What's new

*** Official BAFTA award winners 2001 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
If there was one thing the BAFTAS have over the OSCARS it is the presenter - Stephen Fry was hilarious, and was able to get away with much more than a presenter would at the OSCARS.

‘That’s enough tedious wank from me. Let’s party.’

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
The thought of one awards ceremony or another having an effect on the outcome of Oscar votes disturbs me, it's a suggestion I've never taken to frankly. The BAFTAs are indeed becoming more acknolwedged, but sure enough they will never match they hype of the Oscars, nor do I ever want them to.

Were the BAFTAs ever to become more like the Oscars, Stephen Fry would be banned from hosting. Indeed, Fry injects his intelligence, honesty and delightfuly dry and witty humour into presenting the ceremony that really appeals to (most of) those in the auditorium.

The BAFTAs tend to offer up an incresingly more laid back and enjoyable evening, much like the Oscars were in their early days when the nominees and stars would gather around tables for dinner, unlike these days where they put up with commercial breaks every ten minutes in a night that usualy over runs. There's less arse kissing, or "greasy flattery" as Fry refered to it on stage, with the BAFTAs, and I hope it's something that isn't lost. If it continues to retain this, it wouldn't surprise me to see more and more stars deem it their ceremony (not award, especially) of choice.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks