What's new

*** Official STAR TREK (2009) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Well if you look at the new ships windows, one of the large saucer rim windows looks to be a little smaller than the bridge viewscreen window. I'm not sure why that's an issue. (BTW, how cool would it be if ALL the enterprise windows are like the bridge screen. That's how I'm going to imagine it.)

Again, the old ships didn't make sense. Take the layout of those saucer rim windows on the Refit Enterprise, If you were on the top deck the windows would be at your feet, and if you were on the lower deck they would be at the ceiling. Because they laid the windows out evenly centered so it would look nice on the model. Same thing with the TOS E.

The various deck plans don't make any provisions for the needs of a starship either, they just lay each deck one on top of another, with no room for the industrial needs of the ship, like artificial gravity generators etc. And even then their interiors didn't fit where they imagined them to be. The TOS shuttlebay is about 50% larger than the area its in. And the rim of the Enterprise-D is barely 1 deck high, yet they fit 10-forward into less than half of that.

A cool way to think of the new ship is that it's as big as it would need to be to actually fit everything the TOS E had in it. So even though it's much "larger" it likely has close to the same number of decks, etc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Zack-

You make a very good point that I should have known. I saw this in your earlier post and forgot about it, but you reiterate it here. When I design stuff, I do take into account what goes inside.

This illustration done by David Kimble in 1979 is my favorite. This one is a modified version of the original, but the cut-away portions are the same as the one I have. Looking at the center deck on the saucer, there really is room for one deck there. If you look at the rear side of the saucer, you can partially see the rec deck which is 2 decks tall. Given how it's drawn, the rec deck is strategically hidden to hide that it doesn't exactly fit. The floor would have to raise up a bit to match the curve of the hull. The area Kirk is standing when he tells the crew about the V'Ger threat in TMP.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/7/70/htf_imgcache_42909.jpeg] [/url]
In my browser, Safari, if you click on the image, it should enlarge. I'm sure it will in Firefox too. Or copy/paste to your computer to see full size, if interested.

Given your arguement of not looking at the external details as a way to gauge scale, then I agree with you. Though the hatch Kirk's get ejected through was pretty big still compared to the ship's size.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

One last think, one other minor problem I noticed is that there is a few feet of corridors in front of the engineering section you can see in the TMP when Kirk tells Decker he's taking command. In the cut-away drawing, there is no room for that! You be walking into the upper sensor dish area.

This is fun stuff!

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
If I remember correctly, of all the diffenrent iterations of the Enterprise done over the years never once has a toilet ever been included in the designs. Do you think they rectified the situation for the new movie? Maybe they have some sort of combo tractor-bean/transporter for waste disposal. If they haven't those 5 years mission are gonna get very uncomfortable.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Has there been any mention (even tentative) of when the DVD release might be? I'm assuming Thanksgiving/Christmas, but seeing as how my birthday's in October, I'm hoping for around then!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There was a toilet in the Enterprise A brig in Star Trek V. It had a warning sign not to use it while the ship was in space dock. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In some slightly off-topic news;

For those interested in model making, and I know that some of the members here have expressed interest, if you have not seen, trekmovie.com has a story today about some new model kits coming for Star Trek 2009 and classic Trek too.

The new Enterprise kit sounds a little dissapointing at first, small scale and snap together. But perhaps it's detailing is quite good.

What was interesting, Polar Lights has re-issued the 1/350 scale re-fit Enterprise. A beauty at over 30" long. They mention the possibility of a TOS 1/350 scale Enterprise sometime in the next year. That would be excellent. However I am trying to prepare for a similar scratch build.....

Exclusive First Look At Star Trek Movie Enterprise Model + More Round 2 Trek Model Previews | TrekMovie.com

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes, saw that. It looks very cool. The TMP version looks very nice as well.

Good luck with your do it yourself project.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
What do we call this new Series of re-booted alternate timeline Star Trek movies? Is it time for the fans to find a name. We can't call it the TOS movies. Star Trek TOS Movies Alternate Timeline? Star Trek - AT, Star Trek - Dimensions. I think it needs a name.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
AR, or Alternate Reality, seems to be the going name for it on most things Trek (memory alpha wiki, interviews with the creators, et cetera). Personally, when contributing to threads dealing specifically with the new movie (such as this one), all of my references are to the alternate reality, unless otherwise stated as referring to the "prime reality" (which is the unofficial term for the original timeline). When the topic is trek in general, I specify for both.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What a fun film -- again. We picked up the two-disc limited edition of XI yesterday, and watched it last night. We celebrated our youngest son's birthday Friday evening (he turns 13 this Sunday, on Nov. 22). As is customary on our childrens' birthdays, they get to watch what they like. So, I asked him what he wanted to watch, and without hesitation, he said the new Trek film. I didn't complain.
e267404.gif
All of our children loved it.

As always, it's great to see a film a second and third time. There is so much there that one can miss with only one viewing. I am quite interested in seeing the special features for this edition as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

As always, it's great to see a film a second and third time. There is so much there that one can miss with only one viewing.

I posted this in one of the threads in the HD section but when the Enterprise is flying through all the ship wreckage at Vulcan,

R2-D2

goes flying by on the left side of the screen at 0:47:39 or 0:47:40. You'll probably need to slow it down to see it though.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Travis,

LOL. I haven't seen that, but I have read here (and on one other Trek Board) that that 'item' is seen in XI. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks