What's new

*** Official "BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF"Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Troy, I think the title is deceiving. The filmmakers are purposely trying to get one to believe that the title refers to "The Brotherhood" (which is the only way it is referred to in the movie) that is composed of the villians. But, when looking at the relationship to wolves in the film, the connections were entirely positive in reality and completely connected to the heroes. That is why I think it is a misleading title. Even the Brotherhood doesn't refer to wolves. Their creature is simply "The Beast."

Eh, maybe I am wrong. It just struck me very differently after seeing the movie.
As to the CTHD, I guess I could see some of that in terms of tone and look, though CTHD is much more slow paced and thoughtful in it's approach vs. TBotW which is more akin to a "joy ride" in it's approach. It is in some ways closer to the Hong Kong style than CTHD, which was more akin to a costume drama. Opinions, all! Either way...great flick. Glad that European/Asian filmmakers are getting more attention over here. Hopefully this will waken the sloths in Hollywood who haven't made an original action picture since Die Hard. Since then, it is simply "Die Hard on a (insert vehicle/building/etc.) or, worse, "Like Lethal Weapon, but the buddies are (insert two diverse ethnic/cultural/age/gender partners)." Sheesh. Vive La Loupe!

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Well, I'll say I think you're both right. It refers to the "Brotherhood", the villians, and the good guys, fighting along side the wolves.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for this poster in french. I found one site but it costs $150, a little too much. If anyone can direct me to one for less, it has to be french. thanks

---jay

Lance_R

Stunt Coordinator
Another movie that you can draw some comparisons to is Predator, don't laugh the more me and friends talk about it the more we realize it. :)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Lance,
We'd all be more than interested in hearing the comparisons to Predator! :)
I can't seem to picture a connection, no matter how much I try...
Troy

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am kinda depressed! I was really looking forward to this flick and it still is not showing in a theater near me. At least you guys have confirmed that indeed it is a good film!

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Jassen: I just ordered a Brotherhood of the Wolf poster from PixPosters
They have a French version of the poster available for $35, but I'm not sure if its a folded version or rolled version. According to their site, some posters are shipped folded, while others are sent rolled in tubes.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The cinematography, MUSIC, and fight sequences (martial arts in France for chrissake) all tie it closely to CTHD.

It's funny, without reading here I said in my 2002 films list review that it was like Last of the Mohicans meets Sleepy Hollow meets CTHD.

Then I see the same thing said here. It's not just the Indian that makes it like Mohicans either, it the green cinematography, the gorgeously lush French forest settings, not unlike the New England setting in LotM.

Then in the next scene you would have a setting that would make Tim Burton shit his pants to have put into Sleepy Hollow. Very impressive cinematography. If you thought CTHD looked beautiful, you ain't seen nothing.

I also loved how the action was cut. In an early fight scene we get a good shot of Mani knocking a guy down with a cut to a low angle close up of the guy splashing into a mud puddle in slow mo. Very well cut to enhance and SHOW OFF the action rather than hide the lack there of (Gladiator for example).

Also the great scene transitions. The most notable would be the breasts into mountains which was stunning to say the least. But many other scenes are disolved or faded to other scenes just perfectly.

The characters and settings are terrific fun as well.

If only the story didn't dissolve into The 13th Warrior or Conan the Barbarian at the end. Not that I disliked it, but it was a bit too predictable (I guessed it at many points early but the film keeps you off-balance till the last act almost).

The assassin from Rome made me think of Elizabeth a little.

Still, the stew cooked up from these ingrediants is something fresh and energized.

I also thought it could be a double meaning title. The main implication at the end is the Brotherhood of villans who promoted the idea of a killer wolf as revenge on the king. At the same time the true wolves were allied with Mani and Fronsac, who were in turn blood brothers themselves. It was shown how much it pained Mani when the wolves were killed.

So I think the title ends up meaning both sides with different reasons. Maybe the end shows us that the FALSE Brotherhood of the Wolf is defeated by the TRUE AND RIGHTEOUS Brotherhood of the Wolf. That's how it struck me.

The opening bit is so Jaws it's amazing, yet at the same time unique in how they achieved the same effect in a much different setting. And the violence of it still sets you back with some fear.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Saw this last night in Austin. I was glad to go in with no more knowledge that what I got from the trailer. In the first minute I saw the film pay homage to The Sound Of Music, Star Wars and Jaws. The glorious mess of cinema just roared on after that.

I would like to mention the subtitles. I see a fair amount of foreign films and, of course, I prefer they NOT be dubbed. Having said that, I was missing visual grandeur in BOTW 'cause I was busy reading. So, when I get the DVD there may be a night when I just flip on the English language track and enjoy the view.

It's far from perfect but it's beautiful and I recommend this movie!

nate n

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is awesome. I would recommend it to anyone. The cinematography is beautiful. I dont know where they shot the movie, but the landscape is gorgeous. The directing and acting is superb. The story blends in with the legend quite well. The fighting scenes are great. This movie is a great mixture of many genre's. The movie moves at a constant pace for the first hour than gets really good. The only bad thing i could say was that the cgi was not that great (compared to ilm/dreamworks productions). what can u expect, it's a french movie. I will be buying this movie on dvd as soon as it comes out and i'll probably end up seeing it again real soon. Anyone who enjoyed lord of the rings or crouching tigher should really check this movie out. And if everything i've said doesn't convince you, just go watch it cause Monica Belluci's in it.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I just got the fine pleasure of watching this film tonight and here is all I have to say about this film:
While watching this film I felt as if someone had opened a 50 gallon drum of whoop ass and splashed it all over me!
This film is a MUST see.
Eve

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Eve,

Did you go to Kerasotes south to see it? If so, did the print have lines running in it pretty badly during the first 10 minutes or so (from damage?). Or how did it look if I assume they didn't ship the print down to Kerasotes from UA 96th St?

The print at United Artists was damaged like that although it got better.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Seth I didn't see any problems such as lines going through anything, one thing I did notice is that as the film progressed part of the subtitles were cut off near the bottom but you could make out what they were without too much trouble. I did go to Karasotes on the south side.

Peace,

Eve

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, bet they got a new print then. The Sony print had at least 10 black lines scratched into it for the first 10-15 minutes.
Subtitles being cut off were because they were projecting it too low. At Sony 96th it was too low to the point you could also see the gray above the frame, but the projectionist/manager touched it up about 15 minutes into it.
I'm not sure that the Kerasotes people watch the projectors as closely, depends on the person I guess. Anyway, I usually stick to K. South or Castleton Arts, but only Sony had it last week.
It was worth putting up with the problems (the film I mean). :)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Well I quit my job today (well yesterday but went into work because for my next job, my friend [manager] might need a reference and I don't want my old boss to be able to say I quit on a day I was supposed to work on) and what better way to spend the first day "free" then dinner and a movie.

I went to Outback Steakhouse :) with a group of friends and then "saw" "The Mothman Prophecies" ("Can I see your ID please?" ;)) I'm only 16.

Well, after you've gotten my drift you'll understand that damn, I liked BOTW. I didn't mind the subtitles except the fact I wanted to see that woman "bust" on Jean Francois' face but couldn't because I had to read those damn subtitles for such an odd dialogue. Who in the hell has a casual conversation while shagging??? "LOL"

I'm a bit confused about the ending Am I correct: The narrator is that guy who was dragged when bitten on the arm and was also the guy who shot the pumpkin with the arrow and then that flower pot? If I'm right, why the hell was he being shoved at the end, was it a riot against him?!!? And, he knew that they got the Beast from Africa from a group of wolves? And trained the meanest to be meaner. How did he know of this? Was the prostitute a law official/witchcraftress?? She brought him [Jean Francois] back to life and then placed (the survivors..) the follwers called Wolves of God under arrest. Also, damn incest.. ewww.

I was thrilled to see Mark Dacascos, at first I thought he wasn't going to speak French seeing that he didn't speak like more than 15 minutes in and also because..read on..

"Read on:" Mark Dacascos was in the The Crow: Stairway To Heaven TV series. He was in that copaoilla(sp?) "Only the Strong" (AWESOME!!!! Martial arts fans, see this movie [if not yet watched/heard of]!!) and some movie where he kills some robotic ninja and others too long to bother with. I'm really interested to know as how he was casted into a French film, do International casters offer roles to domestic actors or something? Is he from France (doubt it very much) Was he auditioning for French films? Again, I'm interested.

Visuals were awesome!! Some things are a bit confusing about the movie though such as: I'm assuming Marianne was still alive, even though there was no emphasis on the "magic powder" working. And, in the very beginning, why were the (were they members of the WOG?) men chasing the father of the biAtch, I mean they were both like immediately close to the Beast scenario stuff. Also, to think if one makes a fake Beast, how is it so you can believe no one will hear of any (would you call them murders since not commited by humans?) "murders."

Anyway, I have a bit more questions but I belive that's enough...for now :)

-Bert

P.S. One of the trailers was for "Zu Warriors", this movie's effects are so shiznatic. Why do the "Asian films" always have that old crappy film lens look. A soap opera looks better visually!!

Also, "The Master of Disguise" with Dana Carvey will make like 3 million dollars opening weekend :laugh: but it made me laugh my a$s off. W00t.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I believe he was being dragged off at the end because of the: French Revolution.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Your questions...

Sylvia (the ultra hot Belluci) was

the spy from Rome that was mentioned earlier. Basically a professional spy/assassin employed by the Pope. And yes, the Popes did use assassins and skullduggery at that time. The church was much more aggressively political at that time...see Elizabeth for example. She was like Willard going up the river after the renegade Kurtz in Apoc. Now, sent by the church to reel in the renegade relgious zealots in the Brotherhood.

If you were an aristocrat during the French Revolution, you lost your head, simple as that. That was the only discretion they used in picking who to kill, and even not being an aristocrat wasn't a sure thing either.

Thomas would have known all the details from Fronsac and the clean-up investigation/cover-up. Once they knew who was in the Brotherhood they could start fleshing out the details. Remember the animals keeper loved the animal and was alive at the end of the film. I assume he told them much of the animal's history.

Also the early hassling of those 2 was probablybecause he might not have wanted to care for the animal or was mad at not getting paid properly for taking care of the beast. He says he healed their horses, but we can figure at the end of the film that this was BS and he didn't want to say "I helped heal the beast and they won't pay me now".

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I finally went to see this today, and I had a great time. I kept looking at the Jean-Francois guy and thinking, "wasn't he the Russian guy in Birthday Girl?" Yep, Vincent Cassel it is. This was rather funny to me because this makes Birthday Girl the missing link between the only two French films I've seen in a theater... the other "Russian" was Mathieu Kassovitz, who was in Amélie.

Oh, and while you're all drooling over Monica Bellucci, I think Emilie Dequenne is the most captivating creature I've seen in a movie in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks