What's new

*** Official "8 MILE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

John,
I'm sorry if this is harsh, but if you have no interest in this film than why bother to post in this thread? Most of us want to discuss this film without having to read why you don't even want to give the film a chance by seeing it because you don't like the lead actor nor rap music. When I come across a film or a subject matter that I don't care for then there is little chance I will post in that thread. Why should I spoil somebody else's discussion?

Crawdaddy

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, it's not as if i've not given this film some thought. I've read some of the reviews and have taken them into consideration, however I can't find anything that makes me want to see it. My post wasn't a knee jerk reaction to Eminem, but I can find nothing about the story that intersets me.
As for me posting in the first place, I thought that my post was just as valid as those who post who have not seen the film yet but are going to. Is this not discussing the film? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How can you discuss a film that you have no intention in seeing? Better yet, why would those interested in this film want to discuss it with a person that has little interest in the film and is close-minded about the subject matter? Don't answer those questions because I don't want this sidebar discussion to hijack this thread. If you want to discuss it any further than PM or email me about it.

Crawdaddy

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
[EDITED] Ahh, forget it, Crawdaddy expressed my feelings exactly.

Btw, this Polland guy was on the O'Reilly Factor tonight, you might still be able to catch it if you're out west. Again, if you care.

--
Holadem

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alrighty. Sheesh, all I said was I had no interest in seeing the film. Apparently an opinion other than a positive one isn't allowed.

Sorry, my bad.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I fail to see anything wrong with including negative female characters. Should every female character be the ideal woman?
No but the opposite need not be true either. I don't agree 100% with Poland's take on 8 Mile, but I think he does make some salient points in regard to the portrayal of women in the film.

As for his comments regarding the African-American characters, the intellectual is ridiculed, and Mekhi Phifer's character is portrayed as more or less a failure in the eyes of those around him. (They see continuing to host the rap battles as an inability to do anything better.)

Regarding his praising of the technical aspects and such, a film can be technically proficient or accomplished and still a failure, be it from storytelling or moral aspects (The Birth of a Nation being an obvious example of a technical masterpiece with less than savory ideology). For a less extreme example, the new DePalma is a technically proficient film, but parts of the story didn't fascinate me.

I liked 8 Mile, more or less, but I do think it seems like some of my fellow critics are falling over themselves trying to praise it and jump on the Eminem bandwagon. I think it is worthwhile to discuss how this film attempts to reimagine Eminem within the popular consciousness. (No, it may not be his true story, but I think for those not very familiar with him, the general impression is that 8 Mile is autobiographical.)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

The difference is that you are commenting on a particular actor and what that actor does for a living other than act. And on the type of music it represents. It has nothing to do with the film. Now getting into this thread after you have seen the film and then saying you didn't like is one thing but to just get into a thread and say you aren't going to see it because you don't like an actor that is in it is not discussing the film at all.

So your comment was neither positive or negative about the film. It was negative about the actor and the type of music he records for a living.

Parker

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Let's get one thing out of the way, just off the bat. I'm not a rap fan. While I've progressed past my childish state of denying there's any artistic merit to rap (there is), I also don't listen to it by choice despite agreeing it's music. I may be becoming an Eminem fan, but I'm not sure. Somewhere in the last year, I decided I'd misjudged him somewhat. Again, I'm no rap guy, but Eminem seems to have a unique ability to wordsmith in a rap manner, which I think makes him a good rapper. All I know is, having reached this decision about his artistic abilities, I've listened to some of his material a little differently. Upon doing so, I discovered there's message in his music, more than the shallow "guns and fun and homies" theme I'd assumed was prevalent.

Upon reading a number of reviews for 8Mile, including the two linked above, it seems clear a number of folks didn't watch the film. It seems abundantly clear a number of *reviewers* didn't really watch it. They sat through it, sure, but they watched through the lens of their own perception, they applied their own interpretations to the actions onscreen. That's fine, I feel they're allowed; but if you're gonna write about a film, I think you should make an honest attempt to try and watch the film.

I have no real desire to go through and flag what reviewers I think missed the mark, nor do I wish to detail how. Leave it that I feel they did.

8Mile is about life, really. It's not actually about being a young white rapper who makes it out of a ghetto in Detroit, though that is the film's plot. The movie has no big happy ending, there's not riches or glory or magic solutions. At the open, Rabbit is awaiting his turn onstage at a local rap contest, a kind of throw down where you're paired onstage with another rapper, and the two of you rap in effort to sway the crowd to cheer for you and your work. He's nervous, as most of us would be. By winning in this venue, Rabbit can mark his name and have a better chance to have his material score where money is involved. Money he wants to tap into as an artist.

For lots of folks, especially in America, we all have dreams. I believe everyone has at least one dream, at least one, even if they don't admit it to themselves. Some people dream enough for a legion of other, more casual dreamers. Some people have fanciful dreams, others have simpler visions. Some people try in concrete and real terms to pursue their dream. Some leave dreams in the realm of imagination forever. A frosty road never traveled.

In 8Mile, Rabbit knows his dream. He knows how to go about it. He just has to do it, to prove not really to anyone other than himself, that his dream is real. That his dream can come true. His mother, for most of the film, derides his dreams. She tells him they're just that, and they won't happen. His friends tell him his dreams will come true, and Rabbit spends most of the film shrugging them off.

Back with the film's opening, Rabbit is called to the stage for his shot. He stands there with the microphone, the music (beat) running, a crowd assembled and listening expectantly. Have any of you ever been to a stand-up comedy club? Have you ever seen a stand-up comedian who isn't making the crowd laugh? The isolation, the space, the pain. As bad as it can be to sit in the audience when something like that is going on, imagine being the guy on the stage whose jokes aren't working. Who isn't telling any jokes. Who's just standing there, frozen and unable to deliver.

Rabbit chokes. He flees from his dreams, with laughter and amusement at his failure ringing, ringing loudly, in his ears. Everyone knows what happened.

Curtis Hanson skillfully crafts the film, which spends a good portion of its time carefully detailing the myriad ways Rabbit's life is bottom of the barrel. Beyond bottom, when Rabbit hits the screen in this movie, he's tumbling through the trapdoor from where he used to think rock bottom was. From this, we see what Rabbit does once he's subsurface.

What I feel the detractors, and fanbois, of 8Mile are missing is the focus of the movie. The film is about seizing your dreams and refusing to let others deter you from their pursuit. It's such a simple, easily said thing. Refuse to not follow your dream. Dedicate yourself to seeing your vision become reality. Such simple words, they come so easily off the tongue.

It's hard to do. Most people never follow their dreams. If they do, they're following another dream, one they've substituted for the other dreams they decided were too beyond reach. Most folks shelve their dreams away to never see the light of day. Hardly anyone actually lays it out and goes for what they want, for what they hunger for, for what they yearn after in their heart. Hardly anyone goes for their dream, the real deal.

8Mile shows one guy at the bottom of everything find within himself what he needs to reach for his dream. He doesn't find this mysterious something alone, nor does he do so in a heroic manner. There isn't a magic solution in 8Mile, and no one hands him a key. What Rabbit discovers is following his dreams begin and end within himself. As it does for anyone.

Mekhi Phifer plays Rabbit's friend, Future. He's the organiser and host of a weekly rap contest, where Rabbit fails so ignominiously at the movie's start. Throughout the story, Future is there urging him to not sweat the bad stuff, to just bust out and make it happen. Throughout most of the movie, Rabbit shakes Future off; Future never lets it get to him, and continues to cheer Rabbit on. At the lowest point of the story, Rabbit throws Future's help in his face. Somewhere after this, Rabbit realises Future is his friend, and that as his friend he was trying to help.

The key to the movie's message is in dialog shortly before the final scene. One of Rabbit's friends finds him before the rap contest and tells him who he's drawn to compete against. "I don't give a fuck who it is." Rabbit replies.

With that answer, Rabbit showed he'd moved beyond all the unimportant things that could get in the way of his dream pursuit. He'd accepted his success or failure was internal, and only his own fault. Not anyone else's. Not his mother's for the way she treats him, not his job's for being such a menial circumstance, not his car's for being such a piece of junk, not his enemies' for the things they do to screw with him, and not even his friends' for the help they give him.

He realised his dream was his, and no one else was going to pursue it for him. And that no one else could get in the way if he doesn't let them. That his dream is his to seize.

He found the truth of this. It's enough if you only believe it is.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
David,
Ditto to Max. Great post.
BTW, I knew that this movie was going to be big, but not THAT big. $54 mil, great googly moogly

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I came into this film as an admirer of Curtis Hanson's work, but not a fan of hip-hop or Eminem. That said, this movie worked for me on just about every level.
The storyline is pretty derivative, but there aren't that many original stories to tell, and sometimes it's about the craft with which the story is told. The direction, photography, writing, and music are all terrific.
As for the acting, I was extremely pleased to see Eminem pull off this pivotal role. If he had failed, everything else would fall apart. And I don't buy the argument that Eminem was simply playing himself. Virtually everyone reading this would fail miserably if asked to portray themselves in an autobiographical film. Acting just isn't that easy. It will be interesting to see if Eminem has any acting chops beyond this character which must have seemed quite familiar to him.
As I said, I'm not a hip-hop fan, but my toes were tapping several times as I sat in the theater. So much so that I will be picking up the soundtrack CD.
I won't rehash the "all women are portrayed negatively" argument other than to say I think that premise is simply not valid.
Highly recommended.
Rob

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Her song, "Love Don't Cost A Thing" didn't reach #1 until February.

Actually, you're both mistaken about that. "Love Don't Cost A Thing" never hit #1, not on Billboard's Hot 100, anyway. She didn't have a #1 hit that year till "I'm Real" in September of 2001.

But I was wrong about "The Bodyguard" -- the film never hit #1 at all, believe it or not. It couldn't dislodge "Home Alone." But "Purple Rain" didn't do it either -- the film was only #1 for the weekend of July 27, 1984, and the soundtrack album didn't hit #1 until the following week, although the song "Let's Go Crazy" was #1.

Sorry to get off topic, but now I am curious how many artists besides Eminem have pulled off this feat -- simultaneous #1 film/#1 single/#1 album. Not that it means anything, but it's an interesting achievement.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I think the real test of Mather's acting ability would be for him to play a regular role in a movie that is not a life story or quasi-life story of himself. Until he does that, I think it is fair game to include one's opinion of his (sic) music and lyrics in a discussion about his first acting role where he's basically playing himself. Let him get some other roles and we'll see if he's up to the acting capabilities of other recording artists, such as Madonna. :rolleyes
Until then, this movie is little more than a commercial for his CD's, another avenue to attract publicity to his recording career.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
John-

First of all, I hope you've seen the movie.

Second, the movie is not his life story, even though it is somewhat similar. Nonetheless, acting in ANY role can be difficult, but if it's good then it will show. Eminem was good in 8 Mile, and it shows, regardless of whether it's his life story or not.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Moderators, please retitle this thread to "OFFICIAL 8 MILE - POSITIVE REMARKS ONLY - Discussion Thread", as it seems that any negative comments are not allowed. :thumbsdown:

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
John, you just don't get it.

If you have constructive criticisms about the actual film, then share them. If you just want to flame Eminem, perhaps you could find a regular Internet board to do so on? One where such communication is the norm, rather than the exception as it is here. Here we *discuss* movies, rather than merely exchanging flames and fanboi praise. It's what makes HTF a special place online.

I would encourage you to watch the film, and to do so WITHOUT the notion that I'm asking you because I want you to like the artist. I don't want you to like Eminem, I don't want you to like rap. But I do think you're missing an excellent film if you let your preconceived judgements about rap and Eminem prevent you from genuinely sitting and watching what Curtis Hanson has put together so adeptly.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well it seems like others who have made negative comments have been jumped on as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks