What's new

Older Tv shows in HD ? Streaming , Possible bluray ? (1 Viewer)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I'm trying to find shows that are in HD that you can not buy a blu-ray yet .
Hulu has The Odd Couple but not every episode due to some music rights issues .
I noticed Gilligan's Island in HD on Itunes .
Anyone like to add to the list would be awesome

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are a growing number of vintage shows that are being remastered in HD for distribution on cable syndication and streaming platforms, but where there are no plans to release the new HD versions on Blu-ray or any physical media format. Over the past several years, studios across the board have cut back on the number of TV Shows on Blu-ray releases, mostly due to lack of sales in the format, unfortunately.

Off the top of my head, I know that M*A*S*H has been remastered in HD and widescreen and is available to view as part of a Hulu subscription, or for sale digitally on iTunes.

While it's a bit newer (and yet, somehow 20 years old), Buffy The Vampire Slayer has been remastered in HD and widescreen and is available on streaming subscription services like Netflix.

I Love Lucy has been remastered in HD, but due to poor sales of the first two seasons on Blu-ray, the remaining seasons will not be released on physical media. But the complete series has been remastered in HD, and these can be viewed on a variety of platforms online, both from subscription services and from digital retailers.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
WB has been big into this.

Wonder Woman, CHiPs, The Waltons, Dukes of Hazzard, ER, all Widescreen HD now for streaming.

Universal's catalog has had some HD facelifts... Rockford Files, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap, Emergency, Incredible Hulk, Northern Exposure, all the Law and Orders... some of them even made it to Blu, like the first three I mentioned. Thankfully, they're still in their OAR unlike many of the rest of the remasters.

Sony has done TJ Hooker, Charlie's Angels, and Fantasy Island. Those aired on the Universal Network nearly a decade ago. Don't know where they are now, if they're even airing or streaming.

The X-Files, MASH, and The Simpsons have gotten the widescreen/HD treatment by Fox, to the good of X-Files, detriment of The Simpsons, and MASH is a push. They also did Buffy, but that remaster is a total piece of crap. Horrible framing, , crew members in the shots, effects still in SD... might as well just buy the DVDs.

CBS has done Star Trek TOS and TNG, with Charmed and MacGyver in various states of remastering. Honestly, most of their classic catalog that was filmed was done with HD in mind. Only problem is, they're not letting it out of the vault or even putting it in full on their own dumb streaming service.

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
WB has been big into this.

Wonder Woman, CHiPs, The Waltons, Dukes of Hazzard, ER, all Widescreen HD now for streaming.

Universal's catalog has had some HD facelifts... Rockford Files, Miami Vice, Quantum Leap, Emergency, Incredible Hulk, Northern Exposure, all the Law and Orders... some of them even made it to Blu, like the first three I mentioned. Thankfully, they're still in their OAR unlike many of the rest of the remasters.

Sony has done TJ Hooker, Charlie's Angels, and Fantasy Island. Those aired on the Universal Network nearly a decade ago. Don't know where they are now, if they're even airing or streaming.

The X-Files, MASH, and The Simpsons have gotten the widescreen/HD treatment by Fox, to the good of X-Files, detriment of The Simpsons, and MASH is a push. They also did Buffy, but that remaster is a total piece of crap. Horrible framing, , crew members in the shots, effects still in SD... might as well just buy the DVDs.

CBS has done Star Trek TOS and TNG, with Charmed and MacGyver in various states of remastering. Honestly, most of their classic catalog that was filmed was done with HD in mind. Only problem is, they're not letting it out of the vault or even putting it in full on their own dumb streaming service.

That's great info , I was not aware of some of those . Universal HD was amazing for TJ Hooker, Charlie's Angels, and Fantasy Island. The dvds don't compare at all . I wonder what they will do with those series ... "Shout factory" tried TJ Hooker and does not come close to the Universal HD colors (it's like the show was recorded yesterday) .
Maybe another thing to add , Any tv shows that are streaming that look much better than the dvds that are out there would be good to know . So far from what I have run into , If it does not say HD then usually the the proper dvd (not millcreek) has been better then any streaming service . Then there are shows like MOM where they only release dvds (I do not know what WB is thinking there) Why would I buy them if they look better on tv ? , Hulu would be they best way to watch that show without any commercials or annoying pop ups all over the screen . Of course it is a pay service but worth it if you get a nice monthly deal . I still prefer to own the physical bluray over anything if there is one .

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Charmed (original) has been HD widescreen on TNT for years. Season 1 has been released on blu ray widescreen.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Let's see, some that haven't been mentioned yet: Gidget is on Amazon Prime in HD, three seasons of The Danny Thomas Show is on Amazon Prime, Cheers and The Andy Griffith Show are available both for sale and on subscription services in HD, and Magnum P.I. is available for sale on iTunes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think that was yet another example of a show that was shot on 35mm film, and then edited on standard definition tape. Since the show doesn't involve special effects, it's not nearly as daunting a process to rescan that film in HD to create new HD versions. Something like "Star Trek: The Next Generation" was a massive pain because of the amount of effects work that had to be recreated; The Commish should be a much simpler task (if my guesses for how the show was made are correct, that is).

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Looks perfectly fine to me and it's free. Horrible would be a VHS copy taped off of tv. This isn't an SD show I need to relive in "HD" to enjoy. What I saw on NBC online looked perfectly enjoyable and serves it's purpose for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks