What's new

***Official Blue Laser Software Disc. Thread*** (f/k/a "Hi-Def DVDs by Christmas?") (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
It is not too early to pass judgement on MPEG 4. MPEG4 is clearly, unquestionably too lossy and looks inferior to MPEG 2.

When are people going to realize you don;t get something for nothing and all the industry wants to do is give you the LEAST they can and make the most profit. MPEG-4 is APPEALING ONLY BECAUSE IT MAKES THE INDUSTRY THE MOST MONEY--WHY? BECAUSE IT ALLOWS THE INDUSTRY TO KEEP RED LASER, AND KEEP COSTS DOWN WHICH IS MORE PROFIT. MPEG-4 is a way to CLAIM 1080i output, when in actuality, the quality has gone down. I'll say it again... You can gain more lines of resolution with MPEG 4, but you will LOSE quality (another way of saying resolution) within the individual lines. MPEG-4 is a different algorithm, and it is also a lot harsher.

If you want the BEST entertainment, i.e., best picture and sound, you want to support the best format. Currently, Digital VHS is that format. Trust me when I say you support HD-DVD by supporting Digital VHS as soon as it is released. When HD-DVD is released, you can then drop D-VHS support. Always support format which takes performance to an entire new level, or else, it is only more of a reason to show the industry that QUALITY IS NOT IMPORTANT. We all want HD-DVD, who wouldn't? But it is essential to show your vote for quality by supporting what D-VHS represents--that quality of experience is of utmost importance and that you will not settle for more unessessary INTERIM FORMATS. Do you really think we need ANOTHER GENERATION of DVD PLAYERS BEFORE BLUE RAY HD-DVD TYPE OF PERFORMANCE? CLearly, it is yet another EXCUSE to MILK THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF RED LASER. Further, it has already been said that the NEW BLue Laser would in one way or another (dual optical pickup) be able to play standard red laser DVD and CD. Do we need another PSEUDO HD-DVD RED LASER FORMAT to further push back what we really want?

Further, there is competition between Digital VHS and BACKERS of HD-DVD. Support D-VHS and you will pressure earlier release of an HD-DVD FMD/Blue laser format. I can guarantee that you will enjoy the beautiful increase in quality of Digital VHS while you wait for HD-DVD to appear. I will buy a Digital VHS player and the prerecorded 1080i movies that are released. For those interested, I will make sure you get them at near dealer cost, if not dealer cost itself... Same goes for when the first Blue Laser HD-DVD is available. SUPPORT HIGH QUALITY AS FOR WHAT MATTERS MOST. IT IS THE EXPERIENCE THAT MATTERS MOST, IMO.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Is this sonys butt ugly blue laser player?
sony04.jpg

I hope the image will look waaaay better than the machine.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
YES!!!

Cartridges are back!

No more scratched discs!

No more obnoxious cases!

No more shipping damage!

No more ugly screen printing!

And cartridges are so much more fun to hold than discs!

Maybe they'll even sell caddies for use with my current DVDs!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute! I'm now officially confused. A while back we were talking about the impending battle between Warner's red-laser proposal, the Blu-Ray proposal, and Toshiba's new blue laser proposal. Am I now to understand that the impending HD-DVD format war is now over, and Toshiba has agreed on Blu-Ray, and dropped their recordable/backwards compatible blue laser proposal? What's the deal gere? This is extremely confusing.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Toshiba and Warner have split their joint alliance here...Warner is still pushing for red-laser MPEG4 and Toshiba has a *different* blue-laser version from Sony/Philip (it has less storage but doesn't use a caddy).
I think it is too early to pass judgement on MPEG4. The comments I'm seeing about MPEG4 being unsuitable reminds me of the comments about MPEG2 that were made by the diehard laserdisc owners -- before they all bought DVD players.
Nothing wrong with MPEG4. In fact, if it's really as good as Warner says it is...I'd love to see it used on a BLUE LASER HD-DVD format ;)
It's just that at the same pathetic data-rate we have for SD-DVD, even MPEG4 isn't going to deliver "looks like the master tape" 1080 images. They're going to FILTER FILTER FILTER the heck out of those HD images to compress them. They'll probably end up looking like animation if Warner gets it's way. Remember folks. Warner is interested in the royalties it would get from the red-laser format...they're not putting our goals of image and audio quality first. These are the same guys who won't 16x9 encode 1.66:1 transfers and refuse to use the 448 kbps data-rate for audio with the discs they produce today.
-dave

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Mmmmm, cartridges... *drools*
And what's so ugly about the player, anyway? Looks pretty nice to me :emoji_thumbsup:

John Milton

Second Unit
Daniel J:
YES!!!
Cartridges are back!
No more scratched discs!
No more obnoxious cases!
No more shipping damage!
No more ugly screen printing!
Hell yeah! I haven't been following this topic that closely but I am very interested in HD-DVD and will buy one as soon as it's available here in the States. And I fully agree with Daniel about the cartridges. That's a simply outstanding idea! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
For those 'proposing' dual sided DVD/HD-DVD disc.

Consumers don't like dual sided disc (this goes for DVD-A too! Trying to do Red Book/HiRez disc's as well, no go!)

For those wanting 'more' than two hours a side.

That will take MORE compression. Taking us further away from HD, not closer!

DVD's started with 133 minutes a side (before dual layer).

I believe that amount of time, aloud 90% of all movies to 'fit' on one side of a single layer DVD.

I'll guess, 80% of 'all' movies would 'fit' on a 120 minute a side disc.

And do you think the unwashed masses are going to care about 13 minutes? Non-issue!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks