What's new

*** Official STAR WARS DVD Glitch Thread (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
A question on the mixed up surround channels issue- If you play it in 2.0 Surround and use prologic, are the rear surround still flipped?

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have watched most of Stawars ANH and have noticed something strange on the region 4 but please correct me if I'm wrong. At the start when the stormtroopers burst throught the door and start firing at the rebels there is a clear pink flash everytime theres an explosion or when theres alot of firing between both sides. As the fight progresses the pink flashing gets very distracting to the point of taking over the picture. At times the pink flash would dominate the screen even for a moment but it was there and very noticable. I'm aware that the colours are alot brighter and clearer but this was just over done IMO.At times it was too colurful but I guess I'm just use to watching the laser disc versions, but the issue mentioned above was just too hard to ignore. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm running the Marantz DV12 dvd player (US model will be the 9500 which isn't out yet) going into a Hitachi 57' Rear projection via component. I have watched some parts of the other 2 movies and haven't noticed anything wrong with them so far. On a positive note all the movies simply look amazing and the sound is top notch as well especially with Empire and Return just great.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ah, thanks Neil for a specific example. One day I'll check that out. I asked for one in the official review thread, and didn't think to check this one first!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Oh...another sort-of glitch that is actually a weird subtitle feature...turning subtitles off with the remote actually kills ALL subtitles, including the alien speech subtitles.

You have to switch to the second subtitle track to ONLY get english translations of alien speech. Selecting subtitle one will give you english subs for every line in the movie, not just alien speech.

This is with my Momitsu V880. It's rather disconcerting to switch to a different subtitle, then later turning off subtitles with the expectation that alien speech subtitles would still be retained. Weird feature!

Also, it sucks that the subtitles are not "burned-in". But that's probably because my player has terrible built-in subtitle fonts. Yuck...they look terrible!

2.0 Surround only has one channel for both rear speakers so it should be okay... although i hope i don't have to downgrade to watch it correctly!

You know this whole situation reminds me of the whole deal with the X-files episode "Triangle" that looks like a bad low-res version compared to the other anamorphic transfers... Fox ended up saying that was intentional too rather than face a recall.

Frankly, i find that kind of response insulting. I'd much rather hear "we know there's a problem but it is not important enough to justify a recall - ever" that "We WANTED IT to look like it was done by a six-year-old"

mjl

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor

The stutter does not appear on my disc.

All in all, I was blown away. I've never seen and heard so much detail in this movie.

Peace,

DM

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
interesting to note is that this release includes a Dolby 2.0 English track. Not sure if this information was known when the DVD's were announced way back when. Fox typically doesn't include 2.0 English unless its in the form of commentary but Lucasfilm included it on the Ep1 and 2 discs........at least that's what I've noticed.

If they were aware of the sound flaw in the 5.1 EX track too late in time to fix it, maybe they decided to include the 2.0 sound at the last minute. This is pure speculation and nothing more..........

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
LOL...part of me wishes that I hadn't been made aware of the audio problem, because I probably would not have noticed it on my own. However, I can assure you now that I will make a effort to listen for it and it will probably annoy me to no end. :)

Seriously, though, Lucasfilm/Fox should offer a recall to people who care (like me). I exchanged my misframed Back to the Future discs and I am all the happier for it. I think it'll be a small percentage of people who will even know about the glitch and an even smaller percentage who will actually go through the trouble of exchanging their DVDs. Some of the other problems reported so far are relatively insignificant (depending on your perspective, of course), but this is major since it affects the entire film. Something should be done about it, IMHO.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston

Actually, they did offer a replacement program which I took advantage of. Back then though the information was not readily available on the net so I believe I actually found out about it through Widescreen Review.

In any event you had to send the the one disc back and they sent you a replacement.

I'm bumming out over the news of the botched sound. I still will pick this set up.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Did the Bits even pick up on the rear channel sound bust upon their first review of the disk? I don't think they did. Which means it might not be that noticeable.

No matter, I plan to pick these up today. Waited too long to wait longer. If Lucas gets enough grief over this maybe he'll offer a replacement disk like that which was done for the BttF disks.

Edwin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Watched ANH last night and only noticed the flipped surround problem during the music playing at the end celebration. It wasn't overly distracting, but I did notice and it was rather odd. As for the Tarkin line, I felt there were other tonal shifts in dialogue throughout the rest of the film that were just as bad if not worse. I can't remember specifics, but I do recall thinking they sounded a bit off. The dialed back music in the Death Star attack was definitely a terrible choice and an example, I believe, of Ben Burtt wanting to punch up the effects so loud that they kill the score. Not a glitch, but a poor choice IMHO.

-Edwin

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp

Just like how if he gets enough grief, maybe he'll release the original versions of the trilogy to DVD as well.

This is not meant as an insult to you Ron. It is just that Lucas is not known for listening to consumer feedback.

Bill Hunt

Insider
I would agree with Edwin - the medal ceremony at the end of the film is where the music issue was mosth bothersome. For the rest of the movie, you hardly notice it. In fact, I DIDN'T notice it on my first pass through the disc. But like many things, once you hear it it calls attention itself.

The Tarkin line may have been unavoidable, but the music being pulled back during the Death Star attack I think is really unfortunate. Williams score is so great at that point and so much a part of the scene. With the 1997 cut, I hated the Greedo change. In 2004, the thing I hate most is this music alteration. Maybe it'll get retweaked for 2007.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
One question for everyone:

How are the other 2 films, Empire & ROJ??

Everyone is ONLY commenting on ANH but I am concerned about these 2 as well.

Thanks for the input.

Greg

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Please ask this in the main thread. This thread is for reporting and discussing glitches.

M.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I concur with these thoughts. When I got to the Tarkin line, I expected it to sound like it'd gone through the trash compactor. The entire movie presents varying levels of dialogue quality - some great, some not so hot. I relistened to the Tarkin line three times and didn't think it stood out as worse that anything else I heard in the movie.

Honestly, I was more distracted by some of the lines that sounded too GOOD! There are some that stood out because they were too high quality and sounded artificial when contrasted with the rest of the mix. Some of Leia's lines were most noticeable in that regard, especially when her hologram "speaks"...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Good point Aaron, no insult taken.

I wonder if, when Ep. III is released to DVD late next year, that he'll offer up a 6-pack with the corrected IV in that and not say a word otherwise.

On the side, Best Buy was packed today with 8 reggie's open and lines in all buying this set.

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand the point of a glitch thread where any glitch is waved away by the DVD creators as intentional and, by extension, not a glitch. According to the rules set forth by the mods at the beginning of the thread, this thread should be about 4 posts long since nothing so far is a glitch, according to Lucas & Friends.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. Shoulda been lining up to buy DVD burners and blanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks