What's new

*** Official "THE ROOKIE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
They say that it is based on a true story. Does anybody know how they got away with a "G" rating. I might go see it if you think it is any good.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that the film looks like anything special, but I'm going to see it anyway because I am a huge baseball fan. It seems like there are not too many professional baseball drama films.

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
I think this film looks like a decent baseball movie. The story it's based on is pretty amazing. It's probably rated G because there isn't anything offensive in it. Kind of like The Princess Diaries.

Butch C

Second Unit
I was facinated by the Dateline NBC story on this guy from a while ago. If the movie doesnt overcheese it ( and if Dennis Quaid can throw a baseball at all) it should be pretty good. It falls under the too strange for fiction catagories.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I saw previews for this flick and thought it looked damn fine. I'll see it. Plus, I like Dennis Quaid a lot.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I thought it was hilarious that they were advertising the movie "from the studio who brought you Remember The Titans." Not that there is anything wrong with "Titans," which I thought was a good sports movie, but you just don't hear advertising about studios. Nonetheless, I look forward to The Rookie, looks to be above your normal baseball movie.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
My local "artsy" paper just reviewed this movie and gave it 4 stars out of 5. They usually reserve these kinds of reviews for the LOTR's type of movies so I am really intrigued to see it now. Not that I wasn't before (heck I always get a tear in my eye when watching "Rudy"), but I am beginning to get pumped to see this one. I'm gaining more respect for Dennis Quaid as an actor with each passing film. I surprisingly liked "Frequency"

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i am the only person who cries durring rocky. since this movie is not advertised much and it got the wrong rating, this will flop since you have blade 2 and clockstopers coming out.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I'm planning to go see it.

I hate baseball (I like the tactics, sorta, of baseball, but the game is so bleedin' boring to watch no way), but I love baseball movies.

I like Dennis Quaid, just a solid actor with great likeability.

The trailer makes me want to see this film; feel good, happy, root for the little guy, etc… Lots of happy in the trailer, so I'll go see the flick. Best part from the trailer was "well see honey, I made this bet with the team, and so now I gotta hold my end up" … love it. I also liked the part with the flickering speed gun. I like stories where the little guy wins, because it hardly ever happens that way in real life.

My friend and I both saw the trailer on the front of Harts War (which we thought was okay but very formula, nothing special), and both immediately wanted to see it. Hope it’s a good movie, trailer seems very successful thus far.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I liked The Rookie. It has a good story and should be of interest to baseball fans. That said, the trailer is essentially the entire film condensed into two minutes, which makes the film feel slow at times since there really aren't any surprises in it. A pleasant diversion.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
name the last good g rated movie that you did not fall asleep during. Mine was 8 years ago with the lion king.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I didn't see it, but I'm sure the G-rated 1999 David Mamet adaptation of THE WINSLOW BOY had the kind of depth and maturity for adults without "needing" anything else to bump it a few categories. Some films nowadays could qualify for a G with minor tinkering--and what would really be lost? Without putting too much of a spin on it, alot of potentially offensive stuff isn't essential in many a film, and I'm rather glad THE ROOKIE found it could deliver without it; it's downright refreshing nowadays. I'm reminded of the legacy of the late, great Billy Wilder, who did many a sophisticated, enduring film during his peak that had bite yet were more or less suitable for "general audiences." :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
name the last good g rated movie that you did not fall asleep during.
Just from the last 10 or so years:

Babe

Babe: Pig In The City

A Brief History of Time

Buena Vista Social Club

A Bug's Life

Chicken Run

Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Artarctic Expedition

Fantasia 2000 (of course, the first was better)

A Little Princess (1995 version)

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (it was overshadowed by MI & Shrek)

Microcosmos

Monsters Inc.

The Secret Garden

Shrek

The Straight Story

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

The White Balloon

The Winslow Boy

There are more animated films that are considered very good, but I haven't seen them.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well the true story was excellent and I can certainly see why it got picked up to be a film. Between that and Quaid's very pleasant persona I have some interest in seeing the film.

However, with Monsoon Wedding, Iris, FOTR w/ TTT footage, and Blade 2 all hitting...oh and still haven't seen Ice Age. Oh and Panic Room and Smoochy. Well, the Rookie will just have to wait unfortunately.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Rookie". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Rookie" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks