What's new

****Official "Enterprise" discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ok, maybe it's a bit pretentious of me to call this an official thread but I thought maybe we could all keep our posts about the show in one thread with a 'general' subject line.
Unfortunately I missed the pilot episode but have seen a few that followed it and I loved it.
I am NOT a "trekkie" or "trekker", I'm a mildly interested "Star Trek" viewer. (FYI, I'm not a fan of the original series but I liked their theatrical films. I liked "Next Generation", both series and films. "Deep Space Nine" and "Voyager" I took a pass on as they failed to keep my interest.)
...but I got hooked on "Enterprise". I so got into the awe and wonder of the storylines and of how the characters must have felt. Especially the one episode where they were looking for our sun in the sky of another planet.
I've always enjoyed Scott Bakula and I feel this is great casting. His character will make mistakes of course, he's the first one out there!
The rest of the cast I'll have to get used to...except "T'Pol" (that the vulcan's name?) She just seems to be on an Angelina Jolie kick and it's really annoying.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who really dislikes the theme song. Cheesy to the extreme.
I hope this series goes on for a long time and yeah, maybe a feature film or 3. :)
------------------
My DVD collection--> http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/DVD_Collection.html

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Ok, ok. Here goes... *cough*..........been a big fan of Star Trek since TNG and I like the theme song for Enterprise. :)
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
I've enjoyed this show a lot. I've even talked to a lot of people who were a little down on Star Trek while Voyager was on, and they are also right into this series.
I also like the fact that they're showing it in widescreen.
As for the opening song, I didn't like it at first, but it seems to be growing on me.
Live long and prosper,
Norm

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I think the series has a lot of promise, but it will only be realized when they get some good writers in there to develop it. So far, they are starting to lean way to much of previous knowledge of the core audience. Yes, it is good to see a) wonder at being in space, b) occasional lack of gravity, c) fear of the unknown, d) good old human racism to work through (missing from the other Treks where only "bad" races were racist...odd, that) and thankfully a lack of some woefully operatic (and not in a good way) story arcs. It is nice to see the old style show where each week was some new thing to encounter, deal with, and move on. Good stuff that I hope they keep up. This way, even casual fans can pop in and enjoy an episode without having to read the internet FAQ to find out the overall storyline. There are enough soaps, sci-fi or otherwise, on TV. I tried to get back into DS9 at one point, but was so lost with the main story arc, I gave up (which race hated the Federation more, where did that cloaking Fed ship come from, why is Sisko still not a captain? And so on...).
Thanks for starting a single thread. Much nicer.
Have a good day!
Phil
------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
PS Michael, I love your work in Madman Comics! :)
Phil
PPS And I will never like the theme song. Bryan
Adams-esque is not an adequate style of Sci Fi theme song.
Unless it is a scifi show about Bryan Adams.
Which, so far, this show isn't.
Phil
------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I've been a Star Trek fan since I was young. I liked watching TOS, but can't remember every detail because I was rather young. Then I really attached myself to TNG. I wasn't much of a fan of DS9. Mostly because it didn't feel "Treky." More like a soap opera. I wasn't too much into Voyager because DS9 turned me off, but the last couple seasons of Voyager brought me back in. So I've also seen almost all of the Voyager episodes through the nightly reruns. Then Enterprise shows up and I'm more excited about Trek then ever.
I love the theme song. I liked it from the very beginning and it keeps getting better. Sometimes it'll be stuck in my head for hours and I don't mind. I think the characters are great and so far I've enjoyed all the episodes. Even the one "weak" one a couple weeks ago.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I've been enjoying Enterprise since the pilot, and really the only thing I've found to be amiss is Captain Archer. Nothing against Scott Bakula, who is a fine actor and does the best he can with what's written, but his character is absurd. In episodes 2 & 3 my Dad and I kept saying to each other "What a jackass! T'Pol would be a better captain!" In episode 2, Archer went overboard with the righteous indignation to mask his guilt(?) at leaving the Axanar crew (why?) and then almost gets everyone killed over the DEAD aliens. In episode 3, Archer decides to forgo detailed scans of the planet to make sure there won't be any problems upon landing... his rationale: "I'm human and I'm so antsy I can't wait to explore this planet, scans be damned"
There is a point in being over-cautious explorers, otherwise you don't live long. It's almost as if the writers are using Archer's stupidity/short-sightedness/what-have-you to propel each plot forward.
I am so trying to get a grip on what the writers are thinking with this character, but have so far come up empty-handed.
Now about Hoshi Sato...
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by David Williams on October 22, 2001 at 12:42 PM]

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I have to say I've been severely underwelmed by Enterprise. It's the same old, same old schtick. I was hoping they'd really go for something different but, so far, they haven't.
------------------
Todd.
"Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..."
- Sealab 2021

John Murphy

Auditioning
I am also enjoying the series. I watched all the originals, was in my teens then. I remember waiting very impatiently for each show. I watched TNG and liked that, DS9 I never really got into... Voyager was good at times and others it dragged. Enterprise seems to do the same, but I will continue to watch and see what develops.

J

John Morris

I'm enjoying Enterprise, but sure wish that it was on a different network. Although the show is shot in media consistent with HD broadcast, UPN seemingly is never gonna broadcast in HD. If UPN was smart, Enterprise would be a perfect HD coming out show for them to show that they are not a fourth rate network. Maybe, they'll wise up for the second season.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I have always been a fan of TOS, I enjoyed most of TNG, I'm a bit of a minority here because I really got into DS9 and absolutely loathed Voyager. I was all set to totally miss Enterprise until I heard that Scott Bakula was the captain, being a fan of Quantum Leap and having the opinion that Bakula deserves more work than he gets, I decided to give it a try.
So far, it's OK, IMO. Not bad, but not great. Then again, TNG started with schlock like "Encounter at Farpoint" so I'm willing to give them a little time on this one.
My problem with the series is that it all looks too technologically advanced. One example: their transporter control is a tiny little thing while the transporter in TOS was big enough that they needed two people to operate it. There are also touch screens here and there. I understand why all this stuff is there: they decided to base the technology from what we have today, rather than what TOS looked like. I understand the logic behind it, but I guess I was hoping for more of a TOS look to things (or maybe I'm just missing all the mini-skirts! :) )

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I enjoyed last weeks episode. But I have the feeling that I may be a week behind all of you. I saw a post in the After hours lounge section referring to the gravity episode long before I saw the show on saturday.
Jon

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I almost bust a gut during the
11/14 episode when Archer says to T-Pol...
Spoiler:Ah! So that's why alien encounters always
happen in a Kansas corn field.
Funny, funny line....
------------------
Dr. Joseph Howard
Link Removed
"Imagine what you could do,
if you could do what you imagine."

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
"I'm a bit of a minority here because I really got into DS9 and absolutely loathed Voyager."
I don't see how that puts in you in the minority, Chauncey. That describes a lot of us. And I can well understand the view of many commited Trek fans that DS9 may represent the franchise at its best (though my heart goes to TNG--this, from someone who has been following this phenomenon since September, 1966).
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Agreed. Personally, I think that loathing Voyager (and loving DS9) is price of admission to the Trekkie clubhouse. Just my opinion, of course.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I like the theme song
It takes a brave man to admit that, posting a full name and photo along with it. :)
Well, I've watched pretty much every episode of every incarnation of Star Trek that there has been. Other than a few rocky bits here and there, I have enjoyed them all. Until now....
I've tried to watch Enterprise. God knows, I WANT to like it, but I'm afraid it just isn't happening. The stories seem dull, the characters duller. It just doesn't feel like Star Trek.
Last night I made it through the first 10 minutes, then I put on Singin' in the Rain instead.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've watched pretty much all of Trek to date. I wasn't inclined to watch Enterprise, but I caught the pilot, and was surprised to really like it. It had a slightly darker, more suspenseful feel than TNG, etc. have had.
About the only thing I don't like is the big-hair-Michael-Bolton-esque theme song. It's just all wrong.
And T'Pol could use some work. For an emotionless Vulcan, she seems pissed off an awful lot.
tongue.gif

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The song is not so bad, I think it is nice. And the opening montage during that song is very, very good. Captures much more spirit than the Voyager montage did - all Voyager's did was show off how they can use CGI to make a flying spoon. This montage is designed to reach the heart with reminders of mankind's quest for exploration (of course). It works.
As for the show, I think it is great that Scott Bakula is not being relied upon to be the focus of the show. The officer with the country accent seems to be the lead actor most of the times. I wish they'd get back to do more with Yoshi (I think that is her name - the translator).
All the characters on the show are really, really well developed already, and it isn't even season 2 yet!
All the quirks in the stories are fun - T'Pol using a nasal inhibitor so the smell of humans won't gross her out... Archer being driven nuts by a squeeky deck plate in his quarters...these kinds of touches are making the show so much less sterile than Voyager. The snowman was a real laugh!
And the crew gets along with eachother, unlike the DS9 crew which was basically Itchy & Scratchy in Outer Space.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Was it someone here who pointed out that T'Pol occasionally follows the Jeri Ryan school of acting aloof by putting unneccesary pauses between her words?
As that person said, when it happens...it is very annoying.
I hope she...doesn't do it much.
She's got great, great potential. But she needs to have an episode where she kicks some butt. Vulcans are what, twice as strong as humans? Let's see how she handles herself.
One more thought about T'Pol. It is not that her lips are big, it's that she has a little head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks