What's new

*** Official E3 Announcements & Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
E3 2002 Day Three Wrap-Up: the "Booth Babes" Part II:
1 - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - Link Removed - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34 - Link Removed

paul h

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...have i missed something here, have there been no huge secret games announced??? Yes there are some great titles on display like PDO, Shinobi, Mario, Metroid, The Getaway, Project Ego, Silent Hill3, MGS Substance, Enclave etc etc but i expected to hear about more 'undercover' titles. There are undoubtably some sweet looking XBox games but absolutely nothing to make Sony start worrying. Nintendo have shown their A list games but again no surprises there, anyone with a passing interest in a Gamecube already knows Mario, Zelda, Metroid are coming...what have they offered new to entice people that arent bothered by Mario?

Yes Blinx looks to have innovative gameplay but i fear it'll just be another one of those games that does reasonably well but doesnt come close to the sales of something like the next Spyro The Dragon.

I'm not surprised that Sony reckon the console war is over, i believe them, for this generation of hardware anyway. 30 million consoles is a huge lead and they will continue to sell...in 2 years time the hype will be surrounding the PS3 or whatever they call it, though it will be interesting to see how Sony do being the 1st console to market without an offering from Sega this time round.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Has anyone heard what is up with Road Rash 2 for the Playstation 2 (PS2)? I saw it on some online stores as a preorder item to be released Christmas 1999. However, they have all been removed and I can't find any information on Electronic Arts website: http://www.ea.com
Apparently, they already presented a demo of the game at the E3 2000, which you can read about here: http://www.gamers.com/game/258739

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think Nintendo at least has a pattern - reveal secrets at SpaceWorld, and show playables at E3. I expect the secrets will be revealed at SpaceWorld this year.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
From a moral point of view, showing only 'half' of a woman in this manner is a really terrible thing to do! So... to redeem this error, I demand that the rest of her is shown as well... her behind! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Andre F

Screenwriter
Just wanted to say that I thought the Nintendo games (Link, Metriod and Mario) looked amazing. Starting in August I'll be happy I bought a 'Cube.

-Andre F

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo's games seem to be the ones that got good remarks across the board. They look good, and from what I've read, play good.

But what happened to Kameo from Rare?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Rare is still in hiding. There are a few possibilities:

1) They really did go 3rd Party.

I guess this is possible, but I'm still not betting on it. Nintendo owns a peice, and I don't think Nintendo would let them go.

2) They are weighing their options, including a buyout offer from Nintendo.

I put a large amount of stock in this one. Nintendo did buy out another 2nd party this year, and it wouldn't be wholly unlikely for them to buy Rare. Nintendo maintains the relationship hasn't changed, and anything Rare has said publically reflects this.

3) Nothing has changed. Rare is tired of game delay press, and this 3rd party press can only do them good whether they announce it's true or not, so their cards are held to their chest, and they don't say what's up.

I suspected that Rare would speak up at E3. Now that they haven't I wonder that we'll hear an announcement at Spaceworld in August. Being that Spaceworld is Nintendo-only, I'm looking at a Nintendo friendly announcement.

Again - Time will tell. One reason it's suggested that incomplete games were not announced is that the playables were already going to take the spotlight on the E3 floor. Why take the spotlight from new announcements or from playables when you already have the attention of the E3 floor with Zelda, Mario, and Metroid?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What about Donkey Kong Racing? I'm sure it's a 2003 title but I haven't heard any E3 news of this title. Was it even shown?

Exactly how much of Rare does Nintendo own? I was under the impression it was almost a controlling share. Perhaps not?

Eric Nees

Agent
Rare only had one game at E3 this year, Star Fox. Compared to last year where they had 3 Gamecube games (one on video) and 4 GBA games on display, none of which have come out yet. Something is definitely going on.
Nintendo owns somewhere between 25-49% of Rare. The founders of Rare, the Stamper brothers, own the rest. So if they really wanted to go 3rd party, there's nothing Nintendo could really do about it. Which is exactly what Shane Satterfield, one of the editors at Gamespot, Link Removed:
I have had it confirmed by two sources in the past 24 hours that Rare is going multiplatform and to expect an announcement in the next day or two. Granted, it's not a definite until it happens, but if I were to tell you who told me this information today I think you'd assume it's a done deal. Perhaps when/if an announcement is made I'll be able to share where my information is coming from. But until then I can tell you that Rare is going multiplatform or prominent people in this industry are lying to me. It's one or the other. This is all I can tell you.
Shane's post is from Wednesday night, so obviously the announcement didn't happen, but I don't think he was lied to. Unless something major has changed, it'll only be a matter of time before we finally hear the official news.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Someone at Nintendo said they only showed Starfox from Rare because "None of their other games are expected to be completed this year". I can't imagine Nintendo are happy with that.

The majority of Rare is owned by the Stamper brothers & one other major shareholder from their early Ultimate Play The Game days - I forget his name. In the UK, there's been rumours that at least one of the Stampers wanted out the business for a while - from before the whole Rare/Activision rumours started.

The other company that Nintendo recently bought out was Retro Studios - they basically bought out the owner of the company & gained complete control of the Metroid project. There's a good bunch of people down there & the man in charge now is apparently on the ball.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Wow, what a week to have a kid! (it was a girl by BTW :D)
Where do I start, there was so much stuff in this years show I'm still catching up. This was the best E3 ever!
First off, Mario looks a lot better moving than in screen shots. Looks like a sure winner there if you’re in to the fat little guy. Zelda is starting to grow on me; I don't mind the cartoon look so much.
The games that stood out the most for me was PD (Can't wait for this game!), Project Ego (stunning, simply stunning), Metroid (wow, this game has come a long way!), Blinx, Tork, Malice, and Vexx. I love a good platformer and from the looks of it I'm going to be a VERY happy gamer for a long time to come.
Count me in for Xbox live, I couldn't of asked for more in an online service.
I found DOOM III to be a little disappointing, it just doesn't look like DOOM to me yet. The graphics totally blow me away, but to me it looks more like Silent hill meets Halo. I'm not writing it off yet, but I'm afraid its going to have the "episode I" type effect, blows the doors off the originals in the graphics department, but doesn't come close to having the same magic that makes the originals classic.
That’s it so far.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks