What's new

Older Tv shows in HD ? Streaming , Possible bluray ? (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Baywatch . I just seen a preview on YouTube , Beautiful ..Stunning.. words can't describe it . Watching it on those crappy lousy cable channels all these years , This is simply amazing .

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I am really into classic tv westerns,All seasons of Laramie and Tales of Wells of Wells Fargo are in HD on Amazon prime,The complete series of The Virginian is on Starz westerns.Clark

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Slowly, we've seen older shows being released on blu-ray, usually after they've been remastered for one of the streaming services. For example, Mission: Impossible was released on blu-ray at the end of 2020, after it'd been in HD for streaming. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century was released on blu-ray around the same time, after being done in HD for a foreign blu-ray release. Babylon 5 was remastered in HD last year for HBO MAX; we're still waiting for the blu-ray.

The Incredible Hulk was released on blu-ray this past fall, after being remastered for foreign release a few years ago. In that vein, the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman were remastered in HD for foreign release, but have yet to make their way to release in the US on blu-ray.

Older shows that were shot on film look absolutely amazing on **DVD**, to say nothing of blu-ray. Look at Star Trek -- I remember being amazed at how good the DVDs looked, and now, with blu-ray, it's even more pronounced. Same goes for the Adam West Batman. I think shows like Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, The Man From UNCLE and The Fugitive would look great on blu-ray and already look amazing on DVD.

Completely unscientific, but here's some shows (from 1950-2010) off the top of my head that have been released on blu-ray:
The Twilight Zone
The Avengers (only partly released on blu-ray)
The Flintstones
The Jetsons
The Outer Limits
Star Trek
Batman
The Time Tunnel
Star Trek: The Animated Series
Space: 1999
Wonder Woman
Roots
Battlestar Galactica
The Incredible Hulk
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Police Squad!
Galactica: 1980
The Martian Chronicles
Star Trek: The Next Generation
The Simpsons (only partially released on blu-ray)
The X-Files
Wild Palms
Friends
That 70s Show
Superman: The Animated Series
From The Earth To The Moon
Batman Beyond
Farscape
Futurama (only partially released on blu-ray)
The Sopranos
Justice League/Unlimited
The Wire
Star Trek: Enterprise
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
Lost
30 Rock
Mad Men
The Office
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Breaking Bad
Caprica (foreign only)
Parks & Recreation

Pretty much everything that came out after 2010 has been released on blu-ray (except for streaming shows, many of which have not been released at all).

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I bought the Andy Griffith -complete series on blu ray also Mission Impossible.And the original Hawaii 5-0 on amazon prime in hd -most seasons.Clark

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Anyone know what happened to the masters of TJ Hooker , It looked amazing on Universal HD way back , Since the channel went under , no where to see them and they had very high ratings .

High definition​

Beginning on October 1, 2010, the series was rebroadcast on Universal HD to overwhelming success, quickly becoming one of the most successful series on the channel although the channel did not yet subscribe to Nielsen ratings. Due to the high ratings, the original film elements were re-mastered for high definition, and the program was cropped to a 1.78 aspect ratio to fill the screens of modern televisions.

Sad they did the work and no where to watch . The SF DVD set is mediocre at best .

WWoD

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Willcott
Do studios make the decision to crop the shows? Cropping TV episodes always (ALWAYS) destroys the work of restorationists who work to preserve color and clarity. It’s like someone restores art and the museum puts the wrong frame on it to exhibit. Very disrespectful to the original art and the restorationists. It seems to only happen with some of the HD streams these past 5 years. Thankfully, not most of them. I sure hope it doesn’t become normalized. They ruined the last few seasons of Fantasy Island. Beautiful photography gone to pot. I can’t watch them.

Maybe the full frame is available elsewhere? Would be helpful if this collective list includes those that are misframed (and perhaps where one can locate the original aspect ratio).

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Do studios make the decision to crop the shows? Cropping TV episodes always (ALWAYS) destroys the work of restorationists who work to preserve color and clarity. It’s like someone restores art and the museum puts the wrong frame on it to exhibit. Very disrespectful to the original art and the restorationists. It seems to only happen with some of the HD streams these past 5 years. Thankfully, not most of them. I sure hope it doesn’t become normalized. They ruined the last few seasons of Fantasy Island. Beautiful photography gone to pot. I can’t watch them.

Maybe the full frame is available elsewhere? Would be helpful if this collective list includes those that are misframed (and perhaps where one can locate the original aspect ratio).
Would be nice , and even better if they would release the shows on bluray . As for what Universal HD did , They went to the original negatives and only slightly cropped . TJ Hooker I felt like I was watching a brand new show , Simply Amazing . There uniforms were like crystal clear and you could see the lint on them . NBC/Universal /Comcast/peacock must have this somewhere. Maybe they can at least get it to steaming on there Xumo platform or in Peacock . In the UK there in HD on Prime .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks