What's new

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

HD DVD hardware sales don't do anythig for HD DVD (especially considering the slim-to-negative profit margin on each player).

Software sales are all that matters.

If every Toshiba HD DVD player was purchased today, but used to watch upconverted DVDs or provide a stand-by machine for existing HD DVD customers, it wouldn't do anything to support HD DVD or get it "back into the game".

HD DVD software sales are all that matter with HD DVD since that's the only factor that affects any financial profit, studio support, or sustainability associated with the format.

And if software sales figures don't rise to match the rise in HD DVD player sales, then those new customers are not new HD DVD consumers.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Francis, you do realise anyone can start a petition? That particular petition isn't actually by the BluRay group or by anyone with any responsibility and is more poking fun at reactions like yours.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

These percentage posts have no value without the data behind it. Is the increase due to a sudden increase in BD sales (unlikely), or because of a massive drop in HD DVD hardware sales (more likely). To see if the death of the HD DVD format will actually have any positive impact on BD hardware/software sales we will have to wait for the supporting sales numbers.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
From taking a very quick look at historical data from SD DVD player sales it appears that HDM is currently on pace to match DVDs adoption rate provided the January numbers can hold strong. If that were the case then I'd be very pleased with these numbers even though they are small in comparison to today's SD DVD player sales numbers.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
That's easily the most amusing series of statements I've read on this forum. You answer back to David's criticism of Universals catalog releases by pointing the finger at David for not having an HD DVD player and not being able to judge the quality of the transfers for himself. Further more noting that he's relying on written reviews for his information. That's fair enough.

However, at the same time you note that Sony has had a few clunkers yet readily admit that you haven't even laid eyes on many of thier releases at all. So how do you know outside of what you read online and depending on reviewers who or may not know what a film is supposed to look like?

I understand wanting to speak up for Universals catalog releases but boy if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black....

Adam_R

Second Unit

How is that not good for bd/bad for hddvd either way you slice it? The bottom line is the same: HD-DVD going bye-bye to make room for one and only one HD format.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just signed the let HD-DVD die petition and am impressed with the number of signers on it, I was the 9609th signer.

I would much rather buy Paramount and Universal titles on Blu-ray than HD-DVD that is for sure. I am not saying I would not buy any blockbusters on HD-DVD. But if for example Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, Back To The Future or Jurassic Park was release without lossless and just a Dolby Digital Plus track on HD-DVD I would have to pass on it!

As long as all 4 titles in the Jack Ryan collection on HD-DVD include the Dolby True HD tracks on the I may just have to pick that set up on release day. :emoji_thumbsup:

For me the following Blu-ray titles are a must have:
Crimson Tide :emoji_thumbsup:
Independence Day :emoji_thumbsup:
I Robot :emoji_thumbsup:
Man On Fire
Me, Myself and Irene
Ice Age
I Am Legend
Hidalgo :emoji_thumbsup:
The 6th Day
Twister :emoji_thumbsup:
Predator

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm surprised, that's not very much. Because I'm format-neutral, and I don't want one of the formats to disappear now, I just signed the "Save HD DVD!" petition" (yeah, for what it's worth) and that one has more than 26,250 signatures already at the moment!

Cees

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Actually I would be surprised if the numbers had been any different from what they are. I would think it's people with HD-DVD players who would be more worried about support for that format than people with Blu-Ray players. It' s a normal humal tendency to strive harder when one is behind, while being ahead tends to make people complacent and therefore less likely to act.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Bill Hunt over at the Digital Bits just announced that the Bits will no longer be accepting advertisement dollars from the HD-DVD group. World markets just took a steep dive this morning.Does anyone think this is just a coincidence???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks