What's new

*** Official BAFTA award winners 2001 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
First off, thumbs down to the BBC for not having the respect and guts to show tonight's event live here in the UK (these are, essentially, the British oscars). :angry: And now, onto zee winners:
Best Film
The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson, Barrie M Osborne, Tim Sanders & Fran Walsh)
Alexander Korda Award (outstanding British film of the year)
Gosford Park (Robert Altman, Bob Balaban & David Levy)
The Carl Forman Award (for most promising British Newcomer)
Joel Hopkins & Nicola Osborne for 'Jump Tomorrow'
Best Director
Peter Jackson (Fellowship of the Ring
Original Screenplay
Amelie (Guillaume Laurant & Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
Adapted Screenplay
Shrek (Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, Joe Stillman & Roger S.H. Schulman)
Best Actress
Judi Dench (Iris)
Best Actor
Russel Crowe (A beautiful Mind)
Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind)
Best Supporting Actor
Jim Broadbent (Moulin Rouge)
Music
Craig Armstrong & Marius De Vries (Moulin Rouge)
Foreign Film
Amores Perros (Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu)
Cinematography
The Man who Wasn't There (Roger Deakins)
Production Design
Amelie (Aline Bonetto)
Costume Design
Gosford Park (Jenny Beavan)
Editing
Mullholland Drive (Mary Sweeney)
Sound
Moulin Rouge (Andy Nelson, Anna Behlmer, Roger Savage, Guntis Sics, Gareth Vanderhope & Antony Gray)
Visual Effects
The Fellowship of the Ring (Jim Rygiel, Richard Taylor, Alex Funke, Randall William Cook & Mark Stetson)
Hair & Make up
The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Owen, Peter King & Richard Taylor)
Short Film
About a Girl (Janey de Nordwall, Brian Percival & Julie Rutterford)
Animated Short
Dog (Suzie Templeton)
Michael Balcon Award (for contribution to British Cinema)
Vic Armstrong
Academy Fellowship#1
Merchant Ivory Productions
Academy Fellowship#2
Warren Beaty
Special Award
EON Productions (for 40 years of James Bond 007)
Orange Film of the year Award (public vote)
The Fellowship of the Ring
Full list of those nominated can be found here at Bafta.com... The results seem to have varied nicely, if a little lacking on the Moulin Rouge side of things. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Dan

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
That is odd that it's not broadcast live -- but it's better than here in the US, where it won't be broadcast at all till March 1.

Still this is exciting news. The BAFTAs have matched the Oscars very closely for the past 5 years, which bodes well for the winners. But what do you mean by "public vote" for best picture? Surely not the general public? You mean the entire membership of the Academy?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Brian, there are Two Best Picture awards if you look above. The one listed as Best Film is voted for by members of the BAFTA academy.
The Orange Film of the year Award (the Orange telecoms network is the sponsor of BAFTA) is a category in which the nominations are listed in a number of magazines and on a number of television programmes allowing for the general public to vote for what they considered the previous years best picture.
This award is always a bit of a farce, or at least disturbing in the pure shit that gets nominated (for instance, Mummy Returns, Jurassic Park 3, Hannibal...and so on were amongst the top 10 nominees this year).
Dan (UK)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Congratulations to all the BAFTA winners, especially FOTR. Well done.
However I don't think these wins will have any affect on Academy voters, since until last year, the Baftas were always awarded after the Oscars, so they were inflenced by them, and not the other way around.
Still...it can't hurt.:)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Im glad FOTR won Best Picture. I read that in like the past 3 years or something whatever film won BP at the BAFTAs won the Oscar. I think its true this year too.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Wahay! Congrats to the Bafta Winners, and nice to see the Brits didn't chicken out of giving the top award to a spectacular 3-hour fantasy film and not some yawn inducing critic-friendly period drama.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
However I don't think these wins will have any affect on Academy voters, since until last year, the Baftas were always awarded after the Oscars, so they were inflenced by them, and not the other way around.

The 1998 and 1999 BAFTA were held about 2 weeks after the Oscars handed out their awards. Not knowing when the actual BAFTA ballots are due, I don't know whether the Oscars influenced BAFTA in these two specific years. But their picks for 1998 and 1999 were Shakespeare In Love and American Beauty, respectively, also the Oscar picks.

Last year was the first year the BAFTA ceremony was held a month before the Oscar where they also picked the Gladiator much like the Oscars.

The BAFTA now is in a position to influence the Oscars as the Oscar ballots are not due until sometime next month.

~Edwin

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats to Jennifer Connelly. Been a big fan of hers since Labyrinth. She is a huge talent that is finaly starting to get the regognition she deserves. 3 stunning performances in the last 2 years - Waking the Dead, Requiem for a Dream and Beautiful Mind. I'm sure that The Hulk next year is going to make her a household name.

Great to see Amelie getting a couple of awards but was suprised not to see Moulin Rouge picking up more.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How much prestige do these awards hold in Great Britain? Are they anywhere in the vicinity of the Oscars or are they more in tune with, say, the People's Choice awards?:D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Tino, there was a big article in the L.A. Times a day or two ago about the BAFTAS, and how they're becoming increasingly respected. The article said that, next to the Oscars and the Golden Globes, they have become the most prestigious film award in the world, and are positioning themselves to unseat the Golden Globes as the most important precursor to the Oscars.
And I've just got to give you a hard time about your earlier comment. You said the BAFTAS won't influence the Oscars THIS YEAR because TWO YEARS AGO they were held after the Oscars. Huh??? :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Are the Oscars prestigious Tino? Some members were trashing the Oscars on the official thread for giving out Oscars to Gladiator, I'd say the BAFTAS are just as 'prestigious' as the Oscars, actually I had no problem with Gladiator winning both British and American Best Film Awards.
ps. Strange that Harry Potter and the Magic Broomstick didn't win any BAFTAS considering how popular it was over here...;)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
With all due respect and sincere apology I have to add also that I’m glad Harry Potter got what it deserved! I’m not saying that it’s a bad movie, just that it didn’t deserve any awards.

PS - I saw Steve's post after I wrote and posted this!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Brian
My point is that the BAFTA's have never influenced Oscar voters in the past since they were always awarded after the Oscars. Get it?:D
Last year was the first year that the BAFTA's were awarded first, probably because they were always in Oscars shadow and got little press. So saying that the past five years, the winners of the Bafta's and the Oscars have been the same may be misconstrued as the BAFTA award influencing Oscar voters, which until last year was not the case.
And I'll accept that they are becoming more prestigious, but in regard to influencing Oscar voters, I don't think they are that highly regarded here yet.:)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
From Variety:

Another studio exec confides that winning a BAFTA, though not to be sneezed at, is regarded in Hollywood as less important - in the context of the greater Oscar race - than being nominated. That's partly a matter of timing: The noms, announced Jan. 28, have more time to make an impact than the awards themselves, handed out Feb. 24, just days before the oscar voting deadline.

It also reflects the fact that BAFTA noms are decided by an open membership vote, whereas most of the awards - apart from picture and four acting prizes - are chosen by committee. This means that an effective campaign that sways the membership can end up having no influcence on who gets the final prize.
In short, the Academy members do not sit around and wait who wins the BAFTA before turning in their Oscar ballots.

~Edwin

mark_d

Second Unit
I don't understand when Shrek and FOTR can be up for adapted screenplay, FOTR wins best pic and best director, but gets beaten on adapted screenplay?

Barry Norman - respected(ish) ex-TV and magazine film critic - questioned how best pic could be separated from best director. I'm with him.

I remember a few years ago, there was an awards ceremony for radio shows. Best radio show went to Radio 1's breakfast show. Best morning show went to Virgin's breakfast show?!?! It may have been vice-versa but you get the idea...

FWIW, I'm not a big awards show lover - I'm happy just to hear the results the following day, but I do like to see "my" movies win. As such, I would have preferred to see Moulin Rouge win best picture. It absolutely blew me away. I gave FOTR a second chance, but still failed to "get it". Fairly enjoyable fantasy romp, yes - but so was Krull...

Mark

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, I agreed less with the BAFTA voters than usual. Very pleased Jim Broadbent won for Moulin Rouge, however.
Barry Norman - respected(ish) ex-TV and magazine film critic - questioned how best pic could be separated from best director. I'm with him.
I'm not. Such a separation is entirely necessary. Give a decent director like Robert Altman the Plan 9 from Outer Space script to direct and you can be sure it will win plaudits for directing but certainly won't win best pic!
Finally, I actually prefer Krull to FOTR. I didn't like PJ's direction or interpretation (that's not to say it was bad or wrong, just not my cup of tea). And before Mr B sharpens his knives, let me say that I finally bought the audio CD this morning! ;)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
not some yawn inducing critic-friendly period drama.
Steve, If you're saying that, then you haven't seen the film. It certainly LOOKS like a boring period drama from the trailers, but its so much more. It is amazingly funny. Brilliantly poignant. And a wonderful jab at English class values. Seriously. See it. You WILL change you're opinion. I promise. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Paul I wasn't actually referring to Gosford Park (I assume thats the film you meant), but period dramas in general that pop up now and than, and always seem to get unanimous praise from the critics, and a clutch of Oscar nods, its not my favorite genre, I'm a science fiction fan actually and Gosford Park is as far from SF as you can get, but I will give it a rental when it pops up on video, I promise.:)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
As I said in the Oscar thread, the most interesting thing about BAFTAs is that they spread it around.
I can't believe Edwin thinks the Academy members will not take notice of the BAFTA results but WERE watching all those primetime FOTR ads. ;)
Gladiator being our only indicator I suppose we can at least conclude that there isn't necessarily a BAFTA backlash with the Academy.
But certainly BAFTA is very British oriented (obviously). Denzel not even nominated as Actor as one example. Plus watching the box office shows that FOTR played even stronger in England than in the US.
The only thing I read out of this is to expect the Oscars to be spread around just like BAFTA did.
Definately one of the more wide open fields in some time. Globe for ABM, AFI and BAFTA for FOTR. Quite a battle raging on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks