What's new

*** Official STAR WARS DVD Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I have a feeling that even if the surround channels were inadvertantly reversed that LucasFilm will not issue a replacement. If you recall back to the days of the Laser Disc when the "Definitive Collection" was released there was 8 seconds of footage missing from Empire Strikes Back but no exchange was offered. Of course this was in the early days of the net when no one really paid too much attention to a bunch of "computer nerds"...

Chris S.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Can you imagine the cost of recalling / replacing this size of a dvd release? I have no doubt that they will stick with this "deliberate creative decisions" explaination.

Peace,

DM

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Mike,

Really... I have yet to find anyone who has a corrected disc, but I'll assume you have one and go on.

Chris S.

PS- Can I borrow it :D

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i too have the corrected Laserdisc. i am not too sure, but i dont think you even had to send in the one with the missing seconds for the replacement.
bob

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it'll be that big of deal. Back to the Future was a pretty large DVD release as well. That was handled okay.

To be honest, 95% or more of the buying public doesn't and won't know about this problem. Even if they were, they wouldn't be bothered with the replacement process. It's a very small minority that will care about it I'm afraid. That makes it very little work for Lucasfilm if they so desire.

With that said, I would agree that they will probably stick with this for now. Let's see how the situation goes over the next few months and more people have given the discs a spin.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
:frowning: Well its obvious I missed out on that replacement. While I'm still pessimistic given the reply received by Bill Hunt, I do hope that they'll offer a swap out. It would be the right thing to do.

Dean beat me to my second point... Have to be quick when replying to a Star Wars thread :)

Chris S.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I would say that in deciding if a recall is to be offered, the large size of the release actually mitigates in favor a recall. Compare this to smaller releases (and perhaps from smaller companies) with higher unit costs. Also, after enough time passes, people will be generally happy with their discs and not hassle (just like rebates, etc. For that matter, how many people actually sent back their flawed James Bond discs? I didn't. Not worth the hassle).

So, if the flaws prove valid, I hope they offer a recall on principle. It's the right thing to do. Even with the recall, they'll still make tons of money, and most people, whether they opt for the recall or not, will still be plenty happy.

I'll be happy whatever I choose, but I'd like the choice if the disks are flawed. I hope they do the right thing.

Dan

I was too lazy to send mine back for the corrected disc. Can anyone tell me if they fixed "this". It was there in '77, not corrected in '97. In the cantina a little creature (I'm not that much of a nerd that I know alien extras names) is reaching up for his drink from the barkeep waving his hands. It turns its head and you can see through its left eye, through the costome head, through its right eye out to the other side. I swore to myself back in '97 "oh they'll fix that after all these years. Nope... I seem to be the last one with the set..I can wait another 10 hours.............DJ Rhoades

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Ok - how about glitches of another sort? I've played half of Star Wars: A New Hope (WS) now. Since I don't have a surround system, I tried the 2.0 DD track first. There were a lot of dropouts through the opening scroll. Very annoying, but not a problem past that point. I then tried the 5.1 DD track. Only a couple dropouts and then ok through the cantina scene (as far as I went).

Also, the Spanish and French subtitles did not work, although the English did.

The machine I used was a JVC 500, modded for all-region play. I intend to try the disc on a couple other players.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The Spanish and French subtitle track are meant to subtitle Alien languages for the Spanish and French audio tracks. Non-English speakers have to watch it dubbed.

MatS

Screenwriter
so is the glitch in the region 2 disc then since it does not contain the "deliberate creative decisions." ???!!! :rolleyes

Bill Hunt

Insider
Well, after listening to the disc again, no WAY the Tarking line isn't a technical problem. It sounds to me like the original audio element was damaged, and so it got fudged a little in the mix. When you hear Tarkin's "Then name the system!" line, the tonal/quality change is obvious.

As far as the fanfare and the music during the early part of the Death Star attack being reduced in prominance in the mix... if that IS a creative decision as Lucasfilm claims, I absolutely hate it.

I'd like some of you audiophile experts to try to listen for the flipped music in the surrounds that Neil and other sources are reporting. One of our guys says he can hear it for sure. I think I can hear it, but I've been comparing it with the 5.1 LD mixes from 1997 and there are so many other differences in the new mix it's hard to tell what was deliberate and what might be the flipped music in the surrounds. I'd like some of you hard-core audiophile Star Wars nuts to give it a listen and let me know what you think.

In any case, the Tarkin line is definitely a real technical issue and the music during the battle bothers me to no end, creative decision or not.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The only spin going on right now is happening in Lucasfilms PR department.

If anyone wants to hear the reversed audio channels just listen 13:38 into the movie. It's a tuba playing during the Jawa Sandcrawler sequence. It comes from the right front channel, which is where it belongs. It's always been there, even on the soundtrack album. You can also hear it clear as day in the left surround channel. And as I've said, the music is like this throughout the entire mix! The main titles and the throne room and end titles are also excellent places to hear this, since they are primarily music.

Also, I recall hearing violins coming from the right rear when Ben dies. Again, they should be on the left hand side.

Neil

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
This is almost too funny. How does a mistake like this occur with the biggest dvd release since the format started? Its funny films with virtually no recognition from small studios are mastered correctly all the time but Star Wars which is known for setting the standard back in the day for audio and pushing the envelope is mastered wrong and no one seems to catch it. Unbelievable!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
for a movie with so many music cues/segments, those of us with 5.1/6.1 setups are really going to get screwed on this one, since i doubt they will offer a fixed version.

they would have to go back and essentially change the mix at this point, since it is isolated to the music.

i almost wish the ENTIRE rear and left channels were swapped, because then we'd be getting a recall for sure.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I seriously doubt they'll have a recall as their press release indicates. They sure seemed to rush that letter out before the DVDs release date, didn't they? It's sad that kind of thing happened in the first place.

Karl B

Grip
Hm, I find it strange that Lucasfilm assure Bill there are NO technical glitches on New Hope. Wonder how they'd explain away Han's head glitch? Maybe he's now supposed to be doing a double-take, perhaps?! Or maybe they'll say it only occurs on mine and Neil's copy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks