What's new

Ok, so I have a Sony BDP-301 Blu-ray player....HELP! (1 Viewer)

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango
I have two major questions....one about HDMI receivers and the other about audio codecs (True HD/DTS HD/PCM)

The long version: The Sony BDP-301 was purchased as a Christmas gift for my family. Since I'm the one who is most knowledgeable about HT (read as: barely above-average knowledge) I'm responsible for hooking it up/making sure everything is compatible/ect. I was looking into a Blu-ray player for awhile so I know a little bit about what I wanted. But I held off cause my receiver isn't HDMI compatible (nor was I sure about the format war).

Anyway, my reciever is currently a Onkyo TX-SR603. Great receiver, bought it last year but no HDMI hookups. What a bonehead move right? Well, not really. I got it with full knowledge that it would be somewhat-obsolete, so I bought the Circuit City protection plan and I can simply take it back and get this years model....the TX-SR605 (or pay the difference for a better model!)

So question #1: What receiver should I get?
I'm pretty brand loyal to Onkyo. And I want something that can support HDMI, and and can encode Dolby True HD/DTS-DH (more below). What else should I look for that I don't even know about? I'm sure there is quite a bit. But as I said, I'm leaning toward the Onkyo TX-SR605

-------------------------------------------------
The Sony BDP-301 is great. I have an older Samsung 42" DLP 1080i that I've had since 2003, and the picture it outputs is better than almost anything I've seen on that TV (The only disks I have are The Terminator & T2: Judgment Day...as if you need anything else;) ) I gotta say I was pretty happy with the player considering it was sort of a blind-buy, considering the fact that no one in the house really knows too much about HT.

However, the lack of Dolby True HD/DTS-HD is a severe disappointment. It isn't a big deal right now cause my receiver can't decode it....but when I upgrade it will be a problem. Why? Not totally sure. I really can't say I know a whole lot. Just that the HD audio is uncompressed, which means better bitrate, right? More bitrate=better sound, right? And who doesn't want better sound? Well, I do know that the BDP-301 does decode LPCM and output it via HDMI....but I just don't know how that works. I know my current reciever can handle PCM, but it decodes it as Pro-logic or NEO:6....which just isn't as good, right? For example, when I played T2, it would decode the PCM as Pro-logic, so I switched to the DTS track. I sounds great, but it's still compressed audio, and I'm dying to hear what uncompressed audio is like.

So my next questions are:
#2: What exactly is (L?)PCM and how should a receiver decode it?

#3: Should I take my The Sony BDP-301 back and get a player than can output TrueHD? (cause I'm dedicated to hearing uncompressed audio)

#4: Is question #3 even relevant if I get a new receiver that can decode TrueHD? I'm not sure if this is right, but if I have a receiver than can decode the raw PCM audio track, then I can set the receiver to decode it as Dolby True HD/DTS-HD, right? And that is just as good as having a player than can decode it, right? Not sure how that works....cause my current receiver couldn't decode the PCM track into 5.1 (it played as ProLogic)....so I had to manually switch the output on the BDP-301 player to DTS. Or is this just because my old receiver really can't decode PCM? I'm sensing that this is the difference between LPCM and PCM....which is still don't know the difference between (see question #2, lol ).

#5: I heard that there will be a firmware update for the Sony BDP-301 that will allow it to encode True HD
That sounds wonderful....I just wish I knew what Firmware was, and how to use it. :laugh:

Thanks for the help, and sorry for the long winded nature of my post!

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango
Ok, I thought it was possible to output the LPCM audio via HDMI, and then have the receiver decode it into TrueHD. But I guess that can only be done by bitstream output via HDMI.....which it can't do. I'm getting bitstream/PCM/and LPCM confused....mostly cause I don't know what they are.

BTW - Any word on a firmware update?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Linear PCM and PCM are the same-uncompressed digital audio, in however many channels you want. Takes a lot of space on disk, and you can only squeeze two channels down a SPDIF connection.

If you want to transmit more than two channels digitally, you'll need a HDMi connection. However, you can also have the player convert it into analogue, and connect the player to the receiver using the multichannel analogue outputs.

DTS-HDMA and Dolby TrueHD are both means of losslessly compressing the Linear PCM on disc, so more space can be devoted to video or extras. Some players will decompress the TrueHD/DTS-HDMA into LPCM, some will not. Some players will pass on the TrueHD/DTS-HDMA onto a receiver (over HDMI 1.3), where it is then decoded, processed and amplified, others will not.

Unfortunately, your player appears not to decode TrueHD. It also seems that it will not pass the stream onto a receiver capable of decoding it. (pending a firmware update which might never come)

So getting a 605 will not solve your issues.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Yes. To hear TrueHD, you have to either have a player that decodes TrueHD, + a receiver that accepts the decoded multi-ch PCM over HDMI (or over analog multi-ch connections if player has them), OR a receiver that decodes TrueHD + a player that will output the TrueHD over the HDMI (aka "can bitstream output TrueHD"), which needs HDMI 1.3 compatibility. The S300/301 does neither, unfortunately.

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango

OK, thanks for the explanation.

The only thing I'm still confused about is the fact that it says in the manual: "In combination with a compatible AV amplifier, the player can output up to 8ch Linear PCM surround sound." They specify "compatible" to mean HDMI.

I know I'm not getting this, but why can't a HDMI receiver (like TX-SR605) decode that 8ch PCM into True HD, or DTS-HD? I'm guessing there is a difference between 8-channel Linear PCM and uncompressed LPCM?

I'm also guessing the 8 channel PCM that is being passed can only be decoded into Dolby Digital Plus?

EDIT: There is no way to get True HD if the player doesn't recognize the format? Even if it can send uncompressed LPCM, it still won't work even if the receiver can decode trueHD? Or am I still getting this stuff totally wrong?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You are somewhat confused. PCM is uncompressed, unencoded digital sound, it's basically the end product. It is what you get after decoding any of the encoded formats. Once you have it in the form of PCM you are basically done, except for digital->analog conversion, amplify, send to speakers.

The player can output LPCM for discs that have LPCM tracks, and also for the formats it knows how to decode (e.g. DD+). But it doesn't know how to decode TrueHD, so it can't spit out the LPCM result of decoding it. It also doesn't know how to spit out the undecoded TrueHD as a bitstream for the receiver to decode.

Also backwards. DD+ tracks can be decoded into 8 ch PCM and sent to the receiver. Or if the disc has raw PCM multich track that can also be sent to receiver. Just with a TrueHD track, the player can't really do anything with it. (If you select it for use, it will basically play the std DD track that's "hidden" on the BD disc for players that can't decode TrueHD, this works differently than on HD-DVD).

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango
Thank you!

So the order would be:

Disk must have an encoded Dolby True HD track -> Player reads the track/decodes it -> player outputs the True HD LPCM track through HDMI -> Reciever amplifies track and it is send to the speakers.

Question: (I know it doesn't apply for my current player) But If the player cannot decode TrueHD, then it what way can it output the audio to the receiver so the reciever can decode....or is that impossible?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
A player like the Panasonic BD-30 outputs the undecoded TrueHD over HDMI for a receiver like the Onkyo x05 series to decode. Decoding can take place either in the player or in the receiver. But to do it in the receiver it takes a player that can output the undecoded bitstream over the HDMI, only a couple (Panasonic BD-30, Samsung 1400) do it at this time.

Blu-ray also complicates things with the different profiles, e.g. profile 1.1 to support new picture-in-picture commentary features, now only working on the BD-30 + PS3; this and the audio situation is why I'm currently just sticking with my HD-DVD $99 Wal-mart special & waiting for cheaper, more finalized BD players (or dual-format) to come out before I go neutral.

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango
I don't blame you. I will go neutral myself, so I'd have no prob exchanging it for a HD-DVD player. But it seems like Blu-ray has more films out on the market....but that's just my impression. I could be wrong.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

The new formats have various levels of metadata associated with them. For instance, the DTS-HD MA codec has a Speaker Layout feature

On the other hand, DTS-HD decoding does tax the processors, so there's a limit to how much filtering can be applied in real time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I think they use it for big brother purposes. ;) J/K -- I hope. :P

In theory, internet access allows them to implement additional interesting special features like the community screening feature/event discussed over here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...bs-way-up.html

And at minimum, I guess they can also provide additional traditional special features via the internet directly to your player and display rather than make you use a separate computer like was sometimes done w/ SD DVD.

_Man_

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

PS3 decodes TrueHD, which is a Dolby codec. It does not decode DTS-HD-MA, the DTS corresponding lossless compression codec, nor will it pass it as undecoded bitstream.

millionairewes

Auditioning
Real Name
Wesley Pinedo

Stephen,
Great replies and to the point. Make sure they're also aware that on the PS3 TrueHD is decoded via HDMI cable only.

You can also hook up a capable HD disc player to that analog input and receive these 3 uncompressed audio formats: "PCM 5.1", "DolbyTrueHD" and "DTS-HD Master Audio". While the first two are readily available in most HD disc players for INTERNAL decoding, no HD disc player supports "DTS-HD Master Audio" for output over an analog connection, yet.

But if money is no object, and your planning to upgrade your receiver, as of right now there are only 2 Blu-ray Disc players and only 1 HD-DVD player which will send "Dolby TrueHD" and "DTS-HD Master Audio" to a capable receiver over an HDMI cable. The Panasonic, at $500, can do this right out of the box. The Samsung, at only $400, can do this after a firmware upgrade. And the Toshiba HD-DVD player, for $500, can also do this after a firmware upgrade. Right now, that's all there is. If I had to choose, Id stick with Blu-ray over HD-DVD and pick the Panasonic over the Samsung. It's worth the extra $100. Of course, a Toshiba HD-DVD player and PS3 would have you pretty much covered in this format war. and remember as far as I know, Rush Hour 3 is the only movie at Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and hopefully more coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks