What's new

*** Official "BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF"Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Saw it last Friday night with a packed house. It's an incredible film, that I hope opens wider soon, so those in the smaller markets can appreciate this masterwork.

I must agree with Michael, about noticing all the other film influences that went into the making of this. The opening definately reminded me of Jaws. However, since it is impossible to do anything original, you can only expect a new twist on it. This film is a bag full of pretzels.

The beast was cool, the leads charasmatic, the women beautiful, full of violent deaths and awesome kung-fu fights, what more could you ask for? My only complaint was that it dragged a bit towards the end, I wanted the plot to move forward a little quicker, but it wasn't a big deal. Great film all around.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Since the moderators saw fit to bury my question in this thread that is hardly being updated, hopefully someone, somewhere will see it? Any idea on the wider release plans for Brotherhood of the Wolf?

Thanks

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I am really looking forward to seeing this film. It looks like a great visual feast.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Any idea on the wider release plans for Brotherhood of the Wolf?
Well, Link Removed has it expanding on 1/25. For what it's worth, here in the Boston area it expands from 1 screen at a boutique place today, adding three at more mainstream theaters.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
And in New York, it expanded today (1/18) from four theaters in Manhattan to the other boroughs, the 'burbs and New Jersey.

M.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in a relatively empty theater (monday afternoon :rolleyes). Everyone around me seemed to be having a lot of fun... those landscape were absolutely georgeous. The whole movie looked grainy, but it looks so cool I am thinking its intentional.
I felt it was a little too long, and had many unecessary fights. My biggest problem though, was the absolutely terrible CGI. I am not at all a nitpicker, I have seen better CGI on freaking TELEVISION!!!
I also wish they two heros were dressed up more often like at the beginning (the way the look on the posters).
Overall, a solid :star: :star: :star:, well worth the ride.
--
Holadem

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Finally saw the film this evening and came away very impressed. Just contrasting the way in which it was photographed and shot as oppose to several other productions was interesting. The sound effects enhanced a lot of the scenes substantially, and the movie kept a brisk pace never failing to entertain. A very polished action film (and that is all it is), highly recommended. Good start to the year :)
***1/2

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I attended a critics' screening today. Word is that Columbus will get it next Friday, and it won't be playing at the arthouse theater. Interesting. I think it can play well for a mainstream audience, especially if they're patient enough to wait until an hour or so in.

Solidly entertaining movie.

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw the movie (80% full, small theater). It was a really good action/mystical/martial arts/mystery/love story flick ..in French :) The subtitles were a bit difficult to read in 2 scenes, other than that ..no complaints. Very interesting characters set in a complex story. Lots of action, some gore, some nudity. Can't recall any swearing, tho. I really enjoyed the movie and hope it does well in the US.
3.8/5

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this yesterday, great film. Interestingly enough it wasn't playing at the Arbor, which is the "non-mainstream" Regal theatre in Austin, but the Metropolitan, the newest (and probably best) cinema here.

One thing I noticed: right from the opening scene, every sound effect was INCREDIBLY loud. Anyone else notice this, or was it the theatre punching up the volume? Dialog was at normal volume. The bit where the small house is attacked by the beast, and is destroyed
had some unbelievable bass!

Soundtrack was awesome too, I just found it on CD and had to get it.

I have one question regarding the plot:

Marianne's brother, with the missing arm - what was the deal there? Was it ever missing? Did he just pretend he'd lost it? If so, why? Or was it really missing, and grew back?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Saw it in DC tonight in a packed theater. Quite a fun movie. I explained it to my wife as a movie that stole most of the good ideas from the last few years and made a decent, comprehensible, FUN movie out of them. That DVD Patrick showed (and Sam D. mentioned) looks wonderful, but no doubt we'll get a one disc release in the US. You can't win them all. For once, living in DC paid off:)
3.5/4
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. Yes, Monica Bellucci is THAT hot!

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, I thought that he:

...faked it. he was injured, almost lost the arm, but managed to keep it. Since he is a conniving, evil, little bastage he kept it a secret. This would make his enemies underestimate him. Who would suspect a 'cripple' of a crime?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This was a great pleasure to watch. Solid fun all the way through and the Best French action film since La Femme Nikita.
I highly recommend it.
:star: :star: :star: 1/2

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am disappointed that it has not been released here in Saskatchewan yet. I will certainly keep looking for a release date. If anyone sees/hears about a release date up here in the Great White North, please let me know!

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Well, I'll be the first... As with Black Hawk Down, I seem to have a dissenting opinion. I too was looking forward to this film , and saw it tonight with someone who was really looking forward to it and another companion. We were all very disappointed. I won't critique it except to mention that we all found it quite cheesy, they both found it totally predictable, and I found the mix and match music insufferable. It had it's moments, but they were fleeting.

I'd rate it 2/5.

Btw, my screening was in French with English subs. Which we confirmed before attending.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a screening of Brotherhood last night and all I can is WOW! This movie was a blast. Quite an enjoyable flick. It was the perfect blend of everything and that made the flick quite original. I'll probably be seeing this movie quite a few times.
Yes, the movie was very loud. Especially the house scene and whenever they stepped off their horses.
I think the Matrix comparisons are way off the mark. For me this film had more of a Last of the Mohicans feel to it. It reminded me of a cross between Last of the Mohicans, Sleepy Hollow, Crouching Tiger, and the Howling (wolf reference only. :) )
The opening scene was quite brutal but from all the reviews I was expecting a lot of gore. This flick almost makes me want a region free player where I can get the 3 disc DVD. Go see Brotherhood now if you're lucky enough to be in a town where it's playing.
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks