What's new

Ohio kids found in cages (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
They have 11 kids in all, holy cow! I only have 2, but I could see the use for some cages and maybe electric prods with 11 :D

Seriously, what a shame. 8 of the kids were adopted or foster children. Looks like these people were putting up the kids for the state money they received. Too bad, I hope their next home is more stable.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
It sounds bad but I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I mean for all we know, the children might be one of the most ferocious human alive, most difficult children around, and perhaps even close to needing jackets at night. Maybe they hit the parents at night, bite them, pee on them. Don't know. It seems if these foster parents took them on, they must of at least care enough to give them a home.

Certainly not defending their action but I can see possibilities that they had no choice. Like when I see parents put lease on their kids when they're out and these were normal kids, I reacted. There's a story to how it all came about.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning

You've got to be f@*king kidding...there is NO scenario where putting children in cages would ever be appropriate :thumbsdown: :angry:

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

I hope your being sarcastic and Im just reading it wrong. There are cases nation wide about adults taking in foster kids because they get paid by the government or state to do so.
So I wouldnt say that care or feelings went into it in all cases.
People can get a good sum of money by taking in several foster kids.

Both of those parents should be taken out back and shot. I will pay for the bullets.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
And what about insane children that could harm society? Are they not restricted in any sense? There are cases of children that could kill adults. In such a scenerio they couldn't be care for at home of course.

Like I said, I'm not defending their actions but let's hear what the reason is. At face value, it looks bad but many times, the initial reporting doesn't give you the whole story. Take for example for example the psychiatrist. What was his findings?

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

I'm just shock that such a comment could be made from such limited information. Such knee jerk reaction is so common in our society.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I have a 3yr old. One day at the mall, she wanted her toy which was at home. She started to scream and kick and hit. I couldn't hold her, I couldn't comfort her. There was nothing I did that worked. The whole mall must of heard her and everyone thought I must be doing something bad to her.

After having a child, I've learned not to judge so quickly when it comes to being an outsider.

Like I said AGAIN! I'M NOT SAYING WHAT THEY DID WAS OK!

But come on, some of you are talking about shooting the parents here!

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

Umm, they had kids in cages, 3X3 with no pillows or blankets. That sounds like vietnam prison camps to me. Thats realy all I need to know.

I know your not okaying what they have done, but you cant see any reason for cages can you?

Yes, I have kids to (3 and 1) and I never try to judge without knowing the situation first but this situation probably doesnt get much better with explanations.
For your situation at the mall Im sure most people thought you were dealing with it fine and not overreacting. unless you were physically beating a child most people are rational thinkers and would not jump to crazy conclusions about why she is screaming. I have had similar situations in crowded places, I know how you feel.;)

I stand behind my comment about shooting the parents. Drastic measures are needed to make sure stuff like this does not happen again. I also would like to take drastic measure against Andrea Yates and the people who supprt her cause. Saying she wasnt right when she did it.:angry:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Mental illness (as opposed to retardation) in children is rare, and the proportion of cases where the children are a danger to society is far outweighed by the proportion of cases where the kids are a danger only to themselves.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

Insanity defense didn't do it for me either.

Neither will it in this case for me if the children were normal and locked up all the time, used as slave labor, starved, ect.

However, there were professionals involved in this incident and I like to hear what they have to say since the foster parents said that it was the psychiatrist's idea of helping the children from doing harm to each other. The children were abnormal and mostly autistic. I notice this CNN linked article didn't mention about the conditions of the children or the professionals involved. It was indicated as a defense by the parents that it was used occasionally to isolated some of the children so they wouldn't hurt each other. It wasn't for living. It was used like we use a crib to keep our toddlers from doing harm to themselves. I can describe a crib as a cage too.

So don't know and again not defending what appears to look bad, but I'm not sentencing them to death yet.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Parents have neither the right nor the responsibility to literally imprison their children. If circumstances were that uncontrollable the responsibility they did have was to seek help through family, church, public or state agencies. There is a wealth of resources if people choose to use them.

(and no...my wife and I have no children...but we do have common sense and compassion)

These people do need to be slapped down hard, but shoot first and ask questions later?...vigilante justice accomplishes nothing but satisfying bloodlust.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I don't want to be preachy, but please *don't* use 'abnormal' in this way - it is deeply offensive to a lot of people with mental illness problems.

As a professor of developmental psychology and with a child with autism spectrum disorder, I should be very interested to read the justification for putting vulnerable children in 3x3 cages. If anyone has the link, please could they pass it on? This is a genuine request (no, I don't want to put my boy in a cage!) - I lecture on autism spectrum disorder and I would be really interested to read up on this topic.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

Your absolutely right, I retract my comment untill all the details are brought forward. But untill then im foaming at the mouth and cocked. ;)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I came from a family of 11 kids and somehow my parents avoided ever putting any of us in cages. (Although I'm sure they wanted to.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks