What's new

Question about the 2009 Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness iTunes files and downloads (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-

I’m a sort of newbie to digital downloads. I’ve been using iTunes for almost as long as it’s been out. Long time. But I never or rarely bought any media on iTunes. I rip my own CDs with iTunes using ALAC. And for TV and movies, I made my own copies from the DVDs and placed them into iTunes.

So I took the plunge last week and bought War of the Worlds (1953) as it looks like the best bet for now for an HD version. And it’s nice to read that iTunes allows me to stream the 4K version.

So that got me curious, to check my downloads of two movies. I had tried the codes a couple of years ago for the 2009 Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness blu rays and I managed to download them. I tested these last weekend to see if they still worked as they are sitting in my iTunes library. At the time, I wanted to check before the codes became invalid and get those movies while I could. I never fully played them, just watched enough to see they worked.

In checking iTunes, I appear to only have the SD version of Star Trek 2009 and I think the HD version of Star Trek Into Darkness. I was not able to get the HD version of Star Trek 2009 to download and from reading the threads here, iTunes won’t let you. You have to pay to upgrade to HD. I’m checking with all you fine experts if that’s the case. I actually also sent a request to Paramount because I tried to use the code on the Star Trek 2008 Blu Ray the other night to see if it would let me download the HD version but the code is invalid. There was a link to Paramount I used for lost or invalid codes. I entered my info and got an email today to send proof of purchase and UPC code. So I’ll do that tonight. I’m guessing this might not allow me to get the HD. Anyone try this? But I guess I’ll see what happens with Paramount.

Bottom line, my guess from what I see here on the forum, the older 2009 Star Trek code is only SD. Star Trek Into Darkness appears to be HD. I’ll double check the files in my hard drives.

I thought why not take advantage of the codes. I never really wanted to stream, as I have the Blu rays, but after buying War of the Worlds, I thought I’d check it out more. Thanks guys for any insight. And apologies if discussed on another thread. I’m learning still about the download world.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
So you're just trying to upgrade a SD copy to HD? Once you own it, the only way I can think of to upgrade it is to purchase it in HD, which you will have to do as I described in the sticky at the top (unless Paramount does something for you).

Unless there is more to what you are trying to figure out?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Cranston. That was the answer to my long winded post. I did see your sticky above. And I figured that was the case. Let see if Paramount does do something for me. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Cranston- great news, I got the code back from Paramount to redeem Star Trek 2009 on iTunes. Their email asked me to send a photo of the proof of purchase on the box and I included the receipt from 2009 as extra. Plus adding a piece of paper with my email in the photo to prove it’s mine.

They sent me back a new code to redeem Star Trek 2009. So I tried it and it worked. It gave me the option for three versions, iTunes, Hulu and one other which I forget. I selected iTunes, and I launched iTunes and it immediately made it available on the cloud for my devices. And I then looked at the iTunes Store for Star Trek 2009 and the buy button said download instead. So I tried that and I’m actually getting the HD version. It’s downloading now, 4.69gb. So I managed to upgrade an SD version to HD this way. I didn’t expect it. So it was very very nice of Paramount. :)

Maybe they knew how many DVDs and Blu rays of Star Trek I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks