammatical structure. It's just word salad.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm glad you said it and I didn't because I thought it was just me. How is anyone following that train of thought of run-on sentences devoid of any grammatical structure. It's just word salad.
most here know my problems thank you I try thats the best I can do

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
With all the money in publishing and collecting royalties, you would think the Gershwin estate could throw in a few dollars.
Calling Michael Feinstein......

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
With all the money in publishing and collecting royalties, you would think the Gershwin estate could throw in a few dollars.
Calling Michael Feinstein......
Amazing he worked for the estate wonder why he never pushed this along == I would think best bet would be to get industry help to do it = I do not think the Gershwin estate is that well off as one would think NO where near the value of Irving Berlin. Our dear friend RAH was so on the money I have heard nothing back from either Goldwyn company or Gershwin - at least Gershwin did reply the first time

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I am sorry Robert. I wasn't aware, that was very inconsiderate of me.
Okay my friend - I have really tried to change my life I stopped any negative comments ABOUT people etc I stay off twitter hell thank GOD for you all here I keep it open all day 10am-8pm it you all here are FAMILY and do more for me than you realize! Love to RMajidi did not forget u! So many great people sending prayers and love! The did not forget u minute one firm heard about this they rushed me dvds and PRAYERS and our own Capt McMars surprises me with a package still I am trying to save my Moms h111ouse from a fraud land buyer etc WHAT A MESS she needs a good lawyer but NO one wants to help her being a civil matter they cannot appoint one Back to Porgy and Bess I just emailed Michael Feinstein

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Okay my friend - I have really tried to change my life I stopped any negative comments ABOUT people etc I stay off twitter hell thank GOD for you all here I keep it open all day 10am-8pm it you all here are FAMILY and do more for me than you realize! Love to RMajidi did not forget u! So many great people sending prayers and love! The did not forget u minute one firm heard about this they rushed me dvds and PRAYERS and our own Capt McMars surprises me with a package still I am trying to save my Moms h111ouse from a fraud land buyer etc WHAT A MESS she needs a good lawyer but NO one wants to help her being a civil matter they cannot appoint one Back to Porgy and Bess I just emailed Michael Feinstein
Got the right contact for Mr Feinstein I will post reply

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Great artists don't always make great art but the effort is always worth experiencing. But I love all sorts of things that a lot of people dislike... BARRY LYNDON, in the theatre, easily over a dozen times... go figure
One of my favorite films of all time. Saw "Barry Lyndon" at the Cinerama Dome the weekend it opened. an Usher handed out programs to the line outside before the showing. An odd film to show at that particular theater but I was very happy there. The film's reputation gets better as time goes by.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
possibly best to not push it.
OKAY thats the last contact I will send out === he knows the condition of the estate better than anyone else lets see if anyone responds -- I will cool it now a lot of people were contacted. Still trying to find British Censor reports from the Bishops Wife that will keep me busy! Interestingly they found them from 1947 but of course they do not have The Bishops Wife they check in 46 and sadly 48s were ditched so now trying to see if any place here has Goldwyns files UCLA has RKO collection waiting to hear back!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
OKAY thats the last contact I will send out === he knows the condition of the estate better than anyone else lets see if anyone responds -- I will cool it now a lot of people were contacted. Still trying to find British Censor reports from the Bishops Wife that will keep me busy! Interestingly they found them from 1947 but of course they do not have The Bishops Wife they check in 46 and sadly 48s were ditched so now trying to see if any place here has Goldwyns files UCLA has RKO collection waiting to hear back!
Belafonte and Horne recorded a 1959 album yet Belafonte did not want a part in the film?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Belafonte and Horne recorded a 1959 album yet Belafonte did not want a part in the film?

Obviously not, as films and recordings are two separate mediums. No one can deny the Gershwin brother's music is glorious and apparently Mr. Belafonte thought highly enough of the music to record an album with Ms. Horne.

There were two other albums of Porgy and Bess songs released around the same time with Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong and Sammy Davis, Jr./Carmen McRae. Both superb!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Obviously not, as films and recordings are two separate mediums. No one can deny the Gershwin brother's music is glorious and apparently Mr. Belafonte thought highly enough of the music to record an album with Ms. Horne.

There were two other albums of Porgy and Bess songs released around the same time with Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong and Sammy Davis, Jr./Carmen McRae. Both superb!
Was there official soundtrack? Just found this so I guess there was a soundtrack • Due to contractual reasons, Sammy Davis Jr’s voice couldn’t be used on the record, so Cab Calloway is on the film soundtrack.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Was there official soundtrack? Just found this so I guess there was a soundtrack • Due to contractual reasons, Sammy Davis Jr’s voice couldn’t be used on the record, so Cab Calloway is on the film soundtrack.
Enjoying the Previn work they let you hear previews of the songs mean this would be great on dvd blu ray 4k in theaters too stunning work

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Growing up, my parents and relatives all had the soundtrack LP in their collections. I heard it quite a bit. It was on Columbia. For a brief time, CBS Spain released it on CD. A bit hard to find now, but IMO the sonics are very good. Great overture (created for the film).

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Interesting criticisms of Preminger's use of 70mm in Porgy. I have heard similar criticisms regarding Exodus. I have not seen either one in 70mm.
I saw both EXODUS and PORGY AND BESS in 70mm on a 62 ft wide screen when they were originally released.The screen was the largest in the Southern Hemisphere for 70mm projection. EXODUS ran 12 months in 70mm in Sydney where I also saw it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For years and even today, when I want to listen to Porgy and Bess, I grab the soundtrack. Yes, I had the Columbia LP as my go-to disc, but I finally got a German CD of the stereo soundtrack, and it's wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks