What's new

Official March 2nd iPad Event ANNOUNCEMENTS and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
What reason would there be to buy one that is only wifi? Are people around hot spots that often that it wouldn't need to have 3g?
There have only been a few times when I've really wanted a 3G connection. I find there are plenty of hotspots for me that it is not an issue. Sure 3G would be nice, but it wasn't worth the costs in my case. If I lived, worked, traveled elsewhere I might have made a different decision. And I always have my iPhone with me so that's a big reason why I was content with Wi-Fi only.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by TonyD

What reason would there be to buy one that is only wifi?
Are people around hot spots that often that it wouldn't need to have 3g?

Whenever I would be out and about with an iPad I would also have my iPhone 4 with me. If my phone acts as a wifi hotspot, then there would be no need for a 3G connection in the iPad, I would just use the phone's connection.

-Keith

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

HDMI does 1080p of course.

"Mirroring supported only by iPad 2. Video out supports up to 1080p for iPad 2 and up to 720p for iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch (4th generation). Movies play at up to 720p."

Also, the adapter "routes digital audio to screens that support it" (no mention of this depending on which of the supported iOS devices you have).

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Only thing to make me update is a better display, so when that comes I will update from iPad1. Probably will not get 3G version again either now that I have an iPhone and hotspot is coming, ( but more likely just to use my phone for whatever I needed to look up)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
"2011: Year of the iPad 2"

They said this a lot. It was flashed on the screen a lot. I highly doubt you will see "2011: The year the iPad 2 became obsolete with an iPad 3 with retina display" later this year.

That being said. I've wanted an iPad for a long time, so looking forward to this one. If I had a regular iPad I probably wouldn't upgrade and would just wait for the 3 this time next year. But I don't have an iPad, and I don't want to wait till Feb. Glad the speed is better. Hopefully it's as noticeable as the upgrade from iphone 3 to 4. Looking forward to it! Not sure if I want white or black though.

Also, i'm one of those people that will not get a 3G model. Just don't need it. I have an iphone, so I assume I could eventually tether off it's Internet. When I travel (for work) I can't imagine a hotel that doesn't have WiFi. If I'm out and really need 3g, I have my phone. So for me, the 3G model just doesn't make sense. But I'm sure people are glad to have ATT and Verizon on day 1.

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
I didn't get the first iPad and the announcement hasn't made me want the iPad 2 really. I have the same problems with it as everyone else I guess, not enough storage, poor front facing camera, unecessary rear facing camera and no improvement in the display. Also, it would be good to see the option of getting one in a smaller size, maybe 7 or 8 inches. Perhaps this is what might be announced in November.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

They said this a lot. It was flashed on the screen a lot. I highly doubt you will see "2011: The year the iPad 2 became obsolete with an iPad 3 with retina display" later this year.

Steve has made similar statements in the past that didn't really hold up when looking at Apple's actual actions. Anything said at these events is designed to do one thing, sell the announced hardware/software.

The assumption here is that the iPad 3 will have a retina display. It might be that the hardware in the iPad 2 was designed to support the retina display but technical difficulties required the display we actually got. Apple/Steve Jobs might consider the iPad 2 with a retina display as more a iPad 2.5. Or possibly, a higher end iPad that would cost more than the regular model (doubtful, but possible).

I don't know if we will get a retina display iPad in the fall as some of the rumors suggest, however I don't think anything said to date by Apple/Steve Jobs precludes it.

-KeithP

davesmith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Smith
....or a 7inch iPad with a Retina display (smaller screen=cheaper and easier to produce???) for november, followed by a full 10inch retina display next march

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

Also, i'm one of those people that will not get a 3G model. Just don't need it. I have an iphone, so I assume I could eventually tether off it's Internet. When I travel (for work) I can't imagine a hotel that doesn't have WiFi. If I'm out and really need 3g, I have my phone. So for me, the 3G model just doesn't make sense. But I'm sure people are glad to have ATT and Verizon on day 1.
I'm on travel 5 days a week for 6 months now, and I can tell you that a LOT of hotels free wifi SUCKS.

Also, if there IS an update to a retina display later this year, it's not incomprehensible that it would be called iPad 2GS =)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Still weighing the pros and cons back and forth in my head here.

I assume I can buy an iPad2 and swap the SIM card in it with the SIM card I use now and keep my AT&T unlimited plan going without interruption, right? And put the new SIM card in my old iPad1 with no issues?

What do you think I could get for my 64GB with 3G iPad1 plus leather case? Is $500 reasonable? It would cost me $350 to update to a similar model with the new cover.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I'm on travel 5 days a week for 6 months now, and I can tell you that a LOT of hotels free wifi SUCKS.
Sure. And if I had a travel schedule like yours, I'd have an iPad 3G or iPhone with tethering. But for the casual vacationer, who likes that $499 entry price, hotel wifi is increasingly free and usable, and might maybe preferable to paying an extra $129 to then spend an extra $15 / mo for 3G.

iPad with 3G for my wife, definitely. She'll do email and web and stuff in the car, when we're on a driving vacation.

For myself, I haven't decided.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm having an argument with a friend on Facebook :) about Apple's pricing of storage space: $100 for 16GB, or $200 for 48 GB

But it makes me wonder: is this memory the same I buy in a $30 USB thumb drive or a $30 SDHC card? Is Apple's pricing solely driven by profit or is there technical reasons for the pricing?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I don't see why I'd want to plug my iPad into my HDTV when my MacPro is already connected to it, so the HDMI out is mainly there to shut up the Android fans -- AIrPlay makes much more sense anyway.

iPad 2 looks great, but 2011 is the year I upgrade my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5 -- I'll be getting the iPad 3 when it comes out in 2012 (not believing the 2011 iPad 3 rumors -- El Jobso specifically called 2011 the year of the iPad 2).

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I assume I can buy an iPad2 and swap the SIM card in it with the SIM card I use now and keep my AT&T unlimited plan going without interruption, right? And put the new SIM card in my old iPad1 with no issues?
Shortly after buying my iPad I had it replaced at the Apple store due to the then rotate lock switch being defective -- they took out my SIM and put it in the new iPad.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov

I don't see why I'd want to plug my iPad into my HDTV when my MacPro is already connected to it, so the HDMI out is mainly there to shut up the Android fans -- AIrPlay makes much more sense anyway.

Tiny Wings, Ted, Tiny Wings on the big screen! :)

Or, to connect an iPad to an HDMI projector for presentations.

Given the cost of the dongle, it almost makes sense to buy a $99 AppleTV. I wonder how easy that is to connect to a projector and get working in a conference room?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by DaveF

Need a bit of help: Are photos sync'd to the iPad "optimized" and reduced in size, as they are for the iPhone? Or does it transfer full-size photos?
Sorry to quote myself, but I'd love a confirmation that the iPad auto-shrinks photos on sync, as with the iPhone. Assuming so...

16GB 3G iPad 2 for my wife.

Leaning towards Verizon, to hedge our coverage "bet" against AT&T iPhones on travels. But I'm uncertain, and hoping for early reviews to confirm pricing plans identical to AT&T. I should re-read 3G performance section of the Verizon iPhone reviews.

Edit:

Yep...definitely 3G. I considered the tethering option briefly. But that's about 6 hours of tethering time on an iPhone 4, and then the iPhone 4 is drained. The iPad 2 claims 9 hours 3G use and won't render the iPhone useless. Better trade for my wife.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Ted Todorov said:
Shortly after buying my iPad I had it replaced at the Apple store due to the then rotate lock switch being defective -- they took out my SIM and put it in the new iPad.

Same device tho, I'm going to a deferent kind of device that just also happens to be made by Apple

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't really need a new iPad 2, since I have the original. But I want it!

I was curious to see if it could be pre-ordered on Apple's site. I don't see anything, except that you can place an order on the 11th, release day. I already stood in line for about 3 hours on the first iPad launch day and another 8 hours for the iphone 4 release day. So I thought I'd rather not do that this time. I can wait, I don't really need it release day as my iPad is still working great. But it's fun to get it the first day!

Anyone trying to pre-order? I'd be curious if it's possible.

It will be interesting to see what Friday will be like. The first iPad had lines, but not so big since it wasn't a known quantity yet, no one knew how versatile it is. But now, like the iPhone 4, I am betting the lines could be pretty long.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Nelson Au said:
I don't really need a new iPad 2, since I have the original. But I want it!

I was curious to see if it could be pre-ordered on Apple's site. I don't see anything, except that you can place an order on the 11th, release day. I already stood in line for about 3 hours on the first iPad launch day and another 8 hours for the iphone 4 release day. So I thought I'd rather not do that this time. I can wait, I don't really need it release day as my iPad is still working great. But it's fun to get it the first day!

Anyone trying to pre-order? I'd be curious if it's possible.

It will be interesting to see what Friday will be like. The first iPad had lines, but not so big since it wasn't a known quantity yet, no one knew how versatile it is. But now, like the iPhone 4, I am betting the lines could be pretty long.
How would anyone "try" to preorder? There's no preorder set up on apple's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks