What's new

***Official*** Rotel RSP 1066 Fact and LOGICAL discussion thread (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Andrew,

It's the RSP1066 pre/pro.

I'm kind of dumbfounded too.

Anyone else here get this unit in the last few days where it just arrived to the store? Be interesting to see what you find with the mute button held down.

Chriss M

Second Unit
quick question, as i haven't picked up my 1066 yet, (and im sure it may be in this thread somewhere, but 25 pages is alot of reading and i wasnt able to find it :) ) but are speaker settings on the 1066 global or can you make different adjustments for seperate inputs or sound modes? Can you set different speaker sizes or crossover settings or is there one setting for this that would have to be adjusted manually?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I currently only have the beta for the new program to replace hyperterminal. its a neat little stand alone application but its still a beta with some cleanup required before it will be ready for public use.

Chriss The cross over is global but you can set different speaker sizes for each group of speakers(centre, Front, Side and Rears)

Joshua G

Auditioning
Hi, DanaA

I too have ver 2.20 on my 1066. I live ouside sacto and got mine from a dealer in south sac two weeks ago. Do we have the same batch ?

Josh

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Now Im curious about ver 2.20. Maybe this solves the double bass issue.

Allows diferent sub crossovers for each source. Lets hope this is coming. How nice would it be to hae the sub crossed at 40hz for music and 60/80hz for HT?

Earle

Damn these software upgrades are addictive.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Josh,
We got the rotel at the exact same dealer. I think on Power Inn Road. Small world, huh? I'm sure glad you posted, because I've checked three times with the same result each time. Now, if we can only find out what this version improves over other versions, so that we can share it with the good people on the board. ;)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Earle,

I did not notice the ability to have different crossovers with different imputs. However, I'm just getting acquainted with the unit. I'll post if I find out anything different, but I think the answer, at least with this issue, is negative.

As far as double bass, I haven't noticed it yet, but I'm not sure if I would with my current setup anyway. Thus far, I'm only using imputs from my CD changer and DVD player. I have my speakers set to small and am using the 60 Hz crossover setting.

Chriss M

Second Unit
thanks Andrew. Do you mean one global set of different speaker sizes (for example, mains-large, center-small, etc.. for all inputs and modes) or can you do something like set mains to large on the CD input and then small on the DVD input?

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, Josh and Dana, its up to you guys to try and figure out what is different. I know that you cant quickly identify if the double bass problem is gone, but what you can do is go over to Andrew's forum and look at the "1066 wish list" thread. See if your version of the 1066 does any of the things mentioned in the list (i.e. volume in dB rather than 0-90, display no longer showing "VID1 VID1", but other info, etc...)

Joshua G

Auditioning
Dana,

Yes It is a small world. I acually work out in Elkgrove.

I waited over a month for this thing and it was torture. I also am running all small speakers, so I haven't experienced double bass. I might try full range and see if I can notice something wrong with the bass. Any other things to look for ?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Gregg,
We're at your command. ;) Happy to do whatever we can to help you out. Us Sacramento area HT folk stick together. Note: I'm not a tech master, but will try.
On the two issues you mentioned above, the answer is negative to both. Still, 0-90 on the volume and VID 1 VID 1 on the display.
Two cosmetic suggestions that, in my opinion, would vastly improve the silver pre/pros would be to have a blue lit ring around the volume dial and to have that same blue color in the display.
Now boldly over to HTGuide to see what else I can answer from my relatively neophyte hands on experience with the unit.
Went over there. Nothing I can answer right now, other than what's already written. If I come upon something, I'll be sure to post.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Josh,
This is amazing!!! ;) I too had to wait a month or so. I guess you too were waiting for the silver. In the end, I guess we got lucky, because of the firmware package installed in the Rotels.
And by the way Josh, welcome to HTF. Before long, us Sacto folks will own this forum. :D

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
just did the Mute button thing/ I have 1.43 version

ironically I did the same thing on my dads and it doesn't work, the mute button just keeps flashing, he got his unit (at a different location) about 1 month before me.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Rodney,

I wonder if your dad has a early firmware 1.2 or so, before they removed the firmware from startup.

Andrew or other Rotle guros,

Is it possibly thru firmware upgrades to allow different speaker setups for each source (large fronts for CD, small for dvd, sat). How about variable crossovers for each set of speakers(fronts, center, surrounds, CB). The HK 520 has these features, just doesnt sound as smooth as the 1055/1066.

Now that would make this one of the elite machines, not that it doesnt rule already.

Earle

AlvaroD

Auditioning
Another finding :
if you press the remote's "Menu" button long enough, that will turn off the 1066's display.
It will then turn on again each time you press something and go off automatically a few seconds later.
To restore display, just press and hold Menu again ;)

John LaCava

Auditioning
I have a European model, Ordered it 3 months ago and recieved it a month ago. Wanted silver/black, but recieved black do to supply shortage.

I checked my firmware with the mute button: V2.2.0_020819

This is 2.2. That is very confusing as when I requested the newest update from Rotel I recieved 1.45.

So should I "upgrade" or not? I don't want to change to an earier, potentially crappier firmware.

Wish I could download the current firmware to my HD. I guess I should be able to do this through the tell net but I really am not much of a command line hound. Any one know how to do this so I don't have to figure it out by trial and error.

Any thoughts on these different versions. I think we should contact Rotel. No sense in guessing or testing. Get the story from the horses mouth. Rotel should not leave its customers in the dark, I don't care how good this unit is. It just isn't good customers service to leave an information vaccum surround your product having spent $1000+ dollars we deserve crystal clarity concerning all aspects of this machine. I'm sort of pissed off now.

Anyone with any insight, lemme know.

Cheers,

J

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
John,
can you drop a line to Mike Sheehan at Rotel and findout what is going on with your version. It seems to me that 2.2 is a older version as the date is 2.2_020819
version 1.46_020905.
Let us know what he says
Earle
Just wanted to say what a great forum this is. Where else can so many audio geeks get together and work thru things.
Thanks everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks