What's new

*** Official STAR WARS DVD Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

Kim-Arthur

Auditioning
I have a problem playing the bonus material disc on my player (pioneer 525) as well. It simply refuses to load at all, can't even try to access the titles directly.

Karl B

Grip
As a newcomer can I just say Hi to everyone.

I've now finished watching the region 1 New Hope and I think I've found a genuine glitch on the disc. It occurs right at the end of chapter 40, as a smiling Han turns away from Luke. Just as the chapter is about to change Han's head seems to stutter by one frame. I've checked the disc for marks (there are none), and the problem is still there even when scanning frame by frame, which makes me think it's the film rather than my player. It is also not a problem that appears on the Special Edition lasers either.

What's baffling me though is why no one else seems to have mentioned it as it is quite obvious. Can anyone else confirm if the problem happens on their disc? And also whether it's a region 1 'exclusive', or is it inherant on other regions too?

If it is common guess I'm gonna have to live with it, but if not I feel a return to the supplier coming on.

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,

I have a question about the "reversed" music tracks.
Are you saying that the instruments that you hear (say oboes and french horns for instance) coming from the right front channel are also sent to the left rear channel? If so, how would you describe the way this sounds? I'm not sure non-audiophiles like myself would even be able to notice it. I can understand the disorientation of having reversed sound effects on a soundtrack (for instance, a ship flying accross the screen from right to left, with surround sounds panning from left to right. But I don't think I would be honestly able to discern which channel had oboes, french horns and violins, and which had trombones, trumpets and strings. I know that when I watch a movie, I don't envision the orchestra in front of me and note where I'm hearing the specific instruments coming from, I just enjoy the movie.

Since none of the reviews (most by reviewers I trust) have noticed it, I'm inclined to think that it is something only the most "aurally obsessed" will ever notice. I will post the impressions of a Non-audiophile as soon as I get my copy tomorrow.

J.

Kim-Arthur

Auditioning
i think you should read the digital bits now, they've updated their review to say that the score on ANH is reversed..

Britton

Screenwriter
Maybe someone should bring up the issues with Han's head at the end of Chapter 40 to the Bits now that they have been made aware of the sound problems.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

13:37 into the movie there is a tuba that plays simultaneously from the right front channel and the left surround channel. It sounds very unnatural as the tuba should ideally come only from the right side of the room.

Neil

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Wow... a 124 minute audio glitch! Possibly the most serious glitch EVER on a major DVD release, and they picked STAR WARS to do it.

I could cry.

And before anybody thinks of removing this post, there's no way in HELL that this "alteration" was deliberate.

John

JackKay

Second Unit
From the digital bits:

[Editor's Note: since we initially wrote this review, we've detected a number of audio/mixing errors on the DVD version of A New Hope. They are as follows:

1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as if the master sound element was damaged. It's very distracting.

3) Possibly most critically, John Williams' entire score for the film has been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left rear channel is playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa). What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you notice it.

These problems are certainly severe enough in our opinion to merit a repressing/exchange of the disc. We're waiting to hear back from Lucasfilm on this issue and we'll update this review with the details as soon as we do.]

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'll be picking mine up at midnight tonight. Wouldn't that be an incredible irony if the Pan-n-Scan versions did not have these audio problems!

"Oh, the horror..."

Peace,

DM

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
This REALLY pisses me off.

I got screwed on "Meaning of Life" because I didnt read the reviews but I read the reviews on all the major sites and

NO ONE MENTIONED IT!

Do DVD reviewers even pay attention to what they are watching? I am really irritated.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Well, folks... Lucasfilm is now officially saying the changes are all "deliberate creative decisions." Here's their official statement, e-mailed to me a few minutes ago:

"We are always impressed with how closely fans listen to the many different sound mixes we have made for the Star Wars movies over the years. It is flattering to know that, indeed, the audience is listening. Consequently, each mix comes out differently and any changes that you hear on the all-new Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX tracks on the Star Wars Trilogy DVD set are deliberate creative decisions. We can confirm that there are no technical glitches as reported."

I'm going to give these discs a listen again and see if I buy that. I would suggest that when those of you who are audiophiles get your hands on the disc, give it a listen yourselves and see what you think.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they even doublechecked, considering they mention changes on the entire set, and you specifically only mentioned ANH. It sounds almost like a pre-planned form letter, anticipating people complaining about new foley or SFX additions.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I was going to question the "Bits" leaving the audio rating as an "A" on the review, but now, it still makes sense.

Paul

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

I wish they would elaborate on the "as reported" (ie, specifically address the issues), or as to why the "creative" decision was made for Episode IV, but not V or VI.

Although I'll have to reserve final judgement until tomorrow night. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks