What's new

*** Official AMERICAN GANGSTER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Anyone noticed the mics at the top of the screen during this one?

I noticed it in at least 2 scenes.

A good but not great movie.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

Sounds like the projectionist misframed it.

No mics when I saw it today.
I also agree, good not great.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Is that tiny bit after the credits (which is also shown in the trailer) supposed to be tied into any part of the movie in particular?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At 160 minutes, I didn't stick around to the very end because the rent was due on the soft drink I consumed, but if you spoilerize the tidbit, I'll let you know.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "American Gangster". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "American Gangster" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You hear footsteps. Frank walks in shadow toward the camera, and when he shoots, the flash makes him visible.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
My guess is that it's just supposed to be a talking point for those who stay through the credits. It comes right after the film's title at the end, so it gives us a visual representation of the American gangster. It's definitely not as cool as the undead monkey from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I thought it was more akin to the end of "The Great Train Robbery" as in what Scorsese did in "Goodfellas", maybe? Good flick though.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have such mixed feelings about this film. It's well crafted, decently done. But knowing that the criminal behind it is grandfathered (prior to Son of Sam law) and is profitting from it stuck in my craw all while I watched. And I know that's a ridiculous thing, but if I hadn't seen it for free, it would have stuck with me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Here's a true story. A few nights ago, my wife and I had an early dinner in a Times Square restaurant we go to frequently. It was Monday night, so the place was pretty quiet except for an exceptionally large group, at least a dozen people, crowded around a table in the middle of the restaurant. A group that big is unusual in this place, and we kept glancing over at it, thinking that perhaps there was a celebrity in their midst that we somehow weren't recognizing.

The group left when we were about halfway through our dinner, and the maitre d', who knows us, came over to our table and said, "Do you know who that was?"

Pause.

"Frank Lucas."

Pause.

"He was kind of difficult to satisfy."

He didn't need to elaborate any further. :D

M.

Callisto

Auditioning
Real Name
Wolfgang
Hi Guys
I'm new in this forum.

Just watched the movie yesterday.
I agree with patrick on the point that the main character are drawn in a very flat manner. A lot of potential has been wasted here.
I'm convinced that the person of Frank Lukas (wikipedia) would have been highly recommended for a character drama like "Batman Begins".
I would have appreciated it to learn more about Frank Lucas, his background and motivations.

Greetings from Germany
Ben

staceyswift7

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey
so if you didn't know, American Gangster was nominated for a bunch of awards, including 3 Golden Globes. i just found this cool awards site that has a bunch of articles on the awards season and predictions and stuff. check it out and lemme know what you think!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
awardswatch.fandango.com/

budrichard

Auditioning
The aspect ratio was wrong. I checked my DVD player and Sony TV to be assured they were set up correctly. The vehicles were the most evident.
Anyone else notice this?-Dick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks