What's new

Official March 2nd iPad Event ANNOUNCEMENTS and Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's why I was asking, I didn't see anything on Apple's site. And a friend of mine did pre-order the original one and got it sent to his house on release day. I was kind of hoping to do the same, but I guess not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh, I thought you were just wondering out loud if anyone figured out a way to order. Actually it syas right on the ipad 2 page that no sales until march 11. Shop online. Buy iPad from the Apple Online Store starting March 11 and get free shipping. Learn more>

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by DaveF

I'm having an argument with a friend on Facebook :) about Apple's pricing of storage space: $100 for 16GB, or $200 for 48 GB

But it makes me wonder: is this memory the same I buy in a $30 USB thumb drive or a $30 SDHC card? Is Apple's pricing solely driven by profit or is there technical reasons for the pricing?

Let's see: 16GB flash drives are like $30, 32GB are $60, and 64GB are $120 on the low end of the average curve. Note quite linear, but in the ballpark. And of course, likely to change from month to month.

Apple's prices are designed to (1) understandable, or rather "easy to remember"; (2) stable for the year the product is on the market; (3) unlikely to cut into the desired margin if material prices should happen to go up during that time; and (4) structured so that the low-end model is attractively low. There are the obvious technical reasons for the sizes (multiples of two). You make each step a nice round hundred bucks. (A hundred was probably too low for the 3G, and two hundred was too high, even for Apple, so they settled on $130.) They know that many or even most will buy the low-end model, which has slimmer margins, but that enough people will buy the upsells to balance that somewhat.

At some point, the base model will have 32GB, and each hundred will double to 64GB and 128GB. If it makes sense strategically, they could do this "early" and make thinner profits early on in the multi-product cycle (the years that 32GB is the base), offset by better profits toward the end.

So in a sense, it's not either/or: the reasons are technical, but not about "speeds and feeds"; it's the technical aspects of maximizing profit and selling to consumers. Making it easy for you to give them your money.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
So i'm guessing you can't go to an apple store, preorder and pay, and then just come pick it up on the 11th? I assume this is because apple wants a line at the store on launch day for the "buzz". Makes sense, but it's annoying. If I'm willing to pay today they should allow me to so I don't have to go stand in a line, but that's just me complaining :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Exactly right, all about the buzz given the 'weak' reception of the Verizon iPhone. Plus it reminds us of Steak Sauce.

http://theawesomer.com/introducing-ipad-2/89666/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheAwesomer+%28The+Awesomer%29&utm_content=Twitter#TB_inline?height=400&width=640&inlineId=2011_03_030411_introducing_ipad_2

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I still think I'm passing I had an original 64gb Ipad and decided a few months in I wanted the 3g, so I sold that Ipad and when I bought the 3g model it had terrible light leakage, it was'nt up to the quality I had previously. I complained to the Geniuses who grudgingly got me another and this one was a good screen , no light leakage. I cold probably sell this for around $600 but then I still take the chance that the new screens are not as good as what I have now or maybe even get a screen with dead pixel or two. It's probably not worth the hassle to upgrade for the new features offered. If they had an increased screen resolution, a smaller model , or even bumped the storage to 128gb (Which I'm really surprised this was'nt offered) I may have made the jump.

O f course I could go into an apple store next weekend hold a new model and have all that fly out the window.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ted Todorov said:
Forgive the dumb question -- what exactly is light leakage?
Literal. Light leaking out from the sides of the Ipad at the seams. The iphone 3g had the same issue for some people. This is the first i've heard with the ipad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks