What's new

OMG Just received this from Gershwin Estate 1959 Porgy and Bess! They want it restored! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You need not point out to me where negatives are vaulted.

And no. The Academy does NOT have the early Goldwyn negatives.

I know because I read It in his dossier.
The Goldwyn Company was founded in 1979 by Samuel Goldwyn, Jr. It combined his motion picture production corporation with a library of classic American films owned by the original Samuel Goldwyn Productions Company founded by Goldwyn Jr.'s father. In 2012, the Goldwyn Company decided to unify the holdings of some 55 titles from various labs and storage facilities by relocating them to the Academy Film Archive. The over 350 materials received by the Archive from the Samuel Goldwyn Jr. Family Trust are a combination of 16mm and 35mm, and consists predominantly of duplicate negatives (both complete and incomplete) of feature films and trailers. Titles in the collection were produced between 1929 and 1955 by Samuel Goldwyn (Sr.) and include “The Best Years of our Lives” (1946), “Up in Arms” (1944), and “Wuthering Heights” (1939).

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Being very close to dying that is the least of my problems in fact once u see no me posts might be because my Mom had to bury me
Many of the regular readers have over time become aware of your health issues, Robert. As many of us are in what in polite society is deemed senior status, we empathize and send you a heartfelt wish for further recovery. And your enthusiasm about film is an inspiration and shining example. Doug

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Many of the regular readers have over time become aware of your health issues, Robert. As many of us are in what in polite society is deemed senior status, we empathize and wish you a heartfelt wish for further recovery. And your enthusiasm about film is an inspiration and shining example. Doug
Love you my friend - I love Mr C and Mr E they know my problems as does Capt McMars and my friends at VCI sent me dvds so many here know my issues - just to hear from Mr Harris makes me feel honored too My friend John Dirk gifted me with a upgrade here I am a invalid cannot work Mr Harris comments hurt but he did not remember how ill I am most nights I pray that the lord take me in my sleep Shout pout to each of LOVE u forgot my dear friend down under!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Many of the regular readers have over time become aware of your health issues, Robert. As many of us are in what in polite society is deemed senior status, we empathize and send you a heartfelt wish for further recovery. And your enthusiasm about film is an inspiration and shining example. Doug
As to I, having also achieved “senior” status.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Love you my friend - I love Mr C and Mr E they know my problems as does Capt McMars and my friends at VCI sent me dvds so many here know my issues - just to hear from Mr Harris makes me feel honored too My friend John Dirk gifted me with a upgrade here I am a invalid cannot work Mr Harris comments hurt but he did not remember how ill I am most nights I pray that the lord take me in my sleep Shout pout to each of LOVE u forgot my dear friend down under!
Robert,

My apologies for not being aware. Your passion for fillum will keep you going.

Just so that you fully understand - the black & white nitrate original negatives, fine grains and lavenders were all junked decades ago. The only silent film preserved on safety was Barbara Worth.

The Technicolor negatives are rotting.

The majority of the Goldwyn reference prints, inclusive of dye transfer, were stolen. As were the majority of safety fine grains held in the UK, after they made their way back to the Colonies.

It isn’t a pretty picture.

The reality is that Porgy & Bess is the least of their problems.

A good start would be repatriating what was purloined.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Robert,

Just so that you fully understand - the black & white nitrate original negatives, fine grains and lavenders were all junked decades ago. The only silent film preserved on safety was Barbara Worth.

The majority of the Goldwyn reference prints, inclusive of dye transfer, were stolen. As were the majority of safety fine grains held in the UK, after they made their way back to the Colonies.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH SIR PRAYERS PLEASE I NEED THEM BAD! I tried looking for a copyright notice cannot even see the film P and Bess being renewed

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
All of that is very sad and disappointing to hear. I’m sure you’re right, the Goldwyn organization as it exists today have other priorities.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The renewal which should have been 1986 or 1987? 251 records no renewal
Type of Work:​
Motion Picture
Registration Number / Date:​
RE0000338733 / 1987-05-21
Renewal registration for: LP0000014519 / 1959-06-24
Title:​
Porgy and Bess.
Copyright Claimant:​
Samuel Goldwyn Productions (PWH)
Names:​
Samuel Goldwyn Productions

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Type of Work:​
Motion Picture
Registration Number / Date:​
RE0000338733 / 1987-05-21
Renewal registration for: LP0000014519 / 1959-06-24
Title:​
Porgy and Bess.
Copyright Claimant:​
Samuel Goldwyn Productions (PWH)
Names:​
Samuel Goldwyn Productions
Thank you was looking for PAU so Goldwyn retains copyright I assume they again renewed it Columbia has no interest they just released it correct?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Robert,

A good start would be repatriating what was purloined.
My lord -- and they are a shell

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You Sir are a treasure I will post if anyone gets back to me wish someone would step up Lucas Foundation Film Foundation Packard Foundation etc The Academy etc
One needs permission from the copyright holders to raise funds.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
One needs permission from the copyright holders to raise funds.
What a mess Now I understand why u said muddy water --- to have two parties interested in the film yet not willing to pay what a sad state

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks