What's new

****Official "Enterprise" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. Need to think about that.

By the way, per reference to a previous post, that episode involving Trip's having to become acclimated to an alien species' atmospheric conditions aboard its spacecraft repeats tonight. It's an interesting failure of an episode.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
Comparing Enterprise to previous Trek or it's "competition" is valid and fair. Just depends on the context - which is what was being asked in the first place: new viewers interest.

Comparing Enterprise to past Treks (for new viewers) only works insofar as whether those new viewers are not already fans because they never got into it, or because they didn't like it. Personally, I feel this is Enterprise's weakest area.

The characters are actually pretty good by Trek standards, and I get the distinct impression that it's just a matter of the actors getting acustomed and a little writing tweak here and there (much like the other series). But I have to admit...if I never got into Trek, and gravitated towards the likes of (starting from way back) "V" and "X-Files" and "Angel," (to name a few), well, then the capture-factor is pretty low on Enterprise. And that's not including the "Smallville" and "Roswell" stuff. If, on the other hand, I just never picked a Trek up so some idle reason, then it's possible Enterprise will hold onto someone who can access Trek's style. But I don't think, as of yet, Enterprise is "converting" anyone who might have preconceptions or who out and out didn't like Trek much to begin with.

Really, in order to really take this show into its own, I think all B&B need to do is pick which element they want to dominate: the show's setting, characters, and physical "feel" are a change in gear for Trek, let alone the theme song. However, many of the storylines (be they good or not) are very reminiscent of past Treks. So there's often this intangible awkwardness of these slightly "untrek" people and circumstances being forced through "very-trek" stories and plots. I think if they accomodate one element or the other on both sides (the stories and the people/settings), it will benefit the over-all quality of the show.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
My faves:

1.TNG (best)

2.Enterprise (loving it)

3.there is no 3

4.DS9 (I watched it but found the bickering annoying and Sisko's voice beyond pretentious)

5.Voyager (I watched it but except for 7of9, the Doctor, and ocassionally the engineer who married the boring guy, the characters were as interesting as lukewarm tea)

I'm not even including TOS because to me it really has nothing to do with the show as I know it, growing up with Picard and crew. TOS is just a campy, meeting-greek-gods-on-alien-planets that all look alike kind of "spoof" thing.

Hey, all you TNG action figure collectors (you know who you were!), you may be upset to hear that the Enterprise figures are coming soon from another company, and they are going to be big (7") and expensive. The license was just announced.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got to catch this show and I am suprisingly impressed. I appreciate the "gritty-ness" of the show. For me, TNG, Voyager, and to some extent DS9 seemed to "sterile". I also like the fact that the common man can identify more with the crew of Enterprise than any of the recent Star Treks. It kinda brings back the concept of teamwork that was missing in the other recent shows. Before you flame me, let me explain.

My biggest gripe of TNG was the fact that everyone on the crew was superhuman. They all knew physics, they all could fly the ship, they could probably all fix a warp core, they could all command the ship, or whatever. In fact, it seemed that if they had a crew of any one of the cast, they would do alright, especially if they were a crew of Datas.

The crew of Enterprise seems to be a bit more diverse. I like the fact that they rely on each other and that everyone plays an important role.

The show still needs some refinement, but I think its doing better than the other shows did on their first season.

I am kinda psyched about this show. Its been too long since I have enjoyed a good star trek.

-ikiru

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Will, I would kindly suggest that you give TOS another chance by selecting DVDs of the best episodes and screening them with a view toward appreciating the story--while, in the process, using your blinders when it comes to special effects done on a restricted shoestring of a budget (as well as some of the series' '60s-era social conventions).

Episodes that I'd recommend: "The City on the Edge of Forever," "Shore Leave," "In Truth Is There No Beauty," "The Managerie," and even something like "The Trouble With Tribbles."

About last night's repeat episode of Enterprise--oops, I made a mistake above.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah - if you can get past the 60's cheese, TOS has some excellent episodes. It's worth giving another chance.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I was indeed being too harsh on TOS, and was probably just trying to rile people up. Sorry. When they had turkey episodes, they were super-turkeys, but I appreciate that there are some standout episodes.

Enterprise seems to mix the edgyness of racial issues from DS9, and the entertaining sense of adventure and discovery that TNG had. As long as they avoid the sterile Voyager with its infamous "reset button" (at the end of every episode everything is back to the way it was - no character development, nothing), they'll do great. This is the first cast that has a chance of being in another movie, I think.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You're a hundred-percent correct vis. what ailed Voyager, Will.

As for TOS, look, even I am willing to admit that the third season is all but unwatchable. You have to be diehard Trek fan and sentimental hanger-on to get through some of them. Even then, I'd take third-season TOS over any-season Voyager any time anywhere.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know why ENTERPRISE is showing reruns? I was very disappointed last night! :frowning: Didn't see any previews for next week either???

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
It's all gonna be reruns until January. Don't fret, it's not at all different from other Trek shows as to when the first chunk of re-runs airs. Don't forget, we had 9 weeks in a row of all new episodes.

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Saw the previews for the next 5 NEW episodes of Enterprise tonight. They start next week and they look GOOD! Anyone else see them? They repeated the 2-hour premier episode tonight...is UK getting this series yet?

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I can't help thinking that Scott Bakula must have enjoyed that scene in the promo where hes rolling around with his head into T'Pol.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we're finally starting to get new episodes--after the entire first third of the season had been rerun.

You know, kids, I was there when TOS was first aired on NBC. I remember seasons of nearly thirty episodes, with reruns only occurring during the summer. I remember well those fifty-two-minute episodes.

Now, we get twenty-six episodes per season at forty-eight minutes each. ...

Whatever.

I hope this respite of five new episodes gives us some good memories. That way, we can enjoy five more weeks of reruns all the more before the final stretch kicks in--and then we get to see them all again in the summer. Woohoo.

(Yeah, grumpy mood today.)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hey, at least the Trek shows give us 26 episodes. 22 seems to be the norm for hour-long shows these days.

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
22? i swear NBC does like 13 anymore. It's sad.

I was glad to see the 16th was when new eps start. Because a few other sites had said nothing until 28th or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks