What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (2 Viewers)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
That sentence had me wondering what 'Bill' might be referring to. Since whatever I have seen and read over here has always suggested that the picture quality on both HD formats is pretty much the same. My first thought was maybe there was some kind fo technical reason for the UNiversal masters not being on par for Blu-Ray while they may have been so for HD-DVD. Although I could'nt really think of what kind of technicality that could be. Anyhow what 'David' just said, does explain what 'Bill' might have mean't. Ofcourse this is presuming that David is right in his assumptions of Bill's intent.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Haven't heard back from Bill yet to confirm exactly what he meant, but I can tell you that my comments about Universal's often poor-quality catalog transfers and the studio's unwillingness to spend the cash for new transfers even for release on high-quality BDM such as HD DVD is no secret. Threads at AVS, started by HD DVD enthusiasts, are devoted to this topic.

Even at that HD event where Ron taped the speakers, Universal was criticized by folks in the audience for their poor-video quality on catalog releases and if you listen to the Universal rep explain he basically passes the buck and says "well, that's how our old HD masters looked, so that's the best we could do". It apparently never occured to him that other studios, well, *make a new transfer* when the one on the self is inferior.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
For those of you here that would like to petition both Universal , Dreamworks and Paramount to support Blu-ray. Here are two links.

These are the only two Blu-ray petitions I know about. Both are copied and pasted from the web pages.

The petition for Universal:

To: Universal Studios We, the owners of the Blu-ray Disc technology encourage Universal Studios to release its films on the Blu-ray disc format as you do with the HD DVD format. Soon there will be millions of Blu-ray disc players in homes throughout the world and that the decision for Universal Studios to release its films on the Blu-ray disc technology makes perfect sense, both fiscally and with customer appreciation.
Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Universal Studio Support of Blu-ray Petition

The petition For Dreamworks & Paramount

This petition is for people who think that Paramount and Dreamworks should go back to Blu-Ray.

Moving soley to HD-DVD is awful for film fans who own Blu-Ray playing technology, mainly because the studios are cutting out people that want to see the movies but might not want to have to go out and spend for a HD-DVD player if they haven't got one.

Theres also people that actually prefer Blu-Ray to HD-DVD, so the studios are cheating the film fans again by not giving them what they want, by producing films for both formats.

This almost looks like the studios have looked soley out for themselves and not for the people that buy their films.

As times go on there is going to be more people getting Blu-Ray players with new PS3 owners and people buying Blu-Ray players, who Paramount and Dreamworks believe should either have to miss out or buy a HD-DVD technology if they don't have it.

Surely that is not on, and they should be letting the widest possible audience watch their films.

Sign on if you agree

Paramount and Dreamworks back to Blu-Ray Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

I just feel that if we want the HDM to move forward it is now time to let Universal, Dreamworks and Paramount know we want there movies on the Blu-ray format. By sending these studios these petitions it is my hope that it will cause them to rethink there position and support Blu-ray. This will help end the format war and let the industry concentrate on marketing one format to the consumer. It will also end the confusion of what format to buy as there will no longer be two formats.

These are not petitions involving HTF but consumers that want to see movies available on Blu-ray.

I just signed the Universal petition and there was 327 signatures on it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yep, online petitions are a waste. Just give it time Paramount and Universal will support Blu-ray.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
A few days ago I also emailed Universal and Parmount requesting that they support Blu-ray. I thought that a petition would be easier and more effective. But if they really do not do anything then plese feel free to email the studios directly.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Michael Osadciw asked a question about poorer quality on catalog titles. That is all. I was there; you were not. Don't reify it into more than it is by saying "folks," intimating that there were multitudes of people harping on Ken Graffeo about allegedly poor U catalog PQ. This is like saying all Sony releases look like the first T5E BD. Not all U HD DVDs look like The Game.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
The studios understand money, the biggest message you can send them is to buy films on bluray and not on hd dvd if you're a dual format owner. A few months of that and they'll get the message loud and clear. This is what I intend to to do, the end is in sight, time now for the little guys to put their own small nails into the hd dvd coffin and get this thing over with so we can films released.

Universal will be the final holdout, they want that stupid expensive combo format to be some sort of standard. Haven't bought one yet and I won't. I don't want an sd version of a film rammed down my throat when all I want is the hd version, and those putzes are insisting on combo discs for all new releases. For me, that makes universal dead to me, paramount is useless, and that makes hd dvd about as a dead as a format can get.

Vote with your wallet. Those guys don't understand anything else.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with "stupid expensive combo format" until I saw what most of the studios are charging for Blu-Ray discs. Uh, $45 for WALK HARD?! $40 for practically every Fox title? I have no love for combos (although it did allow me to bring HOT FUZZ to watch on vacation with my parents), but this seems a ridiculous beef in comparison. Hi-Def media has to come WAY down in price if it's going to make the kind of desired impact. Disney and Warner Bros. seem to get this.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Another possibility is that Bill may not know what he's talking about when it comes to technical details. It wouldn't be the first time.

BTW, not all of Universal catalogue titles have bad transfers. They did a nice job on Timecop.

M.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I have no doubt that HD DVD HW numbers are down since the WB announcment, but be careful with weekly numbers. A large portion of Toshiba's sales are only reflected in the monthly numbers not the weekly ones. There have been some months (and this won't be one of them) where BD has led in the weekly sales, but Toshiba has moved more units according to the final monthly numbers.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

That HD DVD petition is also spreading more anti-Sony, anti-BD propaganda:

**"We have a chance to save a superior format from collapsing under the weight of the greedy Sony corporation and its inferior Blu-Ray format.."**

Perhaps these type of petitions would have more respect among the HD-community, if they didn´t sound like started by some 15-year old "format fan" with pimples..

If you want to gain some respect, at least be honest and in some ways "fair" with your petitions..

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I appologise if it sounded like that was what I meant. That's not what I intended to say at all: what I meant to communicate was that HD DVD enthusiasts tolerated Universals practices because they had no choice in the matter: Universal was the strongest HD DVD content provider and even when some industry and consumer voices criticized poor catalog transfers it fell on deaf ears at the studio becasue Universal knew they'd sell the content either way and viewed it as the more cost-effective approach. I never intended to suggest that HD DVD consumer level of discernment for good-versus-bad picture was nullified by growing used to Unversal catalog titles, merely that they put up with it because they had to if they wanted those movies and so they begrudgingly did (according to HD DVD consumers at AVS).

Universal has a harder competition group in the BD arena because Warner, Sony, Fox, and Disney (the best of all being Disney and Sony at this point) are now comitted to top-drawer film transfers after having been criticized heavily for a few early botched titles. If Universal wants to compete with their dollars against this larger pool of content providers for HDM sales, they'll have to improve their product. The analog would be when early in DVDs life cycle many studios tried to recycle 4x3 letterboxed laserdisc masters to save the cost of new 16x9 transfers. But once a few of the major studios embraced 16x9 as a rule, the other studios were forced to do the same in order to compete with disc sales as consumers had enough choices with the larger pool of content to pick and chose based on perceived quality-value in addition to "just wanting to watch the movie".

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
By the way, when looking at the chart Brandon posted above from the Digital Bits, you need to know that the numbers DO NOT include the PS3.

Imagine what they would look like if it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks